750p. and growing. Help? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750p. and growing. Help?

Hi. I'm fairly new to this game (though I have played my fair share of WH Fantasy), and I need some help regarding my new Space Marine army.

Right now, it's a 750p. balanced army:

Chaplain Cassius

6 Sternguard Veterans
    + 2 Heavy Flamers
    +2 Combi-Weapons
    + Drop Pod
    = 215p.

10 Tactical Marines
    + 1 Meltagun
    + Heavy Bolter
    + 1 Combi-Melta
    + Drop Pod
    = 220p

5 Scouts w. Snipers
    + Camo Cloaks

1 Thunderfire Cannon

= 750p.

Fairly balanced army, drop either the Sternguards (if the enemy has a lot of infantry like IG, Orks or Tyranids) or the Tactical Squad (If there is a lot of tanks) turn one and blast away. Cassius goes with the Sternguards (not sure about him though). The Scouts and Cannon serves as fire support. How can I Evolve this army?

Another thing I would like to try is the insane ShrikeRush. The squad looks something like this:

Kayvaan Shrike

5 Vanguard Veterans
    + Jump Packs
    + x2 Lightning Claws
    + Melta Bomb
    = 315p.

[Treat people on LO like they know the rules better than you do]

How can I improve/evolve the top army list? My opponents are currently playing Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Tau, Orks and Tyranids, so I need it to stay balanced. Does the Shrike tactic work?

What do you think?

Last edited by Karmoon; November 18th, 2008 at 15:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

hello overlord

Please before posting further, read the LO rules thoroughly (which are found in my signature).

Always a good idea to do this no matter where or what

In this specific case you have posted individual points costs and rules which is not allowed on LO.
    I've taken the liberty in cleaning up your post on this one though - so no harm done.

More importantly:

A warm welcome to LO! I hope you enjoy your stay

Karmoon
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thanks

Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

hi,

i'd take the first list over the "Shrike Rush", because sure your insanely overpriced CC unit would rip through any of your opponents units, but then next turn she/he'll devote pretty much all of his/her forces to wiping it off the board, which wouldn't actually be too hard. so especially in a small force, don't waste half your points on 6 power armoured men, as you could save a hundred or so points by taking 5 terminators instead.

but for laughs, it is nice to see 5 marines beat back/annihilate an entire squad of guardsmen, even if they don't live to see the light of the 2nd day (counting on your opponents intelligence)

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, with the Shrike list I wiped 73 (!!!) Guardsmen turn one Too bad I was nearly annihilated turn two by his tanks

But does the top list look ok? How can I expand it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

You definately want to get some dev's next, as you will want to get some good tank punching power, specially since in a 750 competitive arena you will see raider's and russ's....

How ever I really like the way it is going so far, also maybe look at getting a razorback for the stern's and cassius (very good choice for a HQ being Toughness High and FNP is always a great thing)
    Slaanesh, god of the beer goggles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So should i cut points from something and give my Sternguards a Razorback or should save that for higher points? That seems like a good idea, but I would have to remove one of the Sternguards to fit Cassius in with them.
    What weapon should I upgrade with? Any of the alternatives seems nice.

Is Devastators really neccesary when I have 3 Meltaguns of which 2 could be used against different tanks turn one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Range is nice... and you will find that having to run across to get in range will just lead to your melta's dieing, and I really would bother upgrading the razor just give it EA, as for the sterns maybe giving the sargeant a powerfist and a bolter would not be a bad idea, and yea go ahead and drop down to 5 stern's...

again I really emphasise that you are going to be starving for range, such as my army I run two Dev's one land raider and a plasma cannon, and those things never move, even if they are in charge range they sit and fire and do their job...

and yea you can wait on the razor until a little higher points cost, and from every thing I can see you are definately starting stronger than I did : )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. So stability in range is more important then a fast (but quite unstable) first-turn drop pod assault? What about this:

Cassius

5 Sternguards
    + 2 Heavy Flamers
    + 2 Combi-Weapons
    + Melta Bomb

1 Razorback
    + Extra Armour
    + Lascannon

10 Space Marines
    + Lascannon
    + Meltagun

1 Thunderfire Cannon

5 Scouts
    + Snipers
    + Camo Cloaks

This Army doesn't have the speed of the other list, but it does look a bit more stable. Instead of having the Space Marines arriving by drop pod you put them with the Cannon to improve their protection. The Sternguards and Cassius go in the Rhino (I gave it a Lascannon just in case) and wreck havoc amongst the infantry ranks, as well as dealing considerable damage to tanks and heavy infantry. Does the Rhino have any Fire Points?
    Last edited by the_overlord; November 18th, 2008 at 17:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

the razor back does not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast