2,500 Point Inquisitorial Army- The Ghost Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

2,500 Point Inquisitorial Army- The Ghost Wolves

I've recently discovered a strategy regarding troop transports. Given my unsuccessful attempts at driving my army into the heart of the enemy, I've become more attracted at the idea of using Chimera transports to defend a static fire base. Here's my go at a still-developing concept, what do you think?

Also, with the release of the new Space Marine codex, I can no longer field my Ghost Wolves Space Marine army, as it largely requires me to be able to infiltrate. I've decided that the Grey Knight Space Marines stat lines fit the Ghost Wolves fluff, and their Deep Strike ability could be used in place of Infiltrating

HQ 465
    Inquisitor Lord 95
    +Psychic Hood
    +Word of the Emperor
    + 3x Acolytes w/ Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons

Junior Officer (IG Ally) 370
    +Mortar
    +Sentinel Support Squadron w/ Autocannon and 2x Lascannons
    +2x Mortar Support Teams

Elites 355
    Grey Knight Terminators 245
    +Brother Captain and 4 Grey Knight Terminators

Vindicare Assassin 110

Troops 1,168
    First Platoon (IG Ally) 584
    Junior Officer
    +Mortar

First Squad
    +Mortar

Second Squad
    +Mortar

Third Squad
    +Missile Launcher and Flamer
    +Chimera w/ Heavy Bolter and Heavy Flamer
    ++Extra Armour, Improved Comms, Heavy Stubber, Search Light, Smoke Launchers

Fourth Squad
    +Chimera w/ Multilaser and Heavy Flamer
    ++Extra Armour, Heavy Stubber, Search Light, Smoke Launchers

Second Platoon (IG Ally) 584
    Junior Officer
    +Mortar

First Squad
    +Mortar

Second Squad
    +Mortar

Third Squad

Fourth Squad
    +Chimera w/ Heavy and Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack 430
    Grey Knights Teleport Attack 150
    +Justicar and 4 Grey Knights

Sentinel Squadron 130
    +3 Sentinels w/ Heavy Flamer and 2x Multilasers

Heavy Support 80
    Orbital Strike 80
    +Melta torpedo

Totals
    Models: 143

The over all strategy is to deploy in the best available game corner, taking terrain into heavy consideration, and set up as wide of a defensive wall of Chimeras as I can, given that their front armour will be facing out. The missile/flamer guardsmen will hide out inside of the Chimeras and take shots if necessary. The Mortar squads will remain obscured behind the Chimeras and lay down a considerable amount of fire power (some 13 blast templates per turn) The Grey Knights and Sentinels will be held in reserves to deep strike and out flank respectively, and the Orbital bombardment will be used to deter access across a critical area of the map, or to bomb a concentrated area of foes.

In the event that I need to capture objective, I will hopefully still have Chimeras left, and can load up and run for them on the last turn or two.

Questions, concerns, comments?

Last edited by BossGorestompa; December 20th, 2008 at 17:34.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Thank you for the input. I wasn't sure this list was that impressive at first, but after hearing what everyone has to say about it, I'm certain I'll be able to roll through top three at least with every tourny I take 'em to.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by BossGorestompa View Post
    I've recently discovered a strategy regarding troop transports. Given my unsuccessful attempts at driving my army into the heart of the enemy, I've become more attracted at the idea of using Chimera transports to defend a static fire base. Here's my go at a still-developing concept, what do you think?

Also, with the release of the new Space Marine codex, I can no longer field my Ghost Wolves Space Marine army, as it largely requires me to be able to infiltrate. I've decided that the Grey Knight Space Marines stat lines fit the Ghost Wolves fluff, and their Deep Strike ability could be used in place of Infiltrating

Cant you just take shreak (raven guard char) and call him something else fitting for your chapter?

HQ 465
    Inquisitor Lord 95
    +Psychic Hood
    +Word of the Emperor

Has no role. Doesn't even have any weapons. A 95pt psychic hood? Change load out or ditch, most effective being the shooty =][= build.

