750pts Heavy Inf Starter list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750pts Heavy Inf Starter list.

Ok, so here's my first serious army list I've made so far, at 750 points for a starter list. I'm looking for, in this list, a fun and compeditive army. As a point of consideration my foes will be Nids, SM, Grey Knights and Eldar. But for the most part will be Nids and SM.

Any constructive critisism will be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Legend;
    Type & Total Pts
    Type Choice#: Total Choice Points
    Unit Type - Wargear
    Unite upgrades, weapons, etc.
    Doctrine(s)
    Points cost

Doctrines: Carapace Armour, Sharpshooters^, HWPlatoons^, Conscript Platoons(for 1200+ lists), & Veterans (for 1000+ lists)
    ^Subject to removal, due to current fluff redesigning. Possible replacements: Ratlings (proxied with models that actually look good, of course) and Iron Discipline to keep those pathetic conscripts at the front lines.

HQ 95pts
    HQ1: 95pts
    HSO - No Wargear
    Master Vox*
    95pts

Troops 535
    Troops1: 334pts
    JO - PW, Las Pistol
    Vox, 1x Plasma
    55pts
    Squad1, 2 & 3
    Sgt w/ Lasgun, GL and Vox
    Carapace Armour
    279pts

Troops2: 201pts
    Armoured Fist Squad
    Sgt w/ Las Pistol & CCW, Flamer and Vox
    Carapace Armour
    91pts
    Chimera Transport
    Hull HvyBolter, Turret HvyBolter OR Multilaser**, Track Guards, Pintle HvyStubber & Smoke
    110pts

Fast Attack 120pts
    Fast Attack1:
    Sentinel Squadron
    Autocannon, Extra Armour & Rough Terrain Mod
    60pts

Fast Attack2:
    Sentinel Squadron
    Autocannon, Extra Armour & Rough Terrain Mod
    60pts

Total Points: 750
    *For Ld9 across the board. I'm planning on using my PCS for anti-flanking duty, and the network allows for a more mobile, freeform force, instead of huddling around the PCS.
    **I'd like to know, does the standard Chimera kit come with a Turret Hvy Bolter?

There, done and done.

As a little side note I was just whacking together this list and was expecting to make a 1000pt list and then trim it to 750, but after I added it all up it landed smack bang on 750. Hows that for arse?

Anyways, thanks again for any comments.

EDIT: Tactics!

Well, starting with the HQ: they'll find a nice bit of cover and huddle up behind it use the MVox to give orders to far-flung squads, while the PCS will sit back and help defend the HSO. The line Inf will walk around the board claiming objectives, while the AF squad will scream up to the first objective it can find and claim it for the glory of the Imperium. The Sentinels will, depedning upon the situation act as fire support for the line squads or as and anti-flanker unit. The main thing I lack is reliable AT weaponry. This could be settled by removing the rough terrain mod from the Sentinels and adding Lascannons, or completely roming them from the list and adding hvy weapons to the line squads. I'm also considering whether it's be better if I remove the rough terrain mods on the Sentinels and add frags for my AF Squad.

Thanks.

Last edited by Simmo1991; September 23rd, 2008 at 12:33. Reason: Addition of Tactics
    It is easy to be brave behind a castle wall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Splata View Post
    Popping bubble wrap! Thats not in the Index Astrates! Heresy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

its pretty good, but get rid of the track guards on the chimera, they never do anything.

Carapace is fun, but if you got rid of it on your platoon you could add a Heavy weapon or 2 (up to you though)

you also have a serious (and possibly deadly) lack of AT. Try to get a couple plasma guns or Rocket Launchers in there.

The track guards and pintle heavy stubber can pay for some RLs or more plasma

Hope this helps
    For someone to deal as much damage as you did, the Emperor must surely be at your side. - MaxDv
    107th Regiment, 5th Armored Battle Group- 5500pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Its a pretty good list theres just a few things though.

1) I would rely on the HSO for your only means of leadership. The HSO is usually the first to be targeted and has a short life span. I would suggest Close Order Drill and Veteran Sergeants for a source of leadership.

2) The autocannon isnt really the best choice for a sentinel squadrons. Multi Laser is probably your best choice.

3) as BillyBobithyjo said you do lack AT. I would remove some of those anti-infantry weapons and get some missile launchers which is a well rounded weapon that has multiple uses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well man you got a good start but theres a few problems. First your list is a little illegal. When you take a Special Equipment doctrine like carapace armor you are required to give it to everyone who can take it. But unless its for fluff reasons I'd just not bother with it all together.

Iron Discipline is always a good choice and you may want to consider close order drill to keep the lads in line. Also i'm not a fan of Vox casters at all. Vet Sgts w/close order drill is cheaper more reliable and even can give you an initiative bonus! If you really want to keep the LD bubble strong take a veteran w/company standard in your HSO squad. That LD 9 w/re-roll is very nice.

Moving on... For anti-tank duties might I suggest a couple metlas in your command squads? Or if you dont mind heavy weapons in your line squads then maybe a missile lancher or auto-cannon or 2. But if you want the army to be always surging forward then put flamers or even a couple plasma guns.

Your sentinels are way to expensive. Drop the rough terrain mods (can they even take them?) I would keep the auto cannons tho or just assign them to las cannon toting ant-tank duty. I personaly would trade them both in for a squad of melta or plasma toting hardened vets. Those guys are golden. For around 124pts you can get 8 of them with 3 plasmas and a las cannon. But the heavy weapon is optional, they are just as nasty with 3 special weapons. Infiltraiting/outflanking will hell get them where you need them.

Also downgrade the chimera a little. track guards arnt that important and i'd definatly go with the m-laser/h-bolter combo tho.

Hope this helps you out!
    For the emperor! May he guide your flashlights into the eyes of your enemys!
    40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRollRebel View Post
    Iron Discipline is always a good choice and you may want to consider close order drill to keep the lads in line. Also i'm not a fan of Vox casters at all. Vet Sgts w/close order drill is cheaper more reliable and even can give you an initiative bonus! If you really want to keep the LD bubble strong take a veteran w/company standard in your HSO squad. That LD 9 w/re-roll is very nice.

Also downgrade the chimera a little. track guards arnt that important and i'd definatly go with the m-laser/h-bolter combo tho.
    I was told that the 5th ed. makes Iron Discipline useless.

And I agree with u on the downgrading of the chimera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marrius View Post
    I was told that the 5th ed. makes Iron Discipline useless.

And I agree with u on the downgrading of the chimera

you know I used to think that but being able to rally your squads below half is still a very nice thing. So I guess its not quite as much a no brainer these days.
    40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Righto, thanks for the advice, guys. Here comes a revised list:

Doctrines: Carapace Armour, Iron Dicipline, Ratlings, Conscript Platoons(for 1200+ lists), & Veterans (for 1000+ lists)

HQ 90pts
    HQ1: 90pts
    SO - PW, LasPistol
    1x Meltagun
    Carapace Armour, Close Order Drill
    100pts

Troops 560pts
    Troops1: 378pts
    JO - PW, LasPistol
    1x Plasma
    75pts
    Squad1 & 2
    VetSgt w/ Lasgun
    Plasma Gun
    192pts
    Squad3
    VetSgt w/ Lasgun
    Plasma Gun & Missle Launcher

Troops2: 182pts
    Armoured Fist Squad
    VetSgt w/Las Pistol & CCW, Metal Bombs
    Flamer
    Carapace Armour
    97pts
    Chimera Transport
    Hull HvyBolter, Turret Multilaser
    85pts

Fast Attack 100pts
    Fast Attack1: 50pts
    Sentinel Squadron
    Autocannon
    50pts

Fast Attack2: 50pts
    Sentinel Squadron
    Autocannon
    50pts

Total Points: 750

Righto theres the new overhauled list, once again landed smack on 750 . I'm gonna keep the Carapace Armour, because the thought of SM bolters penetrating my troopers armour is just annoying. Completely stripped the vehicles, as you can probably see, to make room for the Inf upgrades and VetSgts. After thinking about it, I decided to cut the vox network, since it isn't the cheapest way to go at the points level, and the entire army's Ld can be taken out in one Frag Missile (or any other template for that).

I must say it was tempted to drop the Sentinels for that Vet set up by RocketRollRebel. Nasty! But yeah, thanks for that insight! *rep*

And thanks again for the comments fellas.

Cherrio.
    Last edited by Simmo1991; September 24th, 2008 at 02:03. Reason: Spell checking
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

Good work on the corrected list. Although it does lack some long range anti- tank weapons you should be fine. Just hope you never go against the Tau cause that probably will be harder battle than it should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

If you're set on having troops with a 4+ armor save, I'd highly recommend you consider at least one squad of Grenadiers. Particularly I'd look to replace the Armored Fist Squad. A basic Guard Infantry Squad outfitted with Carapace Armor costs the same as an 8-man squad of Storm Troopers. And while you lose 2 men in the trade, you get the same 4+ armor save, hellguns that penetrate 5+ armor, BS 4, and the ability to take two special weapons in your squad instead of one. As your AF Squad doesn't have a heavy weapon, I'd say this is an ideal situation for you.

Dropping one of your Infantry Squads could be a good way to afford extra toys for the rest of your units. Get the Grenadier Squad up to ten men, add the second special weapon. Give your other two Infantry Squads a heavy weapon (missile launcher would be ideal). Could even have points left over for another Sentinel. Some extra anti-tank capability would not be remiss, I'd consider upgrading one or two of the sentinel autocannons to lascannons instead.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar View Post
    If you're set on having troops with a 4+ armor save, I'd highly recommend you consider at least one squad of Grenadiers. Particularly I'd look to replace the Armored Fist Squad. A basic Guard Infantry Squad outfitted with Carapace Armor costs the same as an 8-man squad of Storm Troopers. And while you lose 2 men in the trade, you get the same 4+ armor save, hellguns that penetrate 5+ armor, BS 4, and the ability to take two special weapons in your squad instead of one. As your AF Squad doesn't have a heavy weapon, I'd say this is an ideal situation for you.

Dropping one of your Infantry Squads could be a good way to afford extra toys for the rest of your units. Get the Grenadier Squad up to ten men, add the second special weapon. Give your other two Infantry Squads a heavy weapon (missile launcher would be ideal). Could even have points left over for another Sentinel. Some extra anti-tank capability would not be remiss, I'd consider upgrading one or two of the sentinel autocannons to lascannons instead.
    I agree with what you're saying. I only have one thing stopping me from doing that: Money. I've recieved most of the above list as birthday gifts from various people, so now I have to fill it out with SpecWeapons and Platoon Command Squads. And since a $60AUD 10 man squad has 2 different() SWeapons I would have to spend another $20AUD just to get the right composition for that squad, then spend another 150-or-so to get the rest of the list filled out. The lists presented above include the monetary factors aswell. That's not to say it's not a good Idea, I even considered it myself, but I figured I'd save them till I'm outta school and have my own steady income.

Cherrio.
    Last edited by Simmo1991; September 27th, 2008 at 14:47. Reason: Spell-checking and clarification
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast