1750 Tournament List "Imperial Fists" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Tournament List "Imperial Fists"

Just a note, I am usually a Blood Angels player. But I wanted to try something different and see how the new dex played out. I really like the new dex. And and hope they give BA's the same love when they get around to giving them a real codex. BA's are still capable imo. However I do think that the new marines do have an edge over them, and the other stand alone chapters.

Without Further ado, my "Imperial Fists" (I'll be using a custom chapter more or less since I hate the yellow)

HQ: Lysander [ 200 ]

HQ: Command Squad [ 225 ]
    - Mounted on Bikes, Flamer x4, Apothecary

Elites: 10 Man Sternguard Vets. [ 305 ]
    - Drop Pod, Deathwind Missile Launcher

Elites: Iron Clad Dreadnought [ 200 ]
    -Heavy Flamer
    -Drop Pod, Deathwind Missile Launcher

Troops: 10 Man Tactical Squad [ 240 ]
    -Power Fist, Melta Gun, Multi-Melta
    -Drop Pod

-Power Fist, Melta Gun, Multi-Melta
    -Drop Pod

Troops: 10 Man Scout Squad [ 170 ]
    -Sniper Rifles x10, Camo Cloaks

Comments and what I was thinking when I made each selection:

Pretty Simple list, but I think effective. Drop Pod Assault, Pick the two first that will be best for the situation. I wanted this to be a versatile list capable of taking anything you can throw at it. From Armored company to the Green Tide. (Well maybe not the green tide but still)

Lysander goes in the drop pod with the Sternguard. Who are un-upgraded because their job is to come down and shoot the living sin out of things. Plus I didn't want to dump more points into that squad and they seem good enough as is. Lysander and them being veterns gives it the CC defense it needs imo. Plus with Bolter Drill... they are going to hit a lot. And there is not a single unit in the game IMO that can take their fire and live or have much left afterwords. (Sparing massive horde squads)

Scout Squads infiltrate with Camo cloaks, one into a Lysander reinforced terrain piece (hopefully holding an objective) Makes them a pain to get too and root out. 2+ cover saves anyone? Their job is to pin units, provide long range support and pick off stragglers.

Command Squad is the hammer to the drop pods Anvil really. They are there to provide support where needed. Tough 5, Feel No pain and fast moving should make them hard to pin down. And Bikes can get them across the board quickly. Plus five twin linked bolters and four flamers spell doom for most any infantry squad especially those pesky Orks and Nids.

Iron Clad, he's really a 'fix it' button for me in this list. Drop him down where he's needed as it's capable of tank hunting and troop killing.

Tactical Squads, these are meant to drop down provide fire support, then capture, contest or hold objectives. The meltas are for tank hunting, and heavy armor lists. Three Meltas, should be capable of killing or at least hindering a tank. As well as MC's and high tough high armor baddies.

Drop Pods, My whole goal with this list was to be a precise elite strike force. Drop down from the 'scouts' information. Do the job, then be done. Each one is equipped with a Deathwind, because four pie plates is fairly good for infantry killing. And there is a pretty big group of 'horde' and mass infantry lists around here.

Sorry for the rant. In any case, C&C welcome and desired. Pick away if the list utterly fails too. It's my first try with the new dex so hammer at me if needed ^_^

Last edited by Mesi; November 21st, 2008 at 19:42.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, nothing? Is the list that bad? =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks so perfect.
    Woah.

Write us a battle report asap
    Desolation Fists - 600pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

This will need verification, but Lysander is in Terminator armour which DOES allow him to join the sternguard squad, but does it allow him to be in a drop pod? I'm looking at the codex and the DP page doesn't list Terminators as able to embark in it, nor does the Terminator Armour page say anything about Drop Pods, so you'll have to get someone to confirm this.
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

hmm, it doesnt say any where about models in terminator armour not being able to use Drop Pods, it just doesn't let you buy a drop pod for the termie squads, So judging by the way the rules read I would say that there is no problem with putting him in, heh, you could even put 10 other models in with him since the DP can hold up to 12 models.
    Slaanesh, god of the beer goggles

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Mesi View Post
    Just a note, I am usually a Blood Angels player. But I wanted to try something different and see how the new dex played out. I really like the new dex. And and hope they give BA's the same love when they get around to giving them a real codex. BA's are still capable imo. However I do think that the new marines do have an edge over them, and the other stand alone chapters.

Without Further ado, my "Imperial Fists" (I'll be using a custom chapter more or less since I hate the yellow)

HQ: Lysander [ 200 ]

HQ: Command Squad [ 225 ]
    - Mounted on Bikes, Flamer x4, Apothecary

Elites: 10 Man Sternguard Vets. [ 305 ]
    - Drop Pod, Deathwind Missile Launcher

Elites: Iron Clad Dreadnought [ 200 ]
    -Heavy Flamer

-Power Fist, Melta Gun, Multi-Melta, Combi-Melta

Comments and what I was thinking when I made each selection:

Pretty Simple list, but I think effective. Drop Pod Assault, Pick the two first that will be best for the situation. I wanted this to be a versatile list capable of taking anything you can throw at it. From Armored company to the Green Tide. (Well maybe not the green tide but still)

Lysander goes in the drop pod with the Sternguard. Who are un-upgraded because their job is to come down and shoot the living sin out of things. Plus I didn't want to dump more points into that squad and they seem good enough as is. Lysander and them being veterns gives it the CC defense it needs imo. Plus with Bolter Drill... they are going to hit a lot. And there is not a single unit in the game IMO that can take their fire and live or have much left afterwords. (Sparing massive horde squads)

Scout Squads infiltrate with Camo cloaks, one into a Lysander reinforced terrain piece (hopefully holding an objective) Makes them a pain to get too and root out. 2+ cover saves anyone? Their job is to pin units, provide long range support and pick off stragglers.

Command Squad is the hammer to the drop pods Anvil really. They are there to provide support where needed. Tough 5, Feel No pain and fast moving should make them hard to pin down. And Bikes can get them across the board quickly. Plus five twin linked bolters and four flamers spell doom for most any infantry squad especially those pesky Orks and Nids.

Iron Clad, he's really a 'fix it' button for me in this list. Drop him down where he's needed as it's capable of tank hunting and troop killing.

Tactical Squads, these are meant to drop down provide fire support, then capture, contest or hold objectives. The meltas are for tank hunting, and heavy armor lists. Three Meltas, should be capable of killing or at least hindering a tank. As well as MC's and high tough high armor baddies.

Drop Pods, My whole goal with this list was to be a precise elite strike force. Drop down from the 'scouts' information. Do the job, then be done. Each one is equipped with a Deathwind, because four pie plates is fairly good for infantry killing. And there is a pretty big group of 'horde' and mass infantry lists around here.

Sorry for the rant. In any case, C&C welcome and desired. Pick away if the list utterly fails too. It's my first try with the new dex so hammer at me if needed ^_^

4 pie plates are indeed good for infantry killing - just be aware that they cannot shoot the turn they arrive! Drop pods are not classified as fast vehicles, which are the only vehicles that can shoot after deepstriking (as a deepstriking vehicle counts as moving at cruising speed).

AIt is a pretty fun list, however. Are you sure you need all the scouts to be snipers, however? they can be good as outflanking hth skirmishers as well. Although you have defined their role fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Acez View Post
    This will need verification, but Lysander is in Terminator armour which DOES allow him to join the sternguard squad, but does it allow him to be in a drop pod? I'm looking at the codex and the DP page doesn't list Terminators as able to embark in it, nor does the Terminator Armour page say anything about Drop Pods, so you'll have to get someone to confirm this.
    "Terminators" cannot choose drop pods as dedicated transports, however there is nothing stopping an independant character from joining a unit that has already got one. And an independant character does not become a 'terminator' simply because they are wearing terminator armour!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaver Junkie View Post
    4 pie plates are indeed good for infantry killing - just be aware that they cannot shoot the turn they arrive! Drop pods are not classified as fast vehicles, which are the only vehicles that can shoot after deepstriking (as a deepstriking vehicle counts as moving at cruising speed).

AIt is a pretty fun list, however. Are you sure you need all the scouts to be snipers, however? they can be good as outflanking hth skirmishers as well. Although you have defined their role fairly well.

"Terminators" cannot choose drop pods as dedicated transports, however there is nothing stopping an independant character from joining a unit that has already got one. And an independant character does not become a 'terminator' simply because they are wearing terminator armour!
    That's what I figured with Lysander. I was worried at first but when I saw that you could take 12 models in a drop pod, the only reason I could think of for increasing it's capacity was for an HQ in a 10 man squad in terminator armor. More so since it never said you couldn't.

I was debating honestly with the snipers or not. My main reason for deciding their role as I did was being a primary BA player. I wanted to try something different then the assault. (I've always played my BA's as a fast moving hard hitting assault force with a little medium range fire power.)

However I can see the merit in using their outflank. Will have to play test to see how it works out. Though the schedules been tight to fit some games in. I'll give a report asap.

Thanks for the comments. Any additional suggestions, will definitely be taken as this is my first try at the new Marines. And well given the 10 years I've been playing >> I've only played a 'non assault' type list a handful of times. So, advice is more then welcome ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

... the only problem with the list that i can see is lysander... He sucked as a sergeant and sucks even more as a captain... other than that though I really like the list.... Just wish that they hadn't made lysander a punk.
    Slaanesh, god of the beer goggles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could u clarify how the total cost was achieved?

i have a total of 265 for each squad because the extras add up to 40 pts and the pod with upgrades adds another 55pts on top of the 210 pts [inc extras] or am i missing something that pulls 25 points away?

p.s i hope i dont break any pts cost rules with this post

On the upside, the list looks good.

"you could even put 10 other models in with him since the DP can hold up to 12 models."
    i love now the pod model only has 10 harnesses but can carry 12 models... yay for hand-rails!
    Last edited by kiwiboy12; November 20th, 2008 at 23:41.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiboy12 View Post

Could u clarify how the total cost was achieved?

i have a total of 265 for each squad because the extras add up to 40 pts and the pod with upgrades adds another 55pts on top of the 210 pts [inc extras] or am i missing something that pulls 25 points away?

p.s i hope i dont break any pts cost rules with this post

On the upside, the list looks good.

"you could even put 10 other models in with him since the DP can hold up to 12 models."
    i love now the pod model only has 10 harnesses but can carry 12 models... yay for hand-rails!
    Actually yeah, I get the same cost too. You might have to drop a couple of deathwind launchers or something, Mesi.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast