First Ever 1000 pt Infantry Army 85th Cadian "The Firedrakes" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Ever 1000 pt Infantry Army 85th Cadian "The Firedrakes"

So, this is my first ever 40K Army. I've wanted to play for a while, but with my influx of Christmas Cash I'll finally be purchasing all the Guardy goodness I've wanted. So, while borrowing a friend of mine's Rulebook and IG Codex I made up this 1000 point infantry army. I'm keeping the mini count a little thin, but thats only because I'm trying to keep my money costs down. Any advice or error corrections are greatly appreciated!

85th Cadian "The Firedrakes"
    Doctrines: Iron Discipline, Sharpshooters, Die Hards

HQ Command Squad - 150 Points
    Senior Officer w/ Honorifica Imperialus
    -Commissar
    -Medic
    -Guardsman with Master Vox
    -Guardsman with Meltagun
    -Guardsman with Plasmagun

HQ Command Support Squad - 80 Points
    -Heavy Weapons Team with Mortars

1st Platoon Command Squad - 130 Points
    Junior Officer w/ Power Sword, Bolt Pistol and Carapace Armour
    -Commissar
    -Guardsman with Vox-Caster
    -Guardsman with Meltagun
    -Guardsman

1st Platoon Command Support Squad - 55 Points
    -Heavy Weapons Team with Autocannon

1st Platoon, Able Squad - 101 Points
    Veteran Sergeant w/ Storm Bolter
    -Guardsman wiith Meltagun
    -8 Guardsmen

1st Platoon, Baker Squad - 101 Points
    -Guardsman with Meltagun
    -8 Guardsmen

2nd Platoon Command Squad - 130 Points
    Junior Officer with Power Sword, Bolt Pistol and Carapace Armour
    -Commissar
    -Guardsman with Vox-Caster
    -Guardsman with Meltagun
    -Guardsman

2nd Platoon Command Support Squad - 55 Points
    -Heavy Weapons Team with Autocannon

2nd Platoon, Charlie Squad - 101 Points
    -Guardsman with Meltagun
    -8 Guardsmen

2nd Platoon, Dog Squad - 101 Points
    -Guardsman with Meltagun
    -8 Guardsmen

TOTAL POINTS: 1004

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got it right? Hard to believe, considering I've never actually played anything with this army...or any 40K army before...

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Welcome to LO!

Forums traffic is going to be a little thin considering the date, so be patient

Keep in mind I have a very specific idea about optimizing Guard these days, but here are some general ideas:

Tweaks:

"2nd Platoon Command Support Squad - 55 Points
    -Heavy Weapons Team with Autocannon"
    The points look wrong here, and I'm assuming this is really attached to the HQ, since line platoons don't get fire support squads.

You mix Meltas and Plas a lot, which isn't really optimal since meltas want to get to withing 6" of enemy armor, and plasma want's to get within 12" of MEQs and Nurgle. Folks always argue versatility, but it usually means master-of-none.

Vox, Well, I'm not a Vox player, so I'll leave it alone. It looks like your first platoon might be moving a lot, so maybe the points will pay off.

Die Hards... never tried it in 5th. Was a point sink in 4th. But maybe keeping that last dude stuck in near the objective will help. I am dubious since Guard die so very fast.

You can go ahead and strip that command squad of special weapons. If you are paying all those points for a Vox Network, you really don't want to be standing in harm's way.

Major Changes:
    In 1000 points a Guard army have bring a pair of Leman Russes with little difficulty. You might even break even on money by doing a swap of a Russ for a Shock Troopers box.

Something along the line of:
    Command Squad, Line Platoon, Armored Fist, 2 Russes. But that would change your theme a lot.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions. If I had my Codex in front of me I'd post the bit of it that makes me think that every Command Squad can have between "0-2" Support Squads attached to it... or was that just the HQ Command and not the Platoon Commands...
    I'm going for a pure Infantry Army, because that's something that attracted me to the Guard in the first place; masses of Infantry with Artillery Support. If my thing about the Support Squads is wrong, all three of them will shift back to the HQ Command and become Mortars. Once I get the feel of it and play more (and get more cash) I'll be picking up some Bassies to really get the Artillery feel.

Once again, a query. You recommend stripping my Command Squads of Heavy Weapons and just making them have regular Guardsmen? I'd kinda envisioned them as being the "rock" of the army, heavy weapons, high Leadership and able to stand and fight. But maybe I'm totally wrong! LOL

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

1) plasma spam is no way to play guard, flamers and grenade launchers are better than meltaguns and plasma guns, if you played marines, then you will think that melta and plasma is better, but in truth guard is about templates.

