1500pt Footsloggers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Footsloggers

So I read the Abusing Army Threat Management the other day, and I'm tired of my tanks getting blown up by ridiculous TMCs, so my response is to put together a footslogging Guard army that's hard as nails. Here's what I've got so far.

Doctrines - Close Order Drill, Iron Discipline, Grenadiers, Veterans, Light Infantry

HQ
    Junior Officer ( Iron Discipline, Power Weapon, Light Infantry )
    4 Guardsmen ( Standard Bearer,Light Infantry )

[/I]Anti-Tank Squad - 3 Missile Launchers, Light Infantry
    Anti-Tank Squad - 3 Lascannons, Light Infantry
    Fire Support Squad - 3 Autocannons, Light Infantry
    Fire Support Squad - 3 Autocannons, Light Infantry

Elites
    9 Hardened Veterans ( 2 Plasma, 1 Melta, 1 Lascannon )
    9 Hardened Veterans ( 2 Plasma, 1 Melta, 1 Lascannon )

Troops #1
    Junior Officer ( Iron Discipline, Power Weapon ), Light Infantry
    4 Guardsmen ( 2 Flamers ), Light Infantry
    Squad 1 - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher, Light Infantry
    Squad 2 - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher, Light Infantry

Troops #2
    Junior Officer ( Iron Discipline ), Light Infantry
    4 Guardsmen ( 2 Flamers ), Light Infantry
    Squad 1 - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher, Light Infantry
    Squad 2 - Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher, Light Infantry

Troops #3
    8 Grenadiers ( Veteran Sergeant with Power Weapon, 2 Plasma )

Troops #4
    8 Grenadiers ( Veteran Sergeant with Power Weapon, 2 Melta )

Edit: Updated list based on models I own and recommendations

Last edited by fattmeezy; October 18th, 2008 at 16:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I would suggest dropping Grenadiers for Light Infantry.

it lets you infiltrate, as well as outflank. it's hard for him to set up if he doesn't know where or when you're coming from. plus, it lets you position your Hweapons for maximum first turn bang for your buck.

or if he has first turn, lets you outflank and open up a second front.

I've been running a Light infantry force sort of like this one, with doctrines as follows:
    Light Infantry
    Veterans
    Special weapon squads (for demo charges)
    Iron Discipline
    Deep Strike

I set up my Vet squads with lascannon and 2 plasmaguns, then infiltrate them on flanks for side shots. If I can place them all together, even better. because it's a nasty nest of low AP2shots.
    I run 6 line squads with missile launcher / grenade launcher.
    I have one JO squad with 3melta for deepstriking

my HQ is a HSO with standard and ID
    the other platoon squad has an honorifica and ID to make him a second Ld anchor.

then I'll take 1 Lascannon anti-tank unit and 1mortar support unit, as well as mortars in the 2HSO squads

I've had very good success with it, but I haven't tried it against a fast army. Against Plague marines and Necron it's been devastating.
    I will infiltrate vets to a back corner, hopefully almost behind my opponent, then set up the hoard of guys on the oposite corner, and DS in the melta squad, and the Demo charge squads.

the only things that sort of gave me problems were the Necron Lord with a full immortal squad, and Typhus with chaos terminators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm.

Rep for you farmpunk.

I could drop the Deep Strike, run the Veterans with 2x Plasma and LC, and Infiltrate them instead; one in on each side of the board so that if they BOTH come in on the wrong side of the board, there's absolutely no difference. Only scenario that might suck is if they both came in on the same side of the board. That would also give me the Doctrine point for LI, since the Veterans were the only DS'ing units in the army.

Dropping both Chimeras would give me 160ish more points. I could put LI on all the squads in the Army, and deploy the Grenadiers in places in my deployment zone where I don't want them to set up infiltrators near. I just love my Grenadiers too much for my own good to dump them =\

Now we're just opening up all KINDS of scenarios:
    1) Infiltrate the ENTIRE Army on the board? ( Switch the Grenadiers for Storm Troopers will still give me six scoring units, and the entire force can flank march. Probably don't want to do that, the whole piecemeal arrival thing is probably fatal to Guard sans Drop Troops/Plasma Spam.

