New marines biker force [1000] - is it playable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New marines biker force [1000] - is it playable?

Hello.
    I am new to the forum.
    I am quite new to warhammer, too. So, I would be happy to know your opinion on the playability of the following all-biker list (I would like to totally avoid using non-biker troops):

HQ:

Space Marine Captain ( 160 )
    - Space Marine Bike
    - Power Fist

TROOPS:

Space Marine Bike Squad ( 280 )
    - 1 Biker Sergeant
    - 5 Space Marine Bikers
    - 1 Space Marine Biker with a flamer
    - 1 Space Marine Biker with a meltagun
    - 1 Attack Bike with a multi-melta

- 1 Biker Sergeant
    - 5 Space Marine Bikers

- 1 Biker Sergeant
    - 5 Space Marine Bikers

TOTAL: 1000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Well, it's a cool idea, but I think in practice there are just too few bodies on the field and, as such, you can neither kill enough people at once via shooting, nor do you hit hard enough in melee.

The White Scars Khan would help in making your force a skirmishing one, but even then, you'd want a couple of Drop Pods filled with Tac Squads to flesh out your numbers and a few Assault Squads to boost your in-melee hitting ability.

Having the bulk of your army be that mobile, though, will have a great effect at disrupting your opponent's formations.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Hello and welcome to LO and 40k!!

one thing, try to avoid mixing different weapons in squads.

for example, give one squad a multi-melt and two meltas (these are your tank hunters), and give the next squad a heavy bolter and two plasma guns (heavy infantry hunters) and lastly equip the other squad as anti-horde with 2x flamers and a heavy bolter.

otherwise, i agree with Quick, too few bodies. but, in a 1000pt battle, it might not matter too much.

and as for HQ, i'd tend to lean towards either the White Scars Special Character or a chaplain. because right now, i can't really see if your current captain is all that useful.

hope that helps

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Would require a lot of expertise - in the latest WD a guy used a biker Scars army with success, if you get shot to pieces you're screwed but if you can turn things your way, a fun army.

But very expensive!

lt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your opinions.
    And captain was taken only because of the rule, that captain on a bike allows to take bikers as troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Shurf View Post
    Hello.
    I am new to the forum.
    I am quite new to warhammer, too. So, I would be happy to know your opinion on the playability of the following all-biker list (I would like to totally avoid using non-biker troops):
    Welcome to LO and 40k. I've played White Scars mainly in third edition, not so much in 4th as they took a big rules hit, and now am getting back to them in 5th as they have gotten some nice options to fill out the army.

A few things before we look at the list. All bike armies or majority bike armies are hard to learn how to play. They have a steep learning curve, and mistakes will usually cost you quite harshly. You'll usually be outnumbered going into games, although not as badly as we used to be due to bikes getting cheaper in 5th.

HQ:

Space Marine Captain ( 160 )
    - Space Marine Bike
    - Power Fist
    Alright, a Power Fist on a Captain is a big no no. Captain's have the highest Initiative in your army outside of a Librarian buffed with Psychic powers. Don't waste it. There are 2 decent weapon choices for him in my opinion. A Power Weapon to compliment the Bolt Pistol he is sporting so you get the extra CC attack, or a Relic Blade if you want higher S than the regular Power Weapon. Personally, I'd probably opt for the Relic Blade.

Another option is running Kor'Sarro Khan, but you would have to adjust the rest of your list if you were going to do that.

TROOPS:

- 1 Biker Sergeant
    - 5 Space Marine Bikers

- 1 Biker Sergeant
    - 5 Space Marine Bikers

- 1 Biker Sergeant
    - 5 Space Marine Bikers

TOTAL: 1000
    Ok not bad. The mixed weapon rule is fine, due to the fact that SM Bikers now have access to combat squads. My suggestion would be to split the squads as so: SM SGT, SM w/ Flamer, and 3 regular bikers in one squad, and the SM w/ meltagun, 2 regular bikers, and the attack bike in the other squad. That was you have a combat squad for tank hunting, and a squad that can get in close if needed (flamer and SGT). Now if you do this, you're SGT would be better off if he had some close combat weapons to help them out in CC. I'd suggest a Power Fist as a first choice, with a Power Weapon if you can't afford the fist. Since he doesn't keep his Bolt Pistol if you buy him a Power Fist/Weapon, he has the same amount of attacks with either the Fist or the Weapon, so the Fist is better in this case.

I'd even think about dropping the third bike unit to get something else to benefit your army. Maybe a 6 man Scout bike squad and a Typhoon Land Speeder (Land Speeder with Typhoon Missle Launcher). That would give you some anti horde and anti MEQ (Marine Equivalent Armour Save) with the Scout's Grenade Launchers and the Missle Launcher on the Speeder is awesome.

A good thing to remember is this: SM Biker armies are NOT CC armies! If you are going to be wanting to get in close a good amount of the time, add assault marines to your army. Bikes are good enough to finish off depleted units in CC, but no where near strong enough to take most full strength units head on, we just don't have that many attacks. We work best as a fast shooting army that uses are superior speed to pick away at where our opponent is weakest.

+ Reply to Thread