1850 All Comers IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

1850 All Comers IG

Ratlings
    Iron discipline
    Close order drill
    ?drop troops?
    ?veterans?

HQ
    SOfficer 88
    power weapon
    Iron discipline
    Flamer
    Flamer
    Vet
    Standard bearer

Mortar 80

Mortar 80

Troops
    JOfficer 57
    Iron discipline
    Flamer
    Flamer

4 Squads with plasma and missile launcher 340

JOfficer 57
    Iron discipline
    Flamer
    Flamer

4 Squads with plasma and missile launcher 340

Heavy
    3 Lemans with hull mounted heavy bolter 435

Fast
    2 Sentinels with Autocannons 100

2 Sentinels with Autocannons 100

Elites
    Ratlings x 9 99

Vets x 5 74
    Stormbolter
    3 Grenade launchers

Ok, what do you guys think? Quick run down.

My HQ, I'm only bring a senior officer instead of a junior one for fluff reasons. I would just as soon bring a junior officer with no wargear and spend the points on things that kill the enemy. Should I downgrade him? This isn't the fluff forum so feel free to criticize. I want to bring the mortars so I have some indirect fire. I have a pretty big gun line, courtesy of the troops and heavy section so I think the mortars, which don't compete for line of site, will help support it nicely.

Two infantry platoons. The exact number of troop choices I get to place on the table during dawn of war missions. I should own the table at the start of those missions while my opponent is waiting for most of his army to arrive. I also like dedicating at least 33% or so of my points to troops for fluff reasons. I know it's plasma spam. There are 8 plasma guns. They are the only AP 2 weapons I have in this list. I've also thought of some pretty mean fluff to go with them. I also like the idea of my infantry being a threat to the enemy and not just a crunchy distraction. With those two things in mind (amazing fluff and a complete lack of demolishers, lascannons, and demo packs) would you cry cheese or is this an acceptable list. I want to win but nobody wants to field a list where everyone thinks they are a git. Criticize please. Don't let me build a list the no one wants to play. Thank you. (I am going to build a "plasma burn victim collection point" objective." )

Three bare bones lemans make up the heavy section. Primarily anti-heavy infantry. I fight a lot of space marines and the battlecannon is the perfect poison for them.

The sentinels are for anti-tank flanking. The models are almost too cool not to field in my opinion.

Ratlings are regarded as the best snipers in the game and the small squad of vets I want to infiltrate or flank to exploit weak points in the enemy.

Am I at a loss tactically anywhere? This is a list that I want to win with. I have some great fluff worked out but this isn't the fluff forum and fluff is easy to change so let me know what weakness you see. Constructive criticism in any form is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by YounGunner; October 25th, 2008 at 19:07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Hmm, you like your flamers don't you? That's fine, but maybe considering dropping a couple to upgrade your Officer to Heroic Senior for that extra point of leadership.

The plasma. Well, I am personally not a fan, but I think we can all admit that they are an immense help given the preponderance of heavy infantry that are often ranged against us. The reason I am not a fan is for fluff reasons, and if you can justify it fluff-wise (a not unreasonable assumption given that you say you already have) then go for it. I think the amount of plasma is compensated for by the lack of heavy AT (lascannon).

What are the Veterans for? They look like mobile fire support (4 assault weapons) but I reckon that you may want to bulk them out to ten strong - make them a bit harder to casually remove from the board with some spare firepower. You also dont need the Veterans doctrine unless you are taking more than one unit of Hardened Veterans.

Sentinels? Oh my yes, especially with a trio of Russes to distract anti tank attention away from them, a nice bit of outflank and hey presto! some devastated side armour. Which goes some way towards helping your AT game, although 8 Missile launchers isnt shabby if you are facing 14 AV coming towards you, some autocannon rounds through the lighter sides of the enemy cant do any harm. Well, not to you anyway.

Heavy Support? Oh MY yes. 3 barebones Russes are very nice for smearing Marines across the landscape. Watch out for "weapon destroyed" results too, your call if you want sponsons for post Battlecannon destroyed fighting.

All in all, it looks a nice list (although I am still not fully into the 5th edition mindset yet, so there may be a few things that I've missed) and I certainly would not be calling cheese on it.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Hey YounGunner.

As you will probably know, I'm not a massive fan of plasma spam IG forces. I feel that they detract form the game and from the fluff and make the overall experience less enjoyable for everyone.

Of course, when I say plasma spam, I mean a chap who plays at my local store who manages 21 plasma guns in a 1500pt list, or anything similar!

Your list does not look cheesy in the extreme, particularly unbalanced or anti-fluff. Further more, it looks extremely workable and it would seem, on paper at least, that you would have a very good chance of success against MEQ armies with it.

I particularly like your use of doctrines combined with your army list - they look suitably elite, though not ridiculously so for the Imperial Guard. In particular, it's cool that you use at least a Senior Officer - can you imagine a newly graduated Lieutenant leading a force of battle-hardened veterans?? He'd last about ten seconds!

So overall - I don't really have any problem with this list at all - I wouldn't use it myself, but that's because I have my own regiment and fluff. Speaking of which - would you happen to have any of your fluff handy? I'd very much like to get a better feel for your force.

Nice list and rather well balanced between fluff and effectiveness - well done you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Personally I am not a fan of plasma in extremes, however you seem to have done quite a good job at balancing it out. As beardy said you have balanced it out quite well.
    Overall as a list I think it looks pretty solid. The veterans seem a little out of place, but I can't put my finger on why..
    As for effectiveness, I think this will work quite well. You have a good mix of static firebases and mobile elements, although I would be tempted to split the sentinel squads up into individuals (put one with the command platoon and the other 3 as fast attack) to give a bit more survivability and flexibility.
    Overall though, well done. I think that is quite a nice list.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Beardy_Wierdy View Post
    Hmm, you like your flamers don't you? That's fine, but maybe considering dropping a couple to upgrade your Officer to Heroic Senior for that extra point of leadership.
    I want to use the officers primarily for leadership and also for special weapon support. The two options in my mind were the flamer and the melta. The grenade launcher would have its merits. They could help farther out, could run away and still shoot, but I thought the list look like it needed some anti-horde so I went with the flamers. The squads will stay close, provide leadership, and throw themselves at the enemy if they have to. The heroic senior officer is expensive. I don't even want to spend the points on the senior one but I am. All of the officers are pretty weak and I think a flamer template will make more casualties than he ever will. I think the standard and iron discipline (and the extra guns I bought with the points saved) will compensate for the mediocre leadership but if I have leadership problems I'll say you told me so.

What are the Veterans for? They look like mobile fire support (4 assault weapons) but I reckon that you may want to bulk them out to ten strong - make them a bit harder to casually remove from the board with some spare firepower. You also dont need the Veterans doctrine unless you are taking more than one unit of Hardened Veterans.
    I really do want to strengthen them a little but couldn't find the points. Maybe if I drop a sniper or two. I was thinking that with their small numbers and what most non IG players consider "dinky" weapons they would be ignored and I could use them to really reek havoc on soft spots in the enemy. I will try to flank them in conjunction with sentinels or infiltrate them into no mans land against smaller armies. I was thinking in a 2000 point battle I would simple add 3 more sentinels but maybe I'll include more vets.

Sentinels? Oh my yes, especially with a trio of Russes to distract anti tank attention away from them, a nice bit of outflank and hey presto! some devastated side armour. Which goes some way towards helping your AT game, although 8 Missile launchers isnt shabby if you are facing 14 AV coming towards you, some autocannon rounds through the lighter sides of the enemy cant do any harm. Well, not to you anyway.
    Right on. I don't like deep striking, suicide, anti tank squads. Personally, I think it's more of a masochist move than the worst plasma gun but hey somebody has to kill the tank so it's not all bad. Sort of like rangers assaulting the beach before D-day to take out howitzers. Sort of a space age sticky bomb. I don't want to bring basilisks. The leman is to perfect for popping smurfs. The lascannon looks to expense, not effective enough, and to easy to destroy. With that said, I think my game plan for the monoliths and landraiders I encounter will be to ignore them. I've seen a few posts on the topic and it seems like a great way to make a bullet sponge not worth it's points cost. Of course when there is nothing else for a unit to shoot at after a few turns I'll start throwing everything at mobile bunkers but not until then.

Heavy Support? Oh MY yes. 3 barebones Russes are very nice for smearing Marines across the landscape. Watch out for "weapon destroyed" results too, your call if you want sponsons for post Battlecannon destroyed fighting.
    I am a little worried about those weapon destroyed rolls. Hopefully it works out. If not I'll have to install some.

Thanks for the comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by thechaplain View Post
    Of course, when I say plasma spam, I mean a chap who plays at my local store who manages 21 plasma guns in a 1500pt list, or anything similar!

can you imagine a newly graduated Lieutenant leading a force of battle-hardened veterans?? He'd last about ten seconds!

would you happen to have any of your fluff handy? I'd very much like to get a better feel for your force.
    Yeah I would give that guy a hard time too. 21 plasma guns is ridiculous.

I can actually think of several situations in real life and in fiction where a non commissioned officer serves in an officer role or is awarded a battlefield commission. There are plenty of examples of officers filling the role of higher ranking officers is real life and fiction as well. The book, 15 hours, and the tv series Band of Brothers are both good fiction examples. It would also be fitting for a JOfficer HQ in a mech list in my opinion because the list would be small enough, man power wise, that it would like more like a platoon than a company anyway. I agree with you though that it is cool to bring the SOfficer with this list considering that I already overdose on plasma a little. I didn't want to push the envelope on my fluff points by saying, "and oh by the way..." with my commander.

All of my fluff is in my mind right now and not on paper but I will put some of it down and post it in the fluff forum. I would love to get you opinion on that as well.

Thanks for the commentary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    The veterans seem a little out of place, but I can't put my finger on why..
    Overall though, well done. I think that is quite a nice list.
    Glad you like it. I want to model my snipers and vets in ghillie suits like the ones on the link bellow. The mesh is in the mail. I want them all to look kind of like a big recon team that supports the heavier company. I want to give the vets grenade launchers for their effectiveness and because in my mind, ghillie + melta, plasma, or flamer = fatal ghillie suit fire accident.

Thanks for the comment.

Warhammer 40,000 - Catachan Jungle Fighters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1282936 (Impierl Gaurd Fluff)

Alright! This is my first fluff post so I hope it isn't too ragged. Do you guys think it's a good start?

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. October 26th, 2008, 06:27