2000 Point Assaulty Space Wolf Drop Pod army list for review - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x3)

2000 Point Assaulty Space Wolf Drop Pod army list for review

Most Drop Pod armies are based around shooting, but this one goes the opposite direction. It is a hand-to-hand army that uses drop pods to arrive right in the enemy's face.

Blood Claws in pods are insanely good right now. By taking an 11th member in the squad, you can take a third power fist, and still have room in the pod for a wolf guard sergeant with a power fist of his own. With the counterchange and berzerk charge special rules, that squad is going to get 12 power fist attacks and 31 regular attacks when it charges or when it gets charged. (And that's not even including the characters that go with it)

I'm really happy with this design. 72 bodies with 25 power fists is extremely fierce in HTH combat, and with so many power fists, I find that I don't need many anti-tank or anti-monstrous creature weapons because the fists can handle almost anything out there.
    I place Ragnar with the grey hunters so they have berzerk charge as well.

Depending on the opponent, I'll either hide the first three units behind their pods until they can charge the next turn, or I'll deploy in front and hit the enemy with some flamers and bolt shots. It all depends on how much hurt my opponent can put on me. The nice thing about the Wolf Guard Battle leaders is that their combi-meltaguns hit on a 2+, so I get a lot of utility out of that one shot, and they can detach from their squad when they land if they want to and pop a tank.

When I started playtesting the army, I thought it would have trouble with mechanized builds, but boy was I wrong. In 5th edition all power fist hits go against the rear armor, so I found that even when the vehicles were moving fast I'd still get more then enough hits to bring them down. In fact, sometimes I'd charge two or three tanks at once with the same squad and still have enough hits to bring them down.

So far I've played against IG, Mech Eldar, and Shooty Marines, and this list has done extremely well against them. In fact, I like it so much I'm painting up all the power fists I need so I can start fielding it in tournaments instead of just proxying the fists.

2000 Points

Uses Rules From Space Wolves Space Marines Codex

Models: 72 Vehicles: 6

HQ:
    Ragnar Blackmane (175 Points)

Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Power Fist and Combi-Meltagun. (100 Points)

Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Power Fist and Combi-Meltagun. (100 Points)

Troops:
    Grey Hunters Pack (11 model total):
    2 Grey Hunters with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol, 1 Grey Hunter with Meltagun, 7 Grey Hunters with Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. (210 Points)
    Wolf Guard Pack Leader with Combi-Meltagun, and Power Fist. (55 Points)
    Drop Pod. (35 Points)

Blood Claws Pack (11 model total):
    3 Blood Claws with Power Fist, 1 Blood Claw with Flamer, 7 Blood Claws with Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. (196 Points)
    Drop Pod with Locator Beacon. (45 Points)

Blood Claws Pack (11 model total):
    3 Blood Claws with Power Fist, 1 Blood Claw with Flamer, 7 Blood Claws with Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. (196 Points)
    Drop Pod with Locator Beacon. (45 Points)

Blood Claws Pack (12 model total):
    Wolf Guard Pack Leader with Combi-Flamer, and Power Fist. (50 Points)
    Drop Pod. (35 Points)

Drop Pod. (35 Points)

Drop Pod. (35 Points)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

2000 points on the nose, not a point wasted... There are no comments to make on this army list. Congratulations, you've made the best list I've seen in 5th edition, and one of the best space marine lists all time.

I'd like to know how this fairs against orks, although the word dominate comes to mind.
    Some lists will clean your clock, like a genestealer hoard and Daemons will give you a challenge But your likely not to face any of those lists in a tourney, as very few people field them, and a rare lose won't really hurt you.
    And being weak against a small fraction of army lists is fine when you'll crush everything else.

Good Hunting,
    My highest complements,
    Forged.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; January 10th, 2009 at 05:16.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

*jaw drops*

Crikey! I don't own a copy of the 'Wolves codex, but this list makes me think I should. Does the Wolves Codex refer you to the Space Marine Codex for drop pod costs and rules? I'm assuming it would have to, to have the most recent point cost and locator beacons. Geeze....

I just don't know what else to say. Basically the whole list is scoring, you've got a ton of Marine bodies to go around, and more than one-third of your models toting power fists is FRIGGIN' INSANE!

My god that list is broken, but oh so beautiful. That kinda makes you not want GW to tamper with the Space Wolves codex anytime soon. lol.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    2000 points on the nose, not a point wasted... There are no comments to make on this army list. Congratulations, you've made the best list I've seen in 5th edition, and one of the best space marine lists all time.
    Thanks, bro. I appreciate that.

Does the Wolves Codex refer you to the Space Marine Codex for drop pod costs and rules?
    Yep, the Space Wolf FAQ says to use the Codex SM rules and costs for drop pods.

Incidentally, the space wolf codex has a lot of "use the rules from Codex SM" in it, so we get things like the new storm shield rules that other special chapters miss out on.

I just don't know what else to say. Basically the whole list is scoring, you've got a ton of Marine bodies to go around, and more than one-third of your models toting power fists is FRIGGIN' INSANE!
    Power fists that get 3 attacks each, for double the insanity.

My god that list is broken, but oh so beautiful. That kinda makes you not want GW to tamper with the Space Wolves codex anytime soon. lol.
    Exactly. I'm hoping they do Dark Eldar and IG and Necrons first. The longer they delay it, the longer I can use this list.
    Last edited by Doctor Thunder; January 10th, 2009 at 05:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Nice list. How flattering does it feel to be, in all likelihood, the reason GW nerfs the Space Wolves?

Good Luck and knock em' dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

235 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac2786 View Post
    Wow. Nice list. How flattering does it feel to be, in all likelihood, the reason GW nerfs the Space Wolves?
    Man, I don't want be the reason GW nerfs the Space Wolves.

I just need to think positively. Unless I place well at a GT they'll probably never notice me.
    Last edited by Doctor Thunder; January 11th, 2009 at 04:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Can only say, Holy Emperor, Batman!

That will drop a Nidzilla-list like nothing or an IG Armoured Company..... Unfortunately I have 3 SW players in the club. I can just hope they don't copy this list....
    {Sodcactus}
    Member of S.I.S.A
    Playing Tyranids (4500 p), Black Templars (3500 p) and Lizardmen (2500 p)
    Of course I have a blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

This list sort of makes me want to cry a bit on the inside. To think that i wanted to do blood angels for close combat.... well, its back to the drawing board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This list is ILLEGAL. You can only put up to 10 models in a drop pod.

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

This list is from the old Space Wolf Codex. It is also over a year old. Look before you post.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

+ Reply to Thread