1500 points, calaxis campaign - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

1500 points, calaxis campaign

more or less, it's meant to be friendly and fluffy, but still put up a good fight.

the campaign is based off the Calaxis Sector map from fantasyflight.com's dark heresy rpg section. the organizers are still play-testing special rules and there's about 2 weeks before it kicks off. (the GW at the Springfield, VA; 1500pts open sign-up)

so my first go on a battle-hardened regiment raised from the war-torn sector (primarily the gelmiro system fighting off the xeno mobs)

Doctrines:
    restricted troops: rough riders
    skills and drills: iron discipline
    skills and drills: sharp shooters
    skills and drills: die-hards
    (open)

HQ platoon
    command squad w/ honorifica, iron discipline, standard, missile launcher
    fire support squad w/ 3 heavy bolters, sharpshooters
    fire support squad w/ 3 heavy bolters, sharpshooters

infantry platoon
    command squad w/ 2 grenade launchers
    infantry squad w/ vet, missile launcher, grenade launcher, die-hards

infantry platoon
    command squad w/ 2 grenade launchers

3 sentinels w/ autocannons, extra armor
    8 rough riders w/ hunting lances

leman russ w/ 3 heavy bolters
    leman russ w/ 3 heavy bolters

1500 exact (fairly sure unless someone wants to double-check that)

i thought about throwing in a freebie doctrine like drop troops or close order drill, but my guys fight with their feet on the ground and have more sense than to stand in ranks playing parade instead of being tactical.
    i opted for the missile/grenade combo since it seems more guard normal than lascannons and plasma guns,
    took rough riders, because my warhound riders look to cool not to include, plus they're always good bang for their buck.

i know the vehicles are a little barren, first draft i had them a little more kitted out with armor, smoke, rough terrain mods and searchlights, but i dropped all of that to fluff the infantry squads. depending on how playtesting it goes, i may toggle the vet/die-hards a little and get them back their gear. till then they make due with the scraps they got.

lastly, the main overall fault on the list i found was a lack of anti-heavy armor in favor of anti-horde, but i try pretend that it'll all work out in the end anyways, so hopefully it does. otherwise i can go back to my las/plas with missile support format, drop the sentinels and riders and fluff doctrines for a hellhound, basilisk, and vehicle gear for some wins in case i start hurting too much.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

drop the fire support squads, and the extra armor on the sentinels, to add 2 chimeras with stubbers, making your force much more mobile, while not sacrificing the firepower the heavybolters had.(in addition to that, it removes some anti tank fire from ur tanks, as they would be the only targets for your opponents ant tank weaponry.
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Certemplar View Post
    i thought about throwing in a freebie doctrine like drop troops or close order drill, but my guys fight with their feet on the ground and have more sense than to stand in ranks playing parade instead of being tactical.
    I like to think that the close order drill could be a squad stacking. It would make sense for a "battle-hardened" unit to fight in a stack when it is tactically to their advantage. Google it, there are plenty of examples out there. That doctrine might just do your already good looking fluff justice.

This "stack" drawn by Dick Kramer is a good depiction.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

went by the store today, asked the GW manager for just a quick rundown on the new rule changes with this edition (haven't played a game in a year or two) with some example scenarios and some Q&A. made a lot more sense than what i was getting out of reading through the rulebook.

pretty much dropped and had to redo the list. iron discipline and die-hards aren't used in 5th (well, there's just no situations where they apply anymore). the chimera idea is a little interesting especially to help mask my infantry from enemy LOS and would keep the LR alive a little longer.

stacking is a formation used for aggressive room-to-room assaulting, where lack of space and limited vision prevent dispersion while still being able to provide squad support. and close order drill in the doctrines section makes it sound more like British red coat formations in a 'gentleman's war'. either one don't really apply for what i'm looking to.

lost once more on rewriting my list, went with a very grenade/missile launcher-heavy all-infantry army. just using sharpshooters for the two missile support squads and camoleoline for everyone. figure i'll see some fun on scattering 38 small blast templates per turn.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

+ Reply to Thread