3000 pts soul drinkers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3000 pts soul drinkers

ok ive put some thought into this and since i got some good reviews for my 2k army i decided to try adding another 1000pts so heres my 3k list.

HQ
    Captain - 2xLCS, aritficer armor, grenade launcher,
    Librarian - epostalary

ELITES
    sternguard veterans - 10 marines, 2 melta guns, 2xCF, 2xCP,3xCM, seargent with combi melta and PF, drop pod

TROOPS
    tactical 1 - 10 marines,plasma gun, plasma cannon, seargent with PW
    tactical 2 - 10 marines,plasma gun, plasma cannon, seargent with PW
    tactical 3 - 10 marines,melta gun, missle launcher, seargent with PW, drop pod
    tactical 4 - 10 marines, flamer, missle launcher, seargent with PW, drop pod

FAST
    vanguard veterans- 5marines, 4xPW, 4xSS, seargent with relic blade and SS,jumpacks
    vanguard veterans- 5marines, 4xPW, 4xSS, seargent with relic blade and SS,jumpacks

HEAVY
    devastator squad 1- 10 marines, 2 heavy bolters, 2 plasma cannons
    devastator squad 2- 10 marines, 2 lascannons, 2 missle launchers

total - about 3100 pts. ok its a little over but its very effective. any suggestions u have would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

I don't particulary like the vanguard. As far as I'm concerned, those are 'easy point'. Just one pie-plate, or one unit rapid firing and it's over for such a unit.

Also, I believe that 3 drop pods are too few for a game of such cost. I'd consider throwing those other two tacticals a drop pod as well. I'd like 4-6 drop pods in anything above 1500, so I suggest you go to at least that.

Also, you have very little marines on the table for such a cost. I would truly downgrade the vanguards somewhat and get them more numbers instead.

I don't particulary like the devastator configuration either. I'm not a fan of mixing heavy weapons. Missile launchers and lascannons I can understand, but heavy bolters really don't go well with the plasma cannons (except for range).

Why don't you make 3 units of it:
    1x 10, 2 lascannons, 2 missle launchers
    1x 5, 2 heavy bolters
    1x 5, 2 plasma cannons

That'll sort out a bit more.
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

woops forgot to include a few units so heres the revised list:

HQ
    Captain - 2xLCS, aritficer armor, grenade launcher,
    Librarian - epostalary

ELITES
    sternguard veterans - 10 marines, 2 melta guns, 2xCF, 2xCP,3xCM, seargent with combi melta and PF, drop pod

TROOPS
    tactical 1 - 10 marines,plasma gun, plasma cannon, seargent with PW
    tactical 2 - 10 marines,plasma gun, plasma cannon, seargent with PW
    tactical 3 - 10 marines,melta gun, missle launcher, seargent with PW, drop pod
    tactical 4 - 10 marines, flamer, missle launcher, seargent with PW, drop pod
    scout 1 - 9 scouts, tellion, 8 sniper rifles, missle launcher,camo cloaks

FAST
    vanguard veterans- 5marines, 4xPW, 4xSS, sergaent with relic blade and SS,jumpacks
    vanguard veterans- 5marines, 4xPW, 4xSS, sergaent with relic blade and SS,jumpacks

HEAVY
    devastator squad 1- 10 marines, 2 heavy bolters, 2 plasma cannons,razorback w/tw-assault cannons
    devastator squad 2- 10 marines, 2 lascannons, 2 missle launchers, razorback w/tw-lascannons

total - about 3040 pts.

Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

it may be due to fluff reasons, but you have got no where near enough armour for a 3000 point game.

2500 point games and up, I take one Ironclad Dreadnought and one Land Raider, as a Rule Of Thumb.

but other than that, drop the Vanguard Veterans, and pick up a squad or two of Assault Marines and/or Tactical Marines.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u have read the soul drinkers novels then ud know they dont have much in the way of armor. plus i have vanguards because after 2 chapter wars they are somewhat drained so the vanguards are like the best veterans left in the chapter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by moonis View Post
    if u have read the soul drinkers novels then ud know they dont have much in the way of armor. plus i have vanguards because after 2 chapter wars they are somewhat drained so the vanguards are like the best veterans left in the chapter.
    If you're not going to take more armor, and particularly some heavy armor, you might as well just ditch the Razorbacks. With no dreads, Land Raiders, or Predators on the table top, they'll last until maybe turn two at best. All the enemy anti-tank fire will go there, and adding the pricey weapons upgrades onto them just makes them a points sink.

Vanguard are ALSO a point sink, seeing as a minimum 5-man squad with jump packs almost costs the same as a ten-man normal assault squad. Yes, they get better toys and heroic intervention, but just giving your captain a jump pack and having him roll with one of the assault squads makes up for the loss of the toys. Plus it puts more bodies on the table, and Vanguard (like Sternguard) die just as easily as their normal Assault Marine (or Tactical Marine) brethren, despite their nifty bonuses and considerably higher point cost.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

+ Reply to Thread