Or, I could put half my force in front of the enemy, and half behind?

2) Deploy the entire army as infiltrators, as in, after all regular units have deployed. If "going second is the new going first in 5th ed." then deploying second AND going first has to be the best-case scenario for the Guard, methinks.

The only problem with that is LI isn't making me any more killy; it's paying 110pts for freedom of maneuver. I always figured that those 110pts to have more guns to kill things with were better, but maybe not? Also, unless I drop the Grenadiers or COD, I STILL can't get in Drop Troops, and it's hard to justify the doctrine point for ONE suicide melta command squad.

I've revised the list with the above changes. Thoughts?
    Last edited by fattmeezy; October 18th, 2008 at 16:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

That is a lot of points spent on light infantry. I haven't tried this yet, but I had an idea that involved 3 platoons with one "flanking" light infantry platoon. That way I could drop points on "killy" things like lots of grunts and lemans, take up every firing lane on the table, and still try to move on my opponents flanks. The new list would be very mobile but I think your cause for concern is justified.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Right lets start at the top....

Doctrines seem ok and fit the bill.

HQ:
    The officer needs an HI, if you dotn get this then there is no point in him having a leadership setup as all units will have a boost from close order anyway.

There is a good mix of support squads in there which should really cover most of your heavy weapon needs. Im not to convinced that they all need light infantry though, the cost makes it prohibitive for a start, the missile launcher squad (come to think of it ) isnt that necessary in the list over all, a squad of heavy bolters woudl be far more effective and the anti transport and tank is taken care of so I recommend dropping the missile launcher squad and the light infantry on all but one of the autocannon squads.

Elites:
    Gah bad setup here. Think before you put weapons in, the melta is short range run and hit anti tank, the lascannon is long range heavy anti tank and the plasma is medium anti tank heavy anti infantry. So drop the lascannons for definate, teh other wepaons will get more use and the infiltrate will help get them forward and mobile. also drop their squad size a little simply remove the two guys witht hte lascannon in each squad.

Troops:
    The platoons seem ok but the main squads dont really need light infantry, perhaps limit it to one platoon.
    The commands could do with another flamer each as well.

The grenadiers are interesting, how exactly are they going to get to the enemy? drop them and stick the melta squad in elites with 5 men and drop or infiltrate them in. (this does require changing the grenadiers doctrine to stormies)

The thing you need to remember with a whole infiltrating army is that you wont be able to infiltrate about half of it and will end up setting it up in the same place anyway, it is better to have a dedicated light infantry element.

If you cut everything I suggested then you get 368 points to play with, after the HI and infiltrate for the stormies thatd be 30 points i think so that leaves 338 points. Now for that you could get an extra squad for each platoon with the same setup or possibly missile launchers lets say missile launchers thats 166 points then a remnants squad for each platoon with say a flamer or maybe a melta or plasma and plasma sarge? give them infiltrate perhaps say a 5 man squad with LI and a flamer and vet sarge with stormbolter thatd be 114 points for two units like that.

It gives you a lot more mobility that way, you can get the specail wepaons working for you and your force will be more rounded.

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, so I playtested that list there against footslogging Eldar, C&C/DoW. Infiltrated a whole platoon to within 20", one of the CMD squads 12" from his Dire Avengers. They actually did pretty well; flamed 3 DAs and forced them to waste a full turn of shooting at the 62pt unit that could have flamed them and charged with a I4 PW. Frightening. Ha.

The Vets...yeah, you were exactly right Commisarlestat. The ensemblage of weapons was pretty expensive and not very effective. The lascannon didn't even get to fire before the squad was wiped out. I'll definitely min/max them in the future. The Grenadiers did what I needed them to do though, which was defend my own objective from flanking warwalkers and divert fire from my autocannon squads. Meltabombs on the Vet Sarge seems like a really good idea for what it's worth.

In summary, I would have done just as well infiltrating only one platoon as opposed to both platoons and the HQ. It was kinda fun getting the first turn and deploying second, but it's not really worth the points. It'll need more refinement, but I really appreciate the input and I'll try to have revisions up by tomorrow night.

+ Reply to Thread