1500 pt Drop Pod List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt Drop Pod List

Ok, so this is my first 40K army list ever, which also makes it my first tabletop figure game list... ever.

The idea here is to use short ranged shooting, some assaulting and a little cleverness to win games. I kind of got an idea to play Space Marines the way some people play eldar... or something. Here it is, any criticism (constructive or otherwise) is welcome and appreciated!

HQ
    Chaplain in terminator armour

TROOPS
    10-strong scout squad, half with CC weapons and half with sniper rifles, sergeant has power weapon.
    Razorback w/twin-linked lascannon
    Teleport Homer

10-strong Tactical Squad w/plasma gun & plasma cannon. Drop Pod.

FAST ATTACK
    Land Speeder Storm w/multimelta

ELITES
    5 Terminators w/chainfists, one with Cyclone

10 Sternguard, all with combi-meltas, Sergeant has power fist. Drop Pod.

Venerable Dreadnought, Heavy Flamer + Multimelta, Extra Armour, Drop Pod

-----------

The general idea is versatility and close-range shooting coupled with some assaultyness (dread and terminators). Keep dropping in where enemy is weak, tankhunt with razorback and storm. Terminators appear where most needed, and can shoot or assault as battle dictates. Get close quick, and pick targets very carefully. The sniping scouts go in the razorback, which can place them in a good spot for pinning difficult enemies, the razorback can then tankhunt. The other scouts go in the Storm, which lets them assault weak pinning units (rangers and the like) or take weak objectives. The Storm can also tankhunt.

Am i even close to having the right idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All your termies dont need chainfists. Its a waste of points. If you want 1 or 2, go for it, more than that is overkill. Also, leave your Sgt. with his powersword so you have that one I4 power weapon that can weed out some of the hits your gonna take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kisengue View Post
    Ok, so this is my first 40K army list ever, which also makes it my first tabletop figure game list... ever.

The idea here is to use short ranged shooting, some assaulting and a little cleverness to win games. I kind of got an idea to play Space Marines the way some people play eldar... or something. Here it is, any criticism (constructive or otherwise) is welcome and appreciated!
    You stated that this is your first list, but it appears that you're not new to 40K, since you mentioned Eldar and their playing style as you know it well.

Now, onto your list:

HQ
    Chaplain in terminator armour
    This is a fine choice for HQ, but the Chaplain appears disconnected, no matter how I try to fit him in.

If he is supposed to run alone, a Captain would be a much better choice, with extra wound and better stats.

If he is to join the Terminators, he is again out of place, as a close combat beast being held back by a shooting unit. Look at the terminators comment for the details.

TROOPS
    10-strong scout squad, half with CC weapons and half with sniper rifles, sergeant has power weapon.
    Razorback w/twin-linked lascannon
    Teleport Homer
    The comment I'm about to throw is not intended to flame the thread, but it is my opinion about Space Marine scouts in 5th edition and as such, I'll pass to you to use as you wish.

Scouts were severely nerfed in 5th edition, up to the point that I don't even consider including them anymore. Their downgraded BS and WS make them a poor choice for both close combat or shooting units. Add to that their poor save and your just spent a lot of points for an unit you can't count on.

Their infiltrate ability is good, but forget about pinning any unit with them. The chances to do that are very slim. With 5 snipers, they will average at the most, 1 wound per shooting round. Against the majority of armies out there, this wound will be either saved or the unit will pass their leadership test.

The Razorback is also out of place, being very expensive for what you intend it to do (tank hunt). With a single Razorback on the field, at 1500 point level, he is a goner on the first round. Did I mentioned that in this configuration, he is a very expensive option? Think that for 5 more point you get a predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter sponsors (Yes, it is a different role in the field, but I'll get to the point in a moment) that have a much better armor and can function very efficiently.

10-strong Tactical Squad w/plasma gun & plasma cannon. Drop Pod.
    You almost got this right. 10 men tactical squads is the way to go, but not with Plasma.

Plasma weapons have two major issues: They get hot, often producing a casualty, and they are not assault weapons.

Flamer and Missile Launchers are free upgrades that match both sides of tactical Marines. You leave the Missile Launcher on one squad and take the flamer with your sergeant with a power weapon or power fist after using the combat squads rule during deployment.

Specially if you're new, don't take anything different until you played about 10 games and have a good feeling how tactical squads operate in the field.

