1500: 1st since 2nd Edition! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500: 1st since 2nd Edition!

OK I've not played for over ten years - since 2nd edition.
    I've put together an army which I'm yet to use. Please let me know what you think. I have to admit there are a lot of units in there just because I like the miniatures e.g. librarian, two terminator squads, storm bolter tac sergeant conversion, thunder hammer assault sergeant (games day captain model), Chronus... hopefully it will be reasonably effective?

Codex SM

Librarian 140
    Terminator armour, storm shield, smite, gate of infinity

Tactical squad 180
    Ten men
    Flamer, Missile launcher, storm bolter

Tactical squad 175
    Ten men
    Meltagun, heavy bolter

Scout squad 85
    Five men
    Sniper rifles, missile launcher

Terminator squad 235
    Five men
    Assault cannon, chainfist

Terminator squad 235
    Five men
    Cyclone, chainfist

Assault squad 130
    Five men
    no jump packs, rhino, thunder hammer

Land raider crusader 250

Sergeant Chronus 70

Bang on 1500

As far as tactics go:
    I'm hoping to use gate of infinity with the librarian to make the termies with assault cannon more mobile.

The second terminator squad will go in the land raider with the 5-man assault squad. Chronus should keep the land raider moving (I should change him for extra armour and Telion but i like his red helmet!). Hopefully they can get in close, disembark then shoot and assault.

I'm thinking the scouts might be useful as a third scoring unit and provide pinning possibilities as well as c'tan damage.

Hopefully the configuration of the tac squads allows them to cope reasonably well with a horde or a vehicle.

Note that I don't actually plan to embark the assault squad on their dedicated transport. I think I'll embark one of the tac squads on it in the 1st turn.

Please let me know what you think. I've got other stuff at my disposal (tac squads, 2 dev squads, standard land raider, dreadnought, captain sprue) so feel free to suggest substitutes. Also let me know if my plan is stupid - I'm a bit concerned that gate of infinity will scatter away my lib and termies to destruction. Toyed with idea of making lib an epistolary, would be sweet to use 1 power to get close then unleash shooting power but dropped that for scouts as was concerned by lack of troops.

Anyway I'd appreciate some comments - I've missed 2 editions of 40k. Still reeling from the loss of Necromunda...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Not a bad list. But in 5th edition, the game is more troop-based as they are the only units (with a very few exceptions) that can score. This, unfortunately, forces a lot of us to forgo many of the extras like elites & fast attack if we want to be competitive. As it is right now, you'd lose or tie about 2/3 of the times unless you manage to kill off all your opponent's troops or he's just as troop-lite as you.

First and foremost, I'd add rhinos for your tact squads. You need to protect them from getting killed. It also helps them to get to the objectives faster. Secondly, I'd try to increase your troops (assuming you have more marine models). Try to get another tactical squad in. I'd switch out the assault squad+rhino for more troops. Combine your termies into 1 squad of maybe 6-8 to help pay for the extra troops. This way, you can either DS your termies w/librarian or mount them on your LRC. If you do DS them, then I'd recommend you change your LRC to LR for ranged anti-tank. You can also sit 1 squad of marines in the LR and park it near your objective to protect it (this also saves you from having to get another rhino).

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I would probably deep strike the termie squads to be honest. This would allow you to get them up into the middle of the board where they are in range with all their weapons without having to weather the inevitable fire from the enemy.

Looking at this army I would say your land-raider is quite vulnerable, it is the only really scary thing in the army and as such will be engaged as quickly as possible in hand to hand.

Personally I would dump the land raider for sternguard.

(My personal rule is to reserve landraiders for 2000pt games where you take two......)
    Last edited by Visitor Q; February 16th, 2009 at 23:31.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers guys, what do you think of telion for the scouts?

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

For his price, I think Telion is a very good upgrade. I've used him once, and he easily made back his points. Definitely worth considering. Just make sure you protect your scouts with cover and maybe camo-cloaks.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Telion is definitly nice when you have a missile launcher with your scouts.

Missile launcher's aren't the best weapon for taking out tanks generally needing 5+ or 6+ to penetrate most vehicles. It is nice then to be able to at least be assured of hitting the thing.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

+ Reply to Thread