Need help for a 1500 point, new player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help for a 1500 point, new player

Hiyo all. I've been toying around with starting a 40K army recently, and a friend of mine just sold me 3 Leman Russ, some officers and commissars, and a Chimera for $50, so I figured now was the time to hop in.

I'm looking at making it 1500 or 2000 point, since that is what the local game shop here plays most often. I'm extremely new at 40K, and only played Flames of War, so I'm still trying to decide what to take. I have a love of big guns along with lots of grunts, so I was thinking of something along the lines of

1x Command HQ, maybe with Mortars and a Vox
    1x Stormtrooper Squad, possibly
    2x Infantry Platoons with 3 squads, with some heavy bolters and missile launchers
    scattered in
    1x Armored Fist Platoon with 2 squads & the Chimeras OR another normal platoon with several squads and my Chimera I already own tossed in. Might give them either a Vox or a Commissar. I don't know if making them armor hunters or using them as a flanking element would be more useful, since I do already have 3 tanks as a heavy punch against armor. I was thinking of making them an anti-infantry screen for the tanks.
    1x Heavy Platoon with the 3 Leman Russ, with sponsoon bolters and one officer

Tallied up in my head I think that'd bring me to around 1500 or maybe a bit over. But honestly I have no real clue of what I need and would really appreciate the help. Would the essentially mechanized platoon of Armoured Fist work well with the rest of the army or merely be a point (and dollar) waste?

How should I kit out my Leman Russ? I want one to have an officer, and I was debating putting on the pintle mounts as well as the Hellfire Missiles, but I can't decide if they're worth the point cost. The dozer blades too. As awesome as I think they look, do people use mines, ever?

Also are Commissars worth it? From a Soviet Flames of War player's perspective, I love the guys, and I'd like them in at least a couple squads but I don't know how to go about it nor if they are effective enough.

Would Basilisks be useful, at all? I tend to like artillery, mostly because it's my job in the (US Army) Guard and big explosions make me happy.

Tactics wise I'm looking at something with some mobility as well as stopping power, plus I find using both templates and outnumbering my opponant 2-1 great fun so large amounts of infantry would be nice. I'm looking at doctrines, but I'm unsure what could be useful with the sort of army I'm looking at, since I'm not sure what exactly my army is at the moment.

This will be used for fun at a couple game shops and with some friends, so I'm not looking for a completely number crunched army. Something that'll be effective as well as fun to look at and build in my book trumps something that's made to maximum awesomeness but is boring to play. I'd also prefer to use the 3 tanks and Chimera I already have, to save a little money and because I like heavy vehicles.

Thanks for the help. If there are any threads I missed here that already gift-wrapped what I asked, feel free to virtually smack me across the face and post the link. And what's this I hear about a new Codex coming out, and should I be worried that anything I do now will be made obsolete?

Last edited by Bhaal; February 18th, 2009 at 17:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

I made you a list with what you said you may like-

HQ-
    Junior Officer and Command Squad- Mortar, Vox 55pts

Commissar 45pts (in HQ)
    Commissar, power sword 50pts (in command of 1st platoon)

Elites-

Stormtroopers(10x)- 2x melts 120pts
    Chimera- Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter, extra armor 90pts

Troops-

Infantry Platoon-
    JO and staff- Rocket Launcher, vox, Power sword 60pts
    1st Squad- Heavy Bolter 70pts
    2nd Squad- Heavy Bolter 70pts
    3rd Squad- Rocked Launcher 75pts
    4th Squad- Heavy Bolter 70pts

Infantry Platoon-
    JO and staff- Rocket Launcher, vox, power sword 60pts
    1st Squad- Heavy Bolter 70pts
    2nd Squad- Heavy Bolter 70pts
    3rd Squad- Rocked Launcher 75pts
    4th Squad- Heavy Bolter 70pts

Leman Russ- Heavy Bolter, extra armor 150pts

Its 1500pts exactly, and as you like Commissars i added those in there. It gives you a solid base of infantry and a good amount of Leman Russ's. Use the Stormies to take objectives late in the game. You should have enough AT with the Lemans and RL's. I put Power Swords on your Platoon leaders and a commissar with some extra points that where left over. Keep the platoons in a "Command bubble" around a officer, as to steal leadership. Im going to teach you the first lesson, ALWAYS keep your tanks as cheap as possible, only upgrade them if you have extra points.

Hope this helps
    For someone to deal as much damage as you did, the Emperor must surely be at your side. - MaxDv
    107th Regiment, 5th Armored Battle Group- 5500pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response. That looks like it'll be fun to play, even if I am going to have to spend the next month painting it. And looking at it and mostly comprehending what I'm seeing, it looks pretty close to what I was aiming for.

And thanks for the tip about the tanks. Now to yank off the sponsons without breaking the model I put them on.

Edit, since I dislike double posting

Looking at it again, with that many officers and Commissars, would the Voxes be necessary?

And should I make a squad or two with close combat weaponry to break up assaults/plug in gaps? Either Guardsmen or one or two command squads?
    Last edited by Bhaal; February 19th, 2009 at 02:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

If youre gonna have cc weapons go with ogryns, they are the only thing decent enough in IG to use cc. I personnally dont like close combat with guard- theyre rubbish at it. Try taking sentinels and attacking units with a strength of 3 or less, they cant harm you!

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

get rid of voxes and btw a commisar with a power weapon is 45 pts not 50
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

+ Reply to Thread