So for troop choices, you'd take two 10 men squads with a flamer and missile launcher, a power weapon/power fist sergeant and a Rhino.

You should not upgrade to Razorback unless you are sure you'll always combat squad your tactical and should avoid the LasCannon option at all costs, unless it is part of your army fluff.

Razorbacks are fine, but in my opinion they are better suited for command squads.

FAST ATTACK
    Land Speeder Storm w/multimelta
    Another point sinker here. Without too many details, avoid taking Land Speeders until you are more experienced or GW decides to issue new rules. They were also severely nerfed in 5th edition to the point of being unusable.

Take Attack bikes instead. Cheaper and more resistant, they should be your choice for fast attack, although I see many players misplaying them quite often.

Use your Assault Bikes with Multi-Melta and go tank hunt with them.

ELITES
    5 Terminators w/chainfists, one with Cyclone
    As mentioned before, no chainfists. The only situation you'd need them would be for armor 14 all around, and if you need to use them to take it out, you already lost the game.

You picked shooting Terminators, not assault terminators. They are different options for a reason. A 5 men Terminator squad puts out an impressive 10 bolter shots from a good range and two extra missiles from the Cyclone, if you take the option. That's the equivalent of a full 10 men tactical, without the flamer and missile launcher, but the best part is that they are very mobile, being able to move and still shoot at full power.

That's exactly the role they should play. Shooty terminators should be shooting every turn, not engaged in close combat. There are exceptions, but this is a common mistake most players do.

Assault terminators, on the other hand, excel in close combat and you should try very hard to engage them in this role as soon as possible.

Now we can see why the Chaplain was out of place. He is more suitable to join assault terminator instead of shooty terminator and will be underutilized if you keep this configuration.

10 Sternguard, all with combi-meltas, Sergeant has power fist. Drop Pod.
    This is again a very expensive option and specially for a beginner. Sternguard are amazing but extremely expensive. Take only 5 men squad with Bolters and put them on a Rhino to mop up selected targets with their special ammunition at close range.

Venerable Dreadnought, Heavy Flamer + Multimelta, Extra Armour, Drop Pod
    Another expensive option that could be downgraded. It cost almost twice as much as a single dreadnought.

With the change in the penetration rules introduced by 5th edition, I switched from never taking a Dreadnought to always taking at least one in any list I do. That's how good they are at the moment.

Take at least one but with no upgrades. Just a simple Dreadnought with multi-melta and drop pod. Flamer upgrade is OK, but not necessary.

The general idea is versatility and close-range shooting coupled with some assaultyness (dread and terminators). Keep dropping in where enemy is weak, tankhunt with razorback and storm. Terminators appear where most needed, and can shoot or assault as battle dictates. Get close quick, and pick targets very carefully. The sniping scouts go in the razorback, which can place them in a good spot for pinning difficult enemies, the razorback can then tankhunt. The other scouts go in the Storm, which lets them assault weak pinning units (rangers and the like) or take weak objectives. The Storm can also tankhunt.

Am i even close to having the right idea?
    To round up, take a look at other lists and check the comments made by other experienced players. Read the tactica section. Play some games with 500/750 pts before committing to 1000 pts. I strongly recommend playing at least 5 games with 500 pts and 5 more at 750 pts before going to 1000 pts. You should then play at least 10 more games before thinking of going to 1250 pts. By the time you reach 1500 pts you should have played at least 20/30 games against different opponents and different armies to have a feel of what you need at 1500 pts.

If you decide to go ahead an commit to 1500 pts consider the following list (not a full point value list, just an overall idea):

Captain
    Command squad
    Razorback

Dreadnought with multi-melta and drop pod

2/3 tactical squads with flamer/missile launcher, sergeant with power weapon/power fist and Rhino.

Assault squad, Sergeant with power fist.

Bike squad with multi-melta biker with assault bike with multi-melta attached.

1 or 2 Predator(s) with HB and AC

Vindicator

The above list is flexible enough to take anything your enemy would throw at you at 1500 pts.
    Last edited by Cowboy; January 19th, 2009 at 05:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thank you for a very involved answer! I am familiar with the game, but only through obsessively reading on LO before registering/deciding to play it. =)

I will consider your post very thoroughly, thanks again!
    New to 40K, starting a Space Marine army. Fun!
    (Oh yeah, funny internet meme required in sig... think... think...
    ...ah!)
    PREPOSTERONE!

+ Reply to Thread