2K Imperial list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2K Imperial list

Ok so heres the list i am currently using, what do y'all think?

regimental doctrines: sanctioned psykers, heavy weapons platoons, grenadiers, iron discipline, sharpshooters

H.Q.

Command Platoon
    JO with honorifica, macharian cross, power weapon, carapace armor, and iron discipline
    command squad with x1 trooper with flamer, x1 vet with standard, sanctioned psyker

fire support squad 1 with 3 heavy bolters and sharpshooters
    fire support squad 2 with 3 auto-cannons and sharpshooters
    mortar support squad 1 with 3 mortars
    mortar support squad 2 with 3 mortars

Troops
    1st platoon
    JO with power weapon and iron discipline
    sanctioned psyker
    squad1-1 x1 trooper with flamer, sharpshooters
    squad1-2 x1 trooper with flamer, sharpshooters
    squad1-3 x1 trooper with flamer, sharpshooters

2nd platoon
    sanctioned psyker
    squad2-1 x1 trooper with grenade launcher, sharpshooters
    squad2-2 x1 trooper with grenade launcher, sharpshooters
    squad2-3 x1 trooper with grenade launcher, sharpshooters

x7 Grenadiers with hellguns, x2 grenadiers with plasma guns, x1 veteran sergeant with power weapon
    Chimera with turret multi-laser, hull heavy flamer, and smoke launchers

Fast Attack

hellhound

x1 sentinel with heavy flamer

Heavy Support
    leeman russ demolisher with hull heavy bolter, rough terrain modification, extra armor

heavy weapons platoon
    JO with iron disipline
    x1 trooper with mortar and sanctioned psyker
    anti-tank squad 1 with 3 missle launchers and sharpshooters
    anti-tank squad 2 with 3 missle launchers and sharpshooters
    anti-tank squad 3 with 3 las cannons and sharp shooters

total 2000pts

Last edited by DarkRaven; November 29th, 2008 at 21:51.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi DarkRaven,

That's an interesting list. Have you actually used it yet? I would be interested to know how it has done, and especially how your Psykers have performed... I have considered using them, but nothing really jumps out at me as being terribly useful, especially against shooty armies who will probably kill most Psykers before they really make an impact (I assume). If you wouldn't mind, let me know how they've done for you.

Also, has the HQ Officer's Macharian Cross been worth its weight in your experience? That is another thing I would normally question, as the points could be spent elsewhere perhaps. The ability it affords could have some limited potential, but I don't know that it is really necessary.

My initial instinct would be to drop the HQ Officer's Macharian Cross, and maybe the Psykers, depending on your experience with their usefulness, and get another outflanking Sentinel with a Heavy Flamer or Multi Laser. I think the added tactical flexibility that 2 outflanking Sentinels give you is more valuable than a random power that may not do anything and the ability to redeploy one unit at the start of the game.

I really like your liberal use of heavy weapons squads... Those guys are my bread and butter.

I hope that helps.
    Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly the only type of play time i've had with this list is playtesting i've done against myself, lol, i've used similar lists against friends and they seem to do very well. the psykers have really come in handy whenever i've gotten either psyic lash or telapathic order (i used to use vox casters but it cost too many pts IMO). even machine curse is good for me for some anti tank in my foot sloggers.

sentinels for me have either done poorly or almost too good and i like a little more consistancy from my units so now a days i only use it to screen for my other, more powerful, tanks. and the addition of another makes me feel like i'm investing too many pts in an expendable "sheild".

the Macharian Cross comes in handy from time to time. because of my many heavy weapon squads i like to be able to redeploy one (usualy a missle team, or my las cannons) to a better 1st turn firing position on that oh so scary tank, or monsterus creature.

my heavy teams are what do the heavy hitting. most of the time my opponet (when it isn't me lol) is too distracted by the 70+ troopers with armor support to even notice my fire base until about half way through turn 2, but by then its too late as my line squads (or more accuratly the 30 or 40 that lived) are right on top of them rapid firing the rest of his army into obilivon. or my armor support is blasting him to bits.
    "War is crulity. It is of no use trying to reform it. The cruler it is, the faster its over." William Sherman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the Psykers consistent? I would imagine their random powers don't lend them very well to that end. But if they do the trick, don't fix what isn't broken.

My two cents (again):

What is your tactical plan with this army? You have a lot of heavy weapons teams that you probably don't want to be moving around too much... Is this a stationary shooty army, or an aggressive moving army? You seem to have elements of both in the list, and you mentioned that you used part of the army as footsloggers, rapid firing enemy models as you get close... Most every other army (save shooty Tau lists and non-mechanized IG lists) will be more mobile than your army and will get close to your gunlines anyway. I would think the feebleness of the average IG Guardsmen would cause you to want to keep the enemy moving into your rapid fire zone as you back away from them, not move towards them. That, and the fact that your mortars will be raining templates all over, springs the question, "Whacha doin there?" Then again, perhaps a mixed bag and strange tactics could confuse or surprise your opponent, which could work in your favor.

A Sentinel is only 35pts plus weaponry, which isn't a whole lot for an outflanking unit that could potentially take out or tie up an important enemy unit. I would put more thought into the best application of the Sentinel and if it fits into your army, cool. If not, maybe it could be substituted for something else... Maybe a Basilisk, Ogryns, or Rough Riders with a few more changes. I just question whether those points are best spent on an "expendible shield" as you put it, when they could be used to cause havoc behind your opponent's lines at crucial times.

I would give the list more time to present its strengths and weaknesses to you. Maybe take it to a local hobby shop and try to find some competition for it. I think it's an interesting list, and you may find that it works well for you.
    Last edited by geekUSA_BT; November 30th, 2008 at 07:33.
    Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the psykers fit my fluff pretty well, most of their powers are useful (lighting arc is only useful when fighting assault armies) that and almost no one uses them so people don't really know what to expect.

tactics are pretty stright forward. against shooty armies, and there are more than you would think (Tau, other IG, Iron warriors, gun heavy SMs, ect.) i send my 2 platoons, demo, and command squad right down the middle to deal with any assault troops head on. most people think just because guard aren't built for CC that they can't fight in CC, but think about it... our low armor saves makes power weapons useless, low toughness makes poinsion weapons and power fists worthless, but when i counter charge them with 3 squads i drag them down by weight of numbers (and a power weapon here or there doesn't hurt) in a turn or two.
    for flanking i send my grenadiers in their chimera, the hell hound, and my sentinel down the flanks as my heavy weapons teams make a fire nest in about mid-feild (or where ever gives them a good feild of fire) and blasts anything they can see. the mortars i found are great at keeping enemy flanking troops hiding behind cover in check (not to mention i don't mind lobbing a volley or two a bit close to a CC i'm about to lose...). it works out good

against assaulty armies i tend to sit back and blast the bajesus outta them and then surge my line squads forward to meet the charge when they close the gap. otherwise everything else does what it does against shooty armies (i still send the armor out to tackle those one or two shooting squads that are alwasy in their deployment zone).

i don't really have to worry about horde armies as i have more than enough templates to throw down to thin them out before they get to me. and against MEQ's i simply overwhelm them with weight in numbers (either bodies or bullets whatever is called for).
    "War is crulity. It is of no use trying to reform it. The cruler it is, the faster its over." William Sherman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm that's interesting, sharpshooters on quads with assault weapons. Definitely stuck to your one list kills all list eh? for as many short ranged weapons you definitely have the heavy weapons to compensate for that. You used to go lisk heavy on thse kinda lists too whatever happened to that anyways huh? Head down to chim's some time or gnomes and try this list out it'd be interesting to see how it lays out with the new rules.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i traded a lisk to you remember that lucius? i hate the lisk dead zone so i would need two to use them effectively and then i can't use my heavy weapons platoon or the big scary. and yes i like the "one list kills all" type of army, give me time to go out and burn one while they sit for an hour figuring out a list. i put sharpshooters on my line squads for when they rapid fire, since they only get to do it once, or twice if they're lucky, a game so i might as well make them count. i'm hoping to get to one of the hobby shops round here to play i just gotta figure out when to go lol.
    Last edited by DarkRaven; December 1st, 2008 at 03:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first time i've seen someone use sanctioned psykers. I would generally outfit them with force weapons if your going to take on high toughness models like tyranid carnifexs (works like a charm). Your list is really good can't really dis anything. If anything i can't see what your going to do with the 1st platoon with flamers. If there was cover would you hide them in there? or would you send them out into their hoping they reach the enemy before getiing completely drained out of numbers? Can i also suggest that your leman russ take a lascannon instead on its hull and maybe sponson HBs instead your getting an additional hb but also some anti-tank if your demo cannon is destroyed. I'm assuming that your going to fire all your hellguns out of the chimera when you can. This list has is pretty solid otherwise. Hope it works out for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so i played a game with my old list (about 1850 as i'm missing a line squad and a few HWs) and i've made some slight modifications, and rather than make a new thread i'll just post the revised list here (its pretty much the same with a few tweeks).

regimental doctrines: sanctioned psykers, heavy weapons platoons, grenadiers, iron discipline, sharpshooters

H.Q.

Command Platoon
    JO with honorifica, power weapon, carapace armor, and iron discipline
    command squad with x1 trooper with flamer, x1 vet with standard, sanctioned psyker

fire support squad 1 with 3 heavy bolters and sharpshooters
    fire support squad 2 with 3 auto-cannons and sharpshooters
    mortar support squad 1 with 3 mortars
    mortar support squad 2 with 3 mortars

Troops
    1st platoon
    JO with iron disipline
    squad1-1 x1 trooper with flamer
    squad1-2 x1 trooper with flamer
    squad1-3 x1 trooper with flamer

2nd platoon
    JO with iron disipline
    squad2-1 x1 trooper with grenade launcher
    squad2-2 x1 trooper with grenade launcher
    squad2-3 x1 trooper with grenade launcher

x7 Grenadiers with hellguns, x2 grenadiers with plasma guns, x1 veteran sergeant with power weapon
    Chimera with turret multi-laser, hull heavy flamer, and smoke launchers

Fast Attack

hellhound

Heavy Support
    leeman russ demolisher with hull heavy bolter, extra armor, rough terrain modification
    leeman russ demolisher with hull heavy bolter, extra armor, rough terrain modification

heavy weapons platoon
    sanctioned psyker
    anti-tank squad 1 with 3 missle launchers and sharpshooters
    anti-tank squad 2 with 3 missle launchers and sharpshooters
    anti-tank squad 3 with 3 las cannons and sharp shooters

total 2000pts

i drop SS from my line squads (they die too quick for it to be cost effective) and added mortars to my infantry platoon HQs as now they sit back in my deployment zones on top of my objectives so i can lay claim to them at the end of the game, and my HW platoon HQ gets to charge forward with my line squads now. dropped the sentinel, didn't do a thing for me, but added another demo as they rock hard core! and i dropped the MC from my command platoon. my psykers have done well, one of them accounting for 5 chaos space marines in CC with psycic lash, another a chaos predatior with machine curse, and a third 2 CSMs with his lighting arc, another has been useful incressing my leadership bubbles with telapathic order. only one has been totaly ineffective so far never got to use his machine curse.
    Last edited by DarkRaven; December 12th, 2008 at 07:01.

+ Reply to Thread