1500 point DA vs Orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

1500 point DA vs Orks

I am going to be playing a 1500 point game against orks, and have come up with this:
    (It's my first list since 5th was released, with about 35-40 games played, that isn't starting Belial and Deathwing squad with AC and apothecary.)

The absolute golden rule is charge, don't be charged, and don't do it piecemeal.

HQ
    Chaplain @ 120 points
    + Jump Pack

FA
    Assault Marines x10 @ 275 points
    + Power Fist
    + Plasma Pistol

TRP
    Tactical Squad x10 @ 200 points
    + Power Sword
    + Flamer
    + Plasma Cannon

Tactical Squad x10 @ 190 points
    + Chainsword
    + Flamer
    + Las Cannon

Tactical Squad x10 @ 190 points
    + Chainsword
    + Meltagun
    + Plasma Cannon

HS
    Devastators x10 @ 235 points
    + Boltgun
    + 2x Missile Launchers
    + 2x Heavy Bolters

EL
    Dreadnaught @ 145 points
    + Venerable
    + Multimelta

Dreadnaught @ 145 points
    + Venerable
    + Assault Cannon

The most important part of using this will be the assault squad + chaplain Ė I intend to skulk around if no target presents itself, and when the trucks / footsloggers are within 18Ē move up, using any of the HWís (2x ML, Las, 2x Plasma Cannons, 2x HBís if need be, Dread Multimelta, Dread AC, Tac Meltagun (bit close arenít they?) to pop said offending vehicle, allowing the squad to charge the boyz. I will not target a IC with a squad, unless thereís only 1-2 boyz left and I know Iíve won the combat. (only so I donít kill off all the boyz Ė I want the IC fleeing with the boyz, who canít rally)

In the event thereís a KFF mek Iíll sacrifice the squad to charge as many trucks as possible if I donít pop any with shooting. If the trukks are close together (KFF save means yes) Iíll charge the squad and get a couple on adjacent trucks to try to pop some.
    The plasma cannons are to be fired last by my HW's, at any orks exiting shot trucks in clumps, as opportunity permits.

The LasCannon, Meltagun and Dread Multimelta are for any kanís, being backed up by the MLís, or can just go truck hunting.
    If thereís Nobs and a painboy for feel no pain, it has no effect, (AP2 ignores feel no pain Ė recent revalation to me.) Shoot at ICís if given the chance. (If the T goes above 4 theyíre still a very good target, as standard marines struggle to wound.)

If thereís large mobs of 30 boyz sweeping across the board Ė thatís ideal. Mow down one mercilessly, and pile in on the survivors with whateverís at hand. Venerable Dreads can pin a mob on their own quite safely, which can then be charged by everyone else in the vicinity when convenient.

If KPís everyone stays together. (I am tempted to bend that golden rule for the devís, but it would depend on the opponentís army composition)

If objectives Iíd split the devís, and the las cannon and meltagun tac squads, but stick with the assault squad and Power fist tac. Experience has taught me that 5 men donít win melee with orks as the extra attacks are needed, and I often lose by 1-2 wounds even after bucket dice rolling.
    Even if the plasma cannon is only going to shoot once or twice (as compared to being split and used as a fire support squad.) It allows me to play a very ďcome hitherĒ approach to tactics. Ė Iím not saying I canít be outshot if he really tried, but I can come close, and thereís too many bodies for him to take off.
    The split tac assault halves move forwards towards middle table objectives at the last minute. (Of course, depending on play.)
    The dreads move forwards to contest if claiming is proving too hard (Theyíre going at the front Ė their weaponryís too short ranged and I really donít mind them being charged)

The mission I dread most is claiming his table ľ objective, and defending mine. Iíd have to try to move Ĺ the army up and stop him mid-way, relying on the dreads in melee and weight of HWís to slow / cut him down sufficiently. Iíd also consider deep striking the assault squad, to clear his troops off his objective, depending on his gunline and composition. If they all die thatís fine, as long as itís non-troops remaining. Iíd also consider leaving the chappy with the 10-man tac squad, to try and rush the middle ground / detatch and cause a nuisance somewhere. Itís not ideal, but if attached to deep strikers heís not going to charge, and can be better used to bolster elsewhere.
    My best chance of winning this is to clear scorers / contest his, whilst defending mine. Iíd like a rhino in the list, but my problem isnít scraping points Ė Iíd drop the Ass squadís plasma pistol in an instant, heck Iíd even drop the power sword, and downgrade a plasma cannon to ML, but todayís miniís available are limited. (Ahem, to half a company thatís requiring more painting)

I am tempted to drop a dread from venerable to +ML and swap the power sword for a Power Fist (I want to keep one as a 10 man in any mission.)
    But i'm in two minds about spending points on melee weapons, when 6+ saves are the most likely problem. On a IC with armour, a sword only wound's on 5's, but a fist is so expensive and is a problem if not used.

Comments and ideas? ML Dread and powerfist on tac? Better ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

One. Leave the devastators a t home couse you do not need them here. Take instead 2 speaders with heavy flamers and give heavy flameres to your dreads...and extra armour. Then for the leftover points buy some rhinos.
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    One. Leave the devastators at home couse you do not need them here. Take instead 2 speaders with heavy flamers and give heavy flameres to your dreads...and extra armour. Then for the leftover points buy some rhinos.
    Hmm. I considered that, however It was nice to put down exactly half a company. I only have one HF landspeeder at hand, (I could drop 5 men out the dev's i suppose.)
    My dreads however are finished and painted. They have storm bolters, as i used the HF parts on landspeeders, and built them before 5th (and flamer usefullness).
    The extra armour - it stops -1 attack in melee, but I don't know how to model it. I have a black reach M/M to play with and may tack on a rim to the leg greaves with bolt top detail, maybe suspended reinforced plate over the shoulder / torso bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Do you have any spare doors from rhino? I used that (leftover from predators). Cut them vertically in half, then some file'ing(sp?) and just glue them on the dread.
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

+ Reply to Thread