2k & 2.5k Battle Company - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

2k & 2.5k Battle Company

Once again I'm bored at work and realized I can get a full battle company into a 2k list, just barely, and it could be led by a captain with a power sword, or chaplain with a jump pack

Would this be effective a 2k list? It isn't too mobile and is more shooty than assaulty but when I'm comparing this to other 2k enemy lists I think it can take them on. With 13 missile launchers, 6 flamers and lots of bolters it can take a 200 ork boyz list, a 3 AV14 list (land raider or leman russ) with accompanying infantry, I think it stands a reasonable chance against a mech eldar list and other fast armies.

For 2.5k I would upgrade all the tac's missile launchers to lascannons plus give 4 tac sgt's power weapons and 2 power fists and give all squads besides the assault marines a rhino and that leaves 50 pts for more wargear for the captain.

2,000 pts Battle Company

Chaplain w/jump pack 115
    (Or Captain w/power weapon)

HQ Total:

Line 1: 10 Tactical Marines 170 pts
    missile launcher, flamer

Line 2:10 Tactical Marines 170 pts
    missile launcher, flamer

Line 3: 10 Tactical Marines 170 pts
    missile launcher, flamer

Line 4: 10 Tactical Marines 170 pts
    missile launcher, flamer

Line 5: 10 Tactical Marines 170 pts
    missile launcher, flamer

Line 6: 10 Tactical Marines 170 pts
    missile launcher, flamer

Troops Total: 1020

Line 7: 10 Assault Marines 205 pts
    Sgt. w/power weapon

Line 8: 10 Assault Marines 215 pts
    Sgt. w/power fist

Fast Attack Total:

Line 9: 10 Devastator Marines 230 pts
    4 missile launchers
    Sgt. w/signum

Line 10: 10 Devastator Marines 215 pts
    3 missile launchers
    Sgt. w/signum

Heavy Support Total: 445

Last edited by MadLarkin; November 13th, 2008 at 18:02.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Interesting. The 2K point version definitely isn't sexy, but its hard to argue with putting 101 Space Marines on the table in just 2000 points. As you identified though, it lacks any real mobility whatsoever, outside of the Assault Marines. The devastators can't move and shoot their heavy weapons, and the Tactical Marines can't shoot past 12" if they're foot-slogging. So the only reason I'd play a list like that (outside of a desire for a REALLY fluffy tournament list) would be because that just happens to be the models I have available.

The 2.5K list upgrades your anti-tank ability (which was okay, but not great) and grants you some mobility so your Tac Squads don't have to footslog. The downside is that at 2500 points, enemy lists are going to have a substantial amount of anti-armor, and the only targets available for it are your Rhinos. So they'll probably get wasted pretty quickly.

There's value in an all-infantry list like this, because it makes the enemy's anti-tank weapons largely irrelevant ("your lascannon killed one of my Tactical Marines, oh no!"). But all-infantry have limitations in terms of firepower and maneuverability. If you wanted to take that approach, I'd think about getting a Captain on a Bike, so you can take Bike Squads as Troops. This gives you scoring units that move fast, and can bring substantial firepower on the move, plus the captain provides some close-combat punch that is otherwise lacking in most Bike Squads. Then you have other options like Drop Pods for Tactical Squads or (even better) some Sternguard, to give you other options for heavier firepower.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

+ Reply to Thread