1750pt needs critiquing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750pt needs critiquing

I looked at my friend's codex and put together this force. I was wondering if this was viable as I've been putting together armies from various armies to make sure I actually understand them (and ultimately decide I want to play them). In particular I want to know how it would hold up against horde armies or mechanized. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

HQ
    Chapter Master-155pts
    Artificer Armour
    Lightning Claw

Honour Guard Squad- 175pts
    4 Marines
    Chapter Banner
    Elite
    5 Terminators- 230pts
    Cyclone Missile Launcher
    Dreadnaught-115pts
    Twinlinked Autocannon
    Troops
    Tactical Squad- 175pts
    10 marines
    Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad- 175pts
    10 marines
    Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad- 175pts
    10 marines
    Multi-Melta
    Fast Attack

Assault Marines-190pts
    10 marines
    Heavy Support

Devastator Squad- 230pts
    10 Marines
    2 Heavy Bolters
    2 Missile Launchers

Predator Tank- 130pts
    Twink-linked Lascannon Turret
    Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    1750pts Total

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Get PW + digiweapons instead to use the extra attack from the bolt pistol. Honour guard need a transport to stop them getting shot to bits. Would you allow an enemy unit like this to footslog towards your lines without shooting the hell out of them? A razorback would do nicely.

Elites: Termies are good. Dread should swap for a different weapon such as MM, LC or plasma cannon.

Troops: If you are playing defensive then get plasmaguns in the squads too, otherwise pay for meltas or take the free flamers.

Fast: They would really benefit from a PW or PF sarge.

Heavy: Pred should swap to AC & 2LC as it is cheaper and its weapons compliment each other better.
    Swap the devastators for attack bikes. Currently their weapons don't compliment each other either. Get 3 MM attack bikes and 2 HB attack bikes. These have the same number of wounds, better touchness and more importantly they can move and fire. Actually I would drop one attack bike for some points for other upgrades listed above. What about 3 MM bikes and 1 razorback then use the remaining points for upgrades.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help, when you get attack bikes do you have to pay 90pts for the squad then the additional 40pts per bike or does the first 90 already include bikes? Thanks in advance.

Maybe if i have enough points leftover i'll spring for a drop pod for the dread to really send my Tau/I.G. opponents into a panic.

EDIT: nvm the 90pts is for standard bikes, the 40pts is for the tougher attack bikes.
    Last edited by Cougmeister; December 3rd, 2008 at 23:52. Reason: last minute thoughts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cougmeister View Post
    Thanks for the help, when you get attack bikes do you have to pay 90pts for the squad then the additional 40pts per bike or does the first 90 already include bikes? Thanks in advance.

Maybe if i have enough points leftover i'll spring for a drop pod for the dread to really send my Tau/I.G. opponents into a panic.

EDIT: nvm the 90pts is for standard bikes, the 40pts is for the tougher attack bikes.
    On the same page as the bikes in the codex you can buy attack bike squads ie 1-3 attack bikes and no normal bikes in the unit. It was these I was referring to. I like attack bikes but not regular bikes.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I ended up getting the Razorback and passing out some Powerfists,along with the 3 MM Attack Bikes.
    Last edited by Cougmeister; December 4th, 2008 at 13:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few thoughts:

Drop the Chapter Master down to a Captain, as the Orbital Bombardment doesn't seem to be worth the points. Use a power weapon and digital weapons instead of the lighting claw and drop the artificer armor.

The Honor Guard is a point sink. Consider another Tactical Squad or Scout Squad so that you get an additional scoring unit on the table.

I like the Terminators! They're going to be valuable to any strategy that you might have.

On the Dreadnought, I'd drop the TL autocannon in favor of another weapon, like a multi-melta, or assault cannon.

The Tactical Squads look good, but I'd consider giving the Sergeants power fists. Same with the Assault Squad. That extra "punch" is almost invaluable in most games.

Normally, I don't mix weapons in a Devastator Squad. Really, I'd go with 4 missile launchers for their versatility and range.

The Predator is excellent. I don't know why more people don't use this configuration. It allows you to use it for a wider variety of combat roles.

That's my 2¢.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only things ill say is if u ever want lightning claws always get 2 or dont get any. that way u get the extra attack but still reroll wounds. also for the dread u need a better weapon UNLESS u make the dual autocannon one cause then that would be just funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my revised list. Any further thoughts
    HQ
    Chapter Master-155pts
    Articifer Armour
    Double Power Fist

Honour Guard Squad- 175pts
    4 Marines
    Chapter Banner

TRANSPORT: Razorback- 40pts

Elite
    5 Terminators- 230pts
    Cyclone Missile Launcher
    2 Chain Fists

Dreadnaught-105pts
    Multi-Melta
    Troops

Tactical Squad- 175pts
    10 marines
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer

Tactical Squad- 175pts
    10 marines
    Missile Lancher
    Flamer

Tactical Squad- 175pts
    10 marines
    Multi-Melta
    Flamer
    Fast Attack
    Assault Marines-215pts
    10 marines w/ Sarge
    Power Weapon

Attack Bike Squad- 150pts
    3 Bikes
    3 Multi-Meltas
    Heavy Support

Predator Tank- 120pts
    Autocannon Turret
    Lascannon Sponsons
    1750pts Total

The double powerfist on my commander was to give him that extra attack while also giving my command squad some anti-army power. (Plus it allows me to use the Calgar model). Also got them a standard razorback.

Popped on 2 chainfists on the Terms for more anti-armor in case there is some AV 14 out there

MM on the Dread

Gave Assault Squad a PW to the Sarge

Dropped Devastators for 3 MM Attack bikes

Swapped guns for Pred to shave like 10pts
    Last edited by Cougmeister; December 5th, 2008 at 04:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Zatt about dropping the Artificer armour, not worth the points. Use those extra points to upgrade some of your Tactical Squad Seargents maybe - other than that looks good.

+ Reply to Thread