2000 points Iron Swords, all comers :3 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 points Iron Swords, all comers :3

Your friendly neighbourhood Suicidemaniac here ( -_-)7 finally decided to expand my army to 2,000 points. Hope I didn't make any mistakes with numbers. ._.

Captain 195
    Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Digital Weapons

Sternguard Veterans 6 230
    3 Combi-plasmas, heavy flamer.
    Sarge with bolter and lightning claw.
    Mounted in generic Razorback.

Tactical Squad 10 225
    Meltagun, Plasma Cannon.
    Sarge with Combi-melta.
    Comes with Drop Pod.

Tactical Squad 10 225
    Meltagun, Plasma Cannon.
    Sarge with Combi-melta.
    Comes with Drop Pod.

Tactical Squad 10 215
    Flamer, Lascannon.
    Sarge with Powerfist.

Scout Squad 5 100
    Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks, Heavy Bolter

Assault Marine Squad 10 240
    Flamer, Plasma Pistol.
    Sarge with Powerfist.

Devastator Squad 10 230
    4 Missile Launchers

Bike Squadron (4) with attached Attack Bike 190
    2 Flamers, Multimelta.
    Sarge with Power Weapon.

Dreadnought 150
    Multimelta, Heavy Flamer.
    Comes with Drop Pod.

Ooookay..

With 3 Pods, I can drop 2 units down on the first turn, usually a dread and a tact squad. Dread drops behind the most threatening vehicle/enemy unit and melts/toasts them good (hopefully) while the tact squad/s will again perform surgical anti-tank with their 2 meltas while HOPEFULLY dropping near cover or at least use the Pod for protection until they can bring the heavy weapons to bear.

Main firebase will have the dev squad and the lascannon tact squad deployed deep in cover (most likely on one flank) with the powerfist/flamer combat squad running forward or providing some combat punch in case anything nasty gets close and to deal with infiltrators with their flamer.

Bikes will accompany the Sternguard razorback as they advance down one flank hopefully dodging enemy fire. I may/may not throw the assault marines in with them as well. Main job of the sternguard is to deal with heavier infantry or vital squads in MEQ armies with their plasma/kickass ammo spam >.>; while the bikes will provide some all rounder support and taking care of those pesky entrenches units with flamers. Again, both the bikes and Sternguard have power weapon sargeants to give them a slight edge in combat.

I might detach the attack bike from the main squad, as it does have an anti-tank rule, but I thought it might have a higher chance of survival if I put them with the bike squad.

Overall, I'm trying to go for a surgical strike, marking out priority targets and taking them out first with the podding units, while I run my fast units down one flank in an effort to roll up the enemy battle line.

All looks decent on paper. The scouts seem a little random in there, but I want to see how they perform, and it's a cheap scoring unit that the enemy may overlook due to its small size. I mainly play against other marines (chaos/loyalist) and other MEQ armies, the only variation being 2 ork (hordetastic, so I might go the static firebase and shoot them before they reach me), 1 guard (need to get those flamers in STAT), 1 nid (genestealer-tastic, can foresee some problems with this one) and 1 tau armies (again, stay in cover, get close, and beat them with the butt of a bolter).

Holy crap long post, tell me what you guys think, I look forward to your feedback.

Iron Swords 3rd Company - We are the swords which reap the bodies of our foes.

Train of thought will be terminating at.. edible murder weapons!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Very pricy but rather effective. Appart from the jumppack he looks like Vulkan but doesn't get master crafted or the flamer. I could suggest shrike instead but if you want to keep combat tactics then I might suggest a cheap (ish) librarian.

Elites: Sternguard would be better with combimeltas I think as the AP3 bolters sort of cover the plasmagun role to some extent and it gives them a vehicle hunting ability too. Dread is fine.

Troops: Drop pod squads may never fire their heavy weapons so MM or MLs may be better. The PF combat squad won't reach the enemy lines on foot so move the PF to one of the drop pod squads to stop them being overwhelmed in a combat while they are unsupported. Scouts look good.

Fast: Go for 2 flamers. I'm not keen on the bikes. I like assault bikes (see below) but not the single seaters. Landspeeders with heavy flamers could work.

Heavy: I have never liked devastators as they are too static for me. Considder that for 20 points more you could get 5 assault bikes with multimeltas. They would have the same wounds, better toughness, more firepower (especially within 12") and the ability to move 12" and fire or even turbo boost.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. Played a game tonight with this list (ork bikes posing as my bikes.. steel legion as scouts.. etc. >.>;; and taking the advice into consideration..

HQ: I think I'll take out at least the Digital Weapons. The points for it I could spend elsewhere, and I don't plan to run a special character type until at least 2,500 purely for fluff reasons (else I'd have taken either Pedro or Vulkan in this list and maybe pumped on sternguard). I love this setup though, my opponent always throws a ridiculous amount of firepower at my captain, so I stopped taking Vanguard and threw him with a cheaper assault squad instead.

Elites: I've taken the plasmas purely for terminator hunting, as most of the marine armies I face run at least 6-10 terminators, and seeing the performance of the PCs and the Lascannon they're pretty useful. -_-The plasmas are there as extra insurance against 2+ save models really though I'm definitely considering podding these guys and padding the squad to full 10. Deadly bolter rounds are sexily deadly.

Troops: Lascannon are the bane of my existence, the single worst weapon in my entire army. Same with the plasmas. However, on the other hand I can always go for the empty-pod ploy, and deploy all my heavy weapons in one big solid firebase.. which in turn makes my meltas a little pointless. Back to the drawing board with these -___- Proxy scouts (lol steel legion >.> performed wonderfully though, distracting enemy fire (<3333 3+ cover saves) until a mob of chaos space marines charged them and made them available in kit form.

Fast Attack: Big squads of bikes attract attention to themselves, especially when they're screaming 24"across the board hahaha... More attack bikes with multimeltas are definitely on the list of things to get. I'll probably detach the one from the bike squad, and give him a buddy. The bike squad seems fun though, only because I really like the whole jetbike conversion idea, and it's a shame to waste them. xD

Heavy Support: I'm a stable firebase person, and these guys usually perform well. People underestimate them because they're not toting around lascannons or plasma cannons, and the missile launchers quietly take out their transports and thin the herds a little. I'll probably switch these out for a tank or two but for now these guys are a firm favourite.
    Iron Swords 3rd Company - We are the swords which reap the bodies of our foes.

Train of thought will be terminating at.. edible murder weapons!

+ Reply to Thread