Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
So I am brand new (Green Recruit) to the 40k Universe, and the Imperial Guard's Armored Companies really caught my eye. I like the idea of large masses of tanks crossing the the field. The only problem was that I was limited to 1500 points at this moment in time. So, here it is.
HQ-Command Tank, Leman Russ with Heavy Bolter front and Heavy Bolter Pair on the side. -255 points
Heavy Support-(2x) Basilisk with Indirect fire.- 125/250
Tanks- (2x) Leman Russ with Heavy Bolter front and Heavy Bolter Pair on the Side. -155/310
Transport- (3x) Chimera with Multi-Laser on turret and Heavy Flamer on hull, also have Anti-mags . -95/285
Armored Fist- (3x) Guardsmen, one with a Heavy Flamer, one with a Frag Grenade, and one with a Krak Grenade. -69/205
Fast Attack- (3x) Cadian pattern Sentinel- 50/150
I have 20 points left over.
I'm pretty knew at this stuff too, but I'll try and make some worth while comments:
First of all, what type of army organization are you using? I'm not sure if you can have 3 tanks AND a basilisk. At least for a normal Guard army, all of those count as heavy support and you only get three choices.
Second, I'm not so sure that guardsmen can carry heavy flamers, can they? I think I've seen Catachan doing that but I guess I've always assumed that was a special thing for that specific army.
Anyways, I agree that the Guard is awesome and their armor definitely contributes to their awesomely awesome awesomeness ! I like your approach. Good luck.
We know, as they cannot, that there shall be a new dawn and a new day when we will rise and they will be driven into the darkness forever.
I'm using what is called an Armored Company, it is not in the standard IG codex. It make tanks, troops. Fore every 3 Leman Russes you need either a Command Tank, also serves as your HQ, or a Tank Ace. Also, from my understanding, Flamers can be attached to Armored Fist Units.
Just got done playing my AC today, so I'll give you some heads-up from my experience against a CC-Nid army that crushed me with 3x CC 'fexes:
1) Your army list as it stands is invalid, because of the "Aces High" rule - either put more doctrine upgrades on the HQ, or remove them from your transports.
2) Your army is pretty reliant on wiping the opposition out with shooting, whereas IMO the best way to use AC is to fire and maneuver - always moving gives you the save against CC, and the battlecannons don't suffer at all! Maybe lose the bassies, since by turn 2 now the opposition force will probably be upon you if they're CC, and you can still win a shootout with them if they're SAFH.
3) The BCs are generally enough to table light infantry that the HBs would shoot at; you are lacking in the true AT department. Hull Lascannons are a must! Hull HBs are nice if you don't have a huge budget for a tank of every type or magnetic sponsons, but IMO they aren't very useful for their points, because the tanks can't split fires or fire HBs and BC at the same time.
4) Your Armored Fist squads, does one have all frags in the squad, all kraks in the next, and a single flamer in the third? These guys are good for bulking up numbers; plus you could throw lascannons in here to alleviate the AT problem.
5) The Sentinels are a good idea, but are too delicate to put the majority of your heaviest anti-tank in when you could wipe them all out in one turn of CC or shooting. Three squads of them, on the other hand, with nine lascannons?
6) Also, in closing, your list is invalid because you have four Fast Attack slots right now with your three Armored Fists and one Sentinel Squadron.
Edit: You can't attach Heavy Flamers to the AF squads, unless it's the Hull Flamer on a Chimera, and it's 2 "tanks" to every HQ/Tank Ace, which doesn't include AF squads. Also, use your last 20 points for extra armor on the tanks.
Keep at it though, because AC is fun and produces relatively fast games that are fun even if you lose ( hugs his pieplates )
Last edited by fattmeezy; September 8th, 2008 at 02:40.
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.
1) I forgot about that, but I'll add a doctrine to my Command tank. I thought that only applied to the troop tanks, though I guess I was wrong.
2) Maybe drop a Bassie, and pick up another Russ? I was thinking with two Bassies I could suppress just about everything.
3) I though the more shots would be better since I have a main gun. Is there anyway to have a stronger main cannon to make a HB make more sense?
4) Each squad has both types of grenades and a flamer. I will also drop one Sqaud/Chimera to alleviate the problem of 4 Fast Attack Units
5) Three squads of them? Don't you think it would be a little better to split the Fast Attack between AF and Sentinels.
6) I will be dropping an AF squad like I said. I was thinking of picking up another. Russ with points. I was thinking of the Leman Russ Conqueror, but where do I get one of these?
So as a review:
-Maybe dropping a Basse and picking up bigger armaments and doctrines for the Russes
-Dropping a AF squad with its Chimera
-3 Sentinel Squads and no Armored Fists? I like the points I will get back, but does it make sense?
-With the points from AF squad and its Chimera I am going to grab a Leman Russ Conquerer, but I don't see the rules for it, and I don't see it on the GW site.
Last edited by rws591; September 8th, 2008 at 03:05.
Welcome to the Guard!
AC is my main army, and, unless your in a city (why take a AC in a city anyway? Though it can be fun) or a apocalypse battle, dont take basilisks, the minimum range is too large for small games
Defiantly get rid of a basilisk for another Leman Russ. Id even get rid of a Armored fist squad (including transport) and get a Demolisher (If you can)
Last edited by billybobithyjo; September 12th, 2008 at 07:00.
107th Regiment, 5th Armored Battle Group- 5500ptsFor someone to deal as much damage as you did, the Emperor must surely be at your side. - MaxDv