I'd drop the vox network, a couple officers using close order drill(platoon officers) and iron disipline, following your troops will keep them from running, for less than half the price, vox networks are only of use for big(2000pts or higher, drop troop armies or fast outflanking guard armies)

drop the veteran sergeants, if it was 4th edition which had little cover, then I would say keep em, but since 5th edition has immense amounts of cover, drop them for just a regular sergeant, you could get another squad or 2 for the price of all those veteran sergeants with stormbolters

drop the commisars, you only need 1(if any) more men is better than a few 2 wound guys with good leadership and who shoot your officers.

drop sharpshooters....you do know that sharpshooters does not work on plasma or snipers, right?

and the biggest thing of all........Never, never use a mastervox!! it costs way too many points, if you must have a vox network abolutely, then take a regular vox in your command squad(voxes are a bad idea..)

dont take a senior officer with horifica imperialis, take a junior officer with it, you save 5 pts, or just take a horific senior officer, and give horifica to another character.(give it to a platoon officer, and match it with close order drill for a initiative 5 officer!!)

do your infantry squads have vox casters or not?

if you do these changes you will have 179 extra points!!
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar_Dixon View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. If I had my Codex in front of me I'd post the bit of it that makes me think that every Command Squad can have between "0-2" Support Squads attached to it... or was that just the HQ Command and not the Platoon Commands...
    Your Command Platoon (HQ slot) gets:
    0-2 Fire support
    0-2 Anti-tank
    0-2 Mortar

The Troops slot command squads only get the stuff in the grey box marked "Command Squad" not the rest of the goodies. That being said, you can fit everything there that you already have..

I'm going for a pure Infantry Army, because that's something that attracted me to the Guard in the first place; masses of Infantry with Artillery Support. If my thing about the Support Squads is wrong, all three of them will shift back to the HQ Command and become Mortars. Once I get the feel of it and play more (and get more cash) I'll be picking up some Bassies to really get the Artillery feel.
    My all-infantry guard often snuck in a Bassie or two. They are way too much fun.

Once again, a query. You recommend stripping my Command Squads of Heavy Weapons and just making them have regular Guardsmen? I'd kinda envisioned them as being the "rock" of the army, heavy weapons, high Leadership and able to stand and fight. But maybe I'm totally wrong! LOL
    Your HQ slot command squad has one job in life. Keep everyone else from breaking. He can't do that if he is a nice juicy target. A savy enemy will still target him, but he will mainly supply a 12" command bubble and Go to Ground every time he is shot at. If possible, hide him behind LOS-blocking terrain. Since he is hiding the whole time, the extra weapons become a point sink. And STRONGLY consider a standard bearer. Rerolls, LD9 and Iron Discipline make for a very tough firebase to crack.
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Dakka,Dakka,Dakka View Post
    1) plasma spam is no way to play guard, flamers and grenade launchers are better than meltaguns and plasma guns, if you played marines, then you will think that melta and plasma is better, but in truth guard is about templates.
    I can't argue with this statement properly because the philospohy is so askew of my own. There are numerous threads arguing the merits of each weapon type, and they each have their uses.

Since 5th edition has put us in a world where the venerable lascannon is no longer the king of tankbusting, meltas have become more useful. In a drops-troops army, they are critical.

Aqainst MEQs (Marines EQuivalents) plasma is still bettern than anything else even with cover saves in the equation. Against Demons and Orks, you might have an arguement for Grenade templates.

Anyways, I always build my armies for Take-all-comers. I already have my list before I know who I am playing. Therefore, I have to plan to be able to kill tanks/MEQs. So when in doubt, I bring the bigger guns.

drop sharpshooters....you do know that sharpshooters does not work on plasma or snipers, right?
    I didn't run through the points, so I didn't notice if he had sharp-shooters on every squad. If you choose to use Sharpshooters (which gives you an effective BS of 3.5) you should only spend the points on the fire support squads, squads doing meltagun spam and maybe the anti-tank squads. It is a waste on line squads.