+Mortar
    +2x Mortar Support Teams

So i've been told by friends, never leave home without a HSO. Don't think you should mix n match weapons myself on the sentinels.

Elites 355
    Grey Knight Terminators 245
    +Brother Captain and 4 Grey Knight Terminators

What are they doing? Best in assault but as they are they a just a regular 5 man termi squad worth more points.

Vindicare Assassin 110

Not the best assassin and certainly wont win you any tornies. Callidus or Eversor are much better but you run the risk of mortaring your own assassin.

Troops 1,168
    First Platoon (IG Ally) 584
    Junior Officer
    +Mortar

First Squad
    +Mortar

Second Squad
    +Mortar

Third Squad
    +Chimera w/ Heavy Bolter and Heavy Flamer

Fourth Squad

Second Platoon (IG Ally) 584
    Junior Officer
    +Mortar

First Squad
    +Mortar

Second Squad
    +Mortar

Third Squad

Fourth Squad
    +Chimera w/ Heavy and Heavy Flamer

I simply think chimeras are not worth their points and if used there are far better uses (all plasma suicide command squad for instance).You have no other tanks so all anti tank is aimed at them. By the end game you'll be lucky to have one, maybe two left.
    Should be missile launcher and grenade launcher load out. Also why no grenade launchers in the other squads?
    Also to note is that this army is illegal as you must have at least the min 2 troops choices chosen from the parent list.

Fast Attack 430

Pretty much useless in 5th ed. Squads are far to small to cause enough damage and thanks to scatter will more than likely end up in the wrong place. If you want to use then here make them both ten man squads.

Sentinel Squadron 130
    +3 Sentinels w/ Heavy Flamer and 2x Multilasers

Again shouldn't mix n match weapons.

Heavy Support 80
    Orbital Strike 80
    +Melta torpedo

Useless in my experience. Worries the mind but does little unless by fluke. Should be a lance strike if anything.

Totals
    Models: 143

The over all strategy is to deploy in the best available game corner, taking terrain into heavy consideration, and set up as wide of a defensive wall of Chimeras as I can, given that their front armour will be facing out. The missile/flamer guardsmen will hide out inside of the Chimeras and take shots if necessary. The Mortar squads will remain obscured behind the Chimeras and lay down a considerable amount of fire power (some 13 blast templates per turn) The Grey Knights and Sentinels will be held in reserves to deep strike and out flank respectively, and the Orbital bombardment will be used to deter access across a critical area of the map, or to bomb a concentrated area of foes.

In the event that I need to capture objective, I will hopefully still have Chimeras left, and can load up and run for them on the last turn or two.

Questions, concerns, comments?
    The thing i keep reminding myself is this is a 2500pt list and apart from the odd bell and whistle and the (nearly) full IG platoons i just don't know where you spent it all.
    If you get assaulted in any way shape or form it would be game over, granted you'd have to wade through a lot of mortars but MEQs would have a field day. Also meched army's would also be laughing as 4 missile launchers and a couple of las cannons (on guardsmen!!!) in a 2500pt list is nothing.
    Why not change it to a IG parent list with DH as allies. The only thing that would change is 1 FAGK squad being dropped which you could just add to the other and the loss of the GKT. This would then allow those below par chims to be swooped out for shiny Bassies or Russes, mmm battle cannons. Or failing that you could always have armourd fist squads if you really wanted em.

Oh and i'd also like to note to your second post that patience is a virtue hmm.

PL
    Last edited by Pheonix Lord; December 21st, 2008 at 00:56.
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

291 (x5)

Ah, thank you for the reply. I didn't notice that anyone had posted anything, and stopped checking after a while.. I pretty much agree with your assessment.

This was, in the end, nothing more than a concept. But I'll run down the list anyways.

Inquisitor - Included for fluff

Junior Command Squad - I've only lost one combat to a heroic senior officer, they seem like a point sink to me.

Sentinels - I mixed weapons to provide some versatility. Might not be effective with BS 3, but one squadron is well suited to target both heavy and light tanks, as well as high T monstrous creatures. The other squadron is suited to target hordes / med T units.

Vindicaire - I just like them. With the ability to pick who takes the wounds, they can be used to systematically remove key elements from my opponent's army. Annoying commanders, special weapons, etc. I certainly don't expect to win the game with them, but I do expect to soften up a few key targets.

Grey Knights - With the comms arrays, I should be able to get them when I want them. Not a garuntee, and I agree it is still more of a risk than a reward.

IG PLatoons - Tanks are, from my experience, much more durible now.

I agree with most of your points. I think most of my problems are due to the list being 2,500 points - which I have very little experience with. Do you think this could work if I toned it down to something like 1,500 points, and used DH as allies instead of Guardsmen?

This has been a hasty reply, I appologize.. but I'm being rushed off of my computer, and I wanted to reply asap. Thanks for your input, any suggestions on how to fix 'er up? My central focus is a chimera wall, concealing a hefty amount of mortar fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Ah, thank you for the reply. I didn't notice that anyone had posted anything, and stopped checking after a while.. I pretty much agree with your assessment.

This was, in the end, nothing more than a concept. But I'll run down the list anyways.

Inquisitor - Included for fluff

You can have a fluffy inquisitor without making him terrible...

Junior Command Squad - I've only lost one combat to a heroic senior officer, they seem like a point sink to me.

I dunno about HSO junior officers work fairly well in my limited experience with IG.

Sentinels - I mixed weapons to provide some versatility. Might not be effective with BS 3, but one squadron is well suited to target both heavy and light tanks, as well as high T monstrous creatures. The other squadron is suited to target hordes / med T units.

I agree, do not mix weapons with sentinels, heavy flamers are only effective on sentinels if you have drop troops, which you can't get. Give them auto cannons and outflank, you don't have enough anti tank as it is.

Vindicaire - I just like them. With the ability to pick who takes the wounds, they can be used to systematically remove key elements from my opponent's army. Annoying commanders, special weapons, etc. I certainly don't expect to win the game with them, but I do expect to soften up a few key targets.

Vindicare assassins: look great on paper, in reality they don't do much, they will shoot 5 - 7 times a game. Ap 2 sounds great right? After you consider that opponent will almost always get a cover save you will be lucky to kill 2 models a game. If you really like him keep him, other wise hes points best spent else where.

Grey Knights - With the comms arrays, I should be able to get them when I want them. Not a garuntee, and I agree it is still more of a risk than a reward.

You will get them when you want them, but what are they going to do? 10 storm bolter shots and a 5 man unit? They will probably be shot up the turn after they deep strike.

IG PLatoons - Tanks are, from my experience, much more durible now.

They are, but at 2500 points 4 av 12 tanks aren't going to last you 7 turns.

I agree with most of your points. I think most of my problems are due to the list being 2,500 points - which I have very little experience with. Do you think this could work if I toned it down to something like 1,500 points, and used DH as allies instead of Guardsmen?

This has been a hasty reply, I appologize.. but I'm being rushed off of my computer, and I wanted to reply asap. Thanks for your input, any suggestions on how to fix 'er up? My central focus is a chimera wall, concealing a hefty amount of mortar fire.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

HQ 465
    Inquisitor Lord 95
    +Psychic Hood
    +Word of the Emperor

+Mortar
    +2x Mortar Support Teams
    Sorry to point out, but your HQ is illegal. You cannot induct IG HQ or Elites into your DH army (only Troops, FA, & Hvy), so the JO and his support teams has got to go.

Your troops are also illegal. Like PhoenixLord says, you must use 2 Troop choices from the DH codex first before you can use IG troops. Or you can field this army as IG with DH allies, in which case you need to drop 1 DH elite (GKT's or Assassin) and 1 FAGK squad. Then you can also get some tanks or heavy weapon platoons instead.

+ Reply to Thread