1750 Tournament List--1st time in tourney w/5th edition - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Tournament List--1st time in tourney w/5th edition

Thanks for taking a look at this army list that I have put together. This will my first tournament under 5th edition. I haven't seen what most people are running in tournments these days so I tried to stick to an all comers style list. Also, I have heard that tournaments are less focused on fluff and balanced lists and more focused on list maxing, is this true or should I spend time writing some fluff and squad names? Any ideas or criticisms are very much appreciated.

Doctrines:: Iron Discipline, Drop Troops, Close Order Drill, Light Infantry, Ratlings
    HQ---448pts
    Command Squad 98pts
    -Junior Officer
    -Honorifica Imperialis
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Iron Discipline
    -x3 Flamers
    Fire Support Squad 80pts
    -x3 Heavy Bolters
    Anti-Tank Squad 110pts
    -x3 Lascannons
    Anti-Tank Squad 110pts
    -x3 Lascannons
    Sentinel 50pts
    -x1 Cadian Pattern
    Elites---55pts
    Ratling Squad 55pts
    -x5
    Troops---572pts
    Infantry Platoon
    -Command Squad 95pts
    -Light Infantry
    -Junior Officer
    -Iron Discipline
    -x2 Plasma gun
    -x2Meltagun
    Infantry Squad 93pts
    -Light Infantry
    -Missile Launcher
    -Grenade launcher
    Infantry Squad 93pts
    -Light Infantry
    -Missile Launcher
    -Grenade launcher
    Infantry Squad 93pts
    -Light Infantry
    -Missile Launcher
    -Grenade launcher
    Remnant Squad 38pts
    -x5
    -Grenade Launcher
    Armored Fist Squad 160pts
    -Plasma gun
    -Chimera
    -Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter
    -Extra Armor
    Fast Attack---170pts
    Hellhound 120pts
    -Heavy Armor
    Sentinal 50pts
    -x1 Cadian Pattern
    Heavy Support---505pts
    Basilisk 145pts
    -Improved Comms
    -Indirect Fire
    Leman Russ Battle Tank 170pts
    -Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
    -Extra Armor
    Leman Russ Demolisher 190pts
    -Lascannon, Plasma Cannons
    -Extra Armor

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by nagash4life View Post
    Command Squad 98pts
    -Junior Officer
    -Honorifica Imperialis
    -Plasma Pistol
    -Iron Discipline
    -x3 Flamers

Infantry Platoon
    -Command Squad 95pts
    -Light Infantry
    -Junior Officer
    -Iron Discipline
    -x2 Plasma gun
    -x2Meltagun
    Right off the bat, I might switch the jobs for these two. I'm a big fan of the standard, I think its a huge leadership bonus for the points cost. You could have a command squad with [2 plasma, 1 standard and 1 medic] or [3 plasma and 1 standard or medic] and that way it's paired with the plasma pistol.

I wouldn't pair melta and plasma. I might pair melta amd flamer because of their similarities in mobility and range but that's me really. A lot of people wouldn't do that either. The infantry platoon leader squad might do better as the counter charge unit seeing as how there is no plasma pistol and you couldn't give them a standard if you wanted to.

Just what I see right away. Other than that it looks pretty good. Good hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. I see exactly what you mean. This tournament is tomorrow so I'll post how I do tomorrow night. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up winning the tournament this weekend, 2 massacres and 1 minor victory. Thanks again for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did the single Sentinel fair through out the tournament? Did you use it to outflank at all or did any opponet even care to attempt to shoot it instead of your more heavy armor choices since it only had a multi-laser?

Grats on the win, however since I had no time beforehand to give any timely input I'll attempt to do so now.

I'd drop the remnant squad for additional ratlings...I just don't see 5 guardsmen being worth the time to be fielded as an individual unit, unless of course they are deep striking, melta packing vetrans that have a deathwish for an opportunity to take out some tanks on the second turn.

As for the fast attack choices, I'd go either 2x hellhound, if you know that theres going to be a lot of cover on the field, and a lot of AP5-6 troops about that will use cover to get that improved save, typically this will be swarmy armies such as Orcs and Nids.

Or I'd go 3x Sentinel and outflank them to give my opponent a nasty suprise in the form of 3x lascannons, or 3x multi-lasers starting (hopefully) on turn 2.

After playing an Orc player numerous times with 9 outflanking deffkoptas you can get a good idea of how effective outflanking fast moving masses are even if they don't particularly kill anything they will draw fire off of the main advancing line...also a small army of Sentinels dropping SM tanks with multiple penetrating is fascinating to witness, especially whren the SMurf player goes into a typical nerd rage because he simply belives that the Land Raider is the greatest tank ever, and it just got slagged by a trio of Sentinel pilots from his own backfield.

As for tournaments, my experience has inclucded two tournament types, the one where the only thing that matters is win/loss ratio and the GW-ish tournamnets that have three equally important factors, 33% skill, 33% sportsmanship and 33% errata (paint scheme and army fluff).

That being said I find the latter style 33/33/33 the most enjoyable since you will encounter a wide array of armies with either distinctly specific or jack-of-all-trades multi-role armarments, tactics and equipment, also it attracts a more aggreeable sort of croud of warhamer hobbyists from more varied backgrounds.

In fact I've seen powergamers go from 1st position to out of the top 3 in tournaments because they get a massive case of nerd-rage when their maxed Space Marine Black Templar list gets massacared by a novice player with lucky dice thus causing their sportsman ship score to become completly abyssmal.
    Last edited by Tronics; November 3rd, 2008 at 15:54. Reason: forgot additional info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

I think his sentinels carry autocannons. The mars pattern has a multilaser.

I probable won't purposefully bring remnants in most of my games due to the new kill point rules, not that it matters much. I'll still get nerfed for kill points. I have had great luck with them in some games. Most opponents won't bother 5 guardsmen moving up the table and you can cause a nice little crossfire with them if your opponent lets you. If you give them a special weapon they become twice as dangerous but not much more of a target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tronics View Post
    How did the single Sentinel fair through out the tournament? Did you use it to outflank at all or did any opponet even care to attempt to shoot it instead of your more heavy armor choices since it only had a multi-laser?

Grats on the win, however since I had no time beforehand to give any timely input I'll attempt to do so now.

I'd drop the remnant squad for additional ratlings...I just don't see 5 guardsmen being worth the time to be fielded as an individual unit, unless of course they are deep striking, melta packing vetrans that have a deathwish for an opportunity to take out some tanks on the second turn.

As for the fast attack choices, I'd go either 2x hellhound, if you know that theres going to be a lot of cover on the field, and a lot of AP5-6 troops about that will use cover to get that improved save, typically this will be swarmy armies such as Orcs and Nids.

Or I'd go 3x Sentinel and outflank them to give my opponent a nasty suprise in the form of 3x lascannons, or 3x multi-lasers starting (hopefully) on turn 2.

After playing an Orc player numerous times with 9 outflanking deffkoptas you can get a good idea of how effective outflanking fast moving masses are even if they don't particularly kill anything they will draw fire off of the main advancing line...also a small army of Sentinels dropping SM tanks with multiple penetrating is fascinating to witness, especially whren the SMurf player goes into a typical nerd rage because he simply belives that the Land Raider is the greatest tank ever, and it just got slagged by a trio of Sentinel pilots from his own backfield.

As for tournaments, my experience has inclucded two tournament types, the one where the only thing that matters is win/loss ratio and the GW-ish tournamnets that have three equally important factors, 33% skill, 33% sportsmanship and 33% errata (paint scheme and army fluff).

That being said I find the latter style 33/33/33 the most enjoyable since you will encounter a wide array of armies with either distinctly specific or jack-of-all-trades multi-role armarments, tactics and equipment, also it attracts a more aggreeable sort of croud of warhamer hobbyists from more varied backgrounds.

In fact I've seen powergamers go from 1st position to out of the top 3 in tournaments because they get a massive case of nerd-rage when their maxed Space Marine Black Templar list gets massacared by a novice player with lucky dice thus causing their sportsman ship score to become completly abyssmal.

I ended up using the sentinals as deep strikers and they were extremelly effective even as single choices. In one game all they did was keep a chaos vindicator from moving/shooting during a dawn of war mission.

The most effective outflanking I did was with the regular squads. In 1 game all 3 came in at the same time and I rolled 5/6s and simply brought them in by my opponents objective. He was holding it with I think 15 berserkers, and needless to say that he laughed at how they wouldn't do anything to power armor. The double tap lasguns plus grenade launchers even on frag were so effective that not a single marine was left.

I also noticed the obscene effectiveness of the hellhound. I will be investing in a second one for sure if its rules remain the same in the new codex.

Lastly to address the remnant squad. I used it to simply hold any objective that was in my deployment zone and I used them to screen my heavy weapon teams as well in 1 mission. That opponent considered them so insignifagant that he never shot at them, but rather the heavy teams behind them and I chuckled to myself as marine squads dumped into them over and over again. I kept that team going to ground so had a 3+ cover save and he focused on them for 2 full turns of shooting until he realised what I was doing.

Thanks again for the replies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

I'm more interested to know in the effectiveness of the basilisk. Did it die/get supressed right away or did the opponents ignore it in favor of the other tanks?
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The basilisk was completely ignored in both games that it was involved in. In the Dawn of war mission it never made it onto the table before the game was over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nagash4life View Post
    The basilisk was completely ignored in both games that it was involved in. In the Dawn of war mission it never made it onto the table before the game was over.

Why did you place the basi in reserves?

in DoW you don't have to place anything in reserves unless you want too.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

+ Reply to Thread