[quote=Dakka,Dakka,Dakka;1328317]and the biggest thing of all........Never, never use a mastervox!! it costs way too many points, if you must have a vox network abolutely, then take a regular vox in your command squad(voxes are a bad idea..)[quote]

A little stongly stated, but I also don't use Voxes. Some folks swear by them though, especially since we now have to send our lads accross the table more than before.

dont take a senior officer with horifica imperialis, take a junior officer with it, you save 5 pts, or just take a horific senior officer, and give horifica to another character.(give it to a platoon officer, and match it with close order drill for a initiative 5 officer!!)
    Good catch on that.

For 1000 points, a single Junior Officer with Honrifica is fine. In larger armies you will move the Honorifica to a platoon HQ and use a Heroic Senior Officer in you HQ. That will give you two LD9, 12" bubbles with Iron Discipline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, the Commissars are there for fluff. If I had enough money, I'd buy a Commissar for each SQUAD. I'm not gonna be "teh hardcore" I'm playing with friends. I like the fluff about the Commissars.
    Second, I'm also meta gaming my current environment. My main competitions are going to be Chaos and Space Marines. I need those heavy weapons to be able to crack that tough Space Marine Armour.
    Third, and not being mean here Dakka, but I said earlier, I'm trying to keep the actual mini count down as I'm using my Christmas Cash on these and have some other stuff I wanna buy. So, that's why I went ahead and spent the points on Vet Sergeants and Storm Bolters, and Master Vox and etc, because I needed 1000 points on as many mini's as I listed. Now, if y'all have any suggestions on how to better fit 1000 points on what I've got listed, please post. But, I can't buy any new mini's.
    Fourth, I did space on giving the Senior Officer Honorifica. It's now a Junior Officer, with some more wargear.
    Fifth, I will shift those Autocannon's back to my HQ and turn them into Mortars, so I've got more barrages.
    Sixth, I did almost consider adding a Standard Bearer to my HQ Command, but what do I replace? The medic?

I know I must sound defensive, but I'm really grateful for all the help with the army. I'm about halfway done painting them all, and I'll be sure to post the results of my first battle when it occurs. Probably against a battalion of Heretical Space Marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redo!!

Ok, after reading all the comments I did a complete rework of the force. I dropped it to a 750 Point Army and added some fluffy background.

"The Firedrake Hatchlings" 85th Cadian 1st Volunteer Brigade

Doctrines in use: Close Order Drill, Iron Discipline, Drop Troops

HQ Command Squad: 111 Points
    Senior Officer w/ Powersword, Plasma Pistol, Carapace Armour and Iron Discipline
    - Standard Bearer with Regimental Standard
    - 3 Guardsmen

HQ Command Support Squad: 80 Points
    - 3 Heavy Weapons Teams with Mortars

1st Platoon, Command Squad: 60 Points
    Junior Officer with Chainsword, Plasma Pistol, Carapace Armour and Iron Discipline
    - 4 Guardsmen

1st Platoon, 1st Squad: 79 Points (Close Order Drill, Drop Troops)
    Sergeant w/ Iron Discipline
    - Guardsman with Grenade Launcher
    - Guardsman with Flamer
    - 7 Guardsmen

1st Platoon, 2nd Squad: 79 Points (Close Order Drill, Drop Troops)
    - Guardsman with Flamer
    - 7 Guardsmen

1st Platoon, 3rd Squad: 79 Points (Close Order Drill, Drop Troops)
    - Guardsman with Flamer
    - 7 Guardsmen

2nd Platoon Command Squad: 60 Points
    Junior Officer with Chainsword, Plasma Pistol, Carapace Armour and Iron Discipline
    - 4 Guardsmen

2nd Platoon Conscript Battalion: 197 Points (Close Order Drill)
    -Guardsman with Grenade Launcher
    -Guardsman with Flamer
    -Autocannon Team
    -35 Conscripts

TOTAL POINTS: 745
    Last edited by Commissar_Dixon; December 31st, 2008 at 18:49. Reason: Forgot Points on Conscript Battalion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A Couple of ideas for the Conscripts

as far as I remember have to be bought in a block of 20 to start then you can add an additional 30 guys, but they have to be in 10 man squads, so either 20,30,40 or 50 guys.

Also they don't need another command squad in there its just the big block-o-guys waiting to tar pit the big things. I would also advise dropping the auto cannon as the rather pitiful BS 2 conscripts are either going to be moving a lot of the time or not hitting so I personally think its a waste. A lot of people suggest using an independent commissar in with the conscripts to help them stay in a fight, tacked on at the back so he can be hit, thought that might be an idea if you like the commie fluff.

Hope that helps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast