2000 greyknights starter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 greyknights starter

i thought id take a swing at making a greyknights list so here goes.

HQ- 409
    Grandmaster- nemesis weapon,incinerator, icon of the just, psychic hood
    Retinue x 4- 1 TH/SS. incinerator

Elites- 335
    brother captain- Deamon hammer,incinerator, icon of the just
    GRT x 4- 1 TH/SS. incinerator

Troops- 843
    PWGK x 7 - Psycannon x 2, Justicar- meltabombs, targeter

Heavy- 415
    Dreadnaught- TWLC,ML
    Dreadnaught- TWLC,ML
    Dreadnaught- Incinerator, Plasma Cannon

total - 2002

so what do you guys think? would this be usable or not enough AT?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Psycannons belong on your GKT's instead because they can move and shoot 36" with it (the GK's can only shoot 18" if they move). I would change the PAGK psycannons to more PAGK's. Drop the Daemonhammer & Icon from your BC to help pay for psycannons and maybe buy another GKT or GK's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok redid the list and heres the new one

HQ- 429
    Grandmaster- nemesis weapon,psycannon, icon of the just, psychic hood
    Retinue x 4- 1 TH/SS. psycannon

Elites- 300
    brother captain- nemesis weapon,psycannon
    GRT x 4- 1 TH/SS. psycannon

Troops- 858
    PWGK x 8 - Incinerator x 2, Justicar- meltabombs, targeter,psycannon bolts
    PWGK x 8 - Incinerator x 2, Justicar- meltabombs, targeter, psycannon bolts
    PWGK x 8 - Incinerator x 2, Justicar- meltabombs, targeter, psycannon bolts

Heavy- 415
    Dreadnaught- TWLC,ML
    Dreadnaught- TWLC,ML

total - 2002

so........................ what do you think now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, I think the the amount of incinerators are not necessary unless you are facing alot of tyranids/orks/imperial guard/necron. The psycannon bolts on the justicar I also think are not necessary due to the point cost. Here is one question, What armies do you normally face against/What is the purpose of this list for, such as an all comers list, tournament, casual play, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do face alot of 30 mob orcs so i figured witt 6 incinerators and a plasma cannon that would go a nice way of softening them up before i charge. plus i used the psycannon bolts for fillers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by moonis View Post
    HQ- 409
    Grandmaster- nemesis weapon,incinerator, icon of the just, psychic hood
    Retinue x 4- 1 TH/SS. incinerator

Elites- 335
    brother captain- Deamon hammer,incinerator, icon of the just
    GRT x 4- 1 TH/SS. incinerator
    Unless you're mechanising your GKTs then Incinerators and TH/SS might not be the best buy (even if you're Deep Striking they're not great), and neither leader model particularly needs an Icon. I'd maybe keep the psychic hood. Maybe. Drop the Daemonhammer, the TH/SS and Icons, swap the Incinerators for psycannons, and you'll have a fairly formidable top-end.

Troops- 843
    Like jy said, drop all of these psycannons and take extra PAGKs instead.

Heavy- 415
    Dreadnaught- TWLC,ML
    Dreadnaught- TWLC,ML
    Give these two extra armour...

... and this one extra armour and smoke launchers.

so what do you guys think? would this be usable or not enough AT?
    One thing you soon learn about pure Grey Knights lists; there's NEVER enough AT This is more than you usually see at 2000pts though, you should be fine.

Kudos also for putting together a list without Land Raiders (though you might consider taking at least one... it gives you a bit more flexibility, 2 extra lascannons and it will also cost you less money-wise >_<).

EDIT: If you're fighting mainly Orks then the Incinerators and TH/SS might be a better buy, and you should definitely have enough AT to handle the rickety old crates the greenskins use. I'd still recommend maxing out your PAGK squads though (16 bolter shots in a full 10-man squad with 2 special weapons). I'm still not convinced the GM needs an Icon, mine tends to run fine as-is, and putting extra armour on the shooty dreads plus extra armour and smoke on the assaulty one are still worthwhile.
    Last edited by Frank Fugger; March 23rd, 2009 at 16:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Unless you are mounting those GKs I would get rid of those incinerators. You will do more damage and be safer against orks if you shoot them from afar with your Storm Bolters. Psycannon Bolts are a waste of points.

Extra Armor would be nice if you have the points. I might even have 3 anti-tank dreads as your units should be good enough at anti-troop by themselves, and because of how much tougher tanks have gotten in the new edition. This might not help every time against orks depending on how your friend plays, but against most armies it should, and IG are coming around the corner. This will give you the flexibility to have your GK units sit back and shoot, and not have to charge up with melta bombs if 2 dreads isn't enough.

I'm not a fan of Thunderhammers over NFW. S6 power weapon on init is generally much better than S8 at the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the TH/SS are there for if i need something to instantkill like a special character or if im facing carnifexes or wraithlors plus it gives them a SLIGHT chance on AV14 tanks if I can get enough weapon destroyeds lol. plus sitting back from afar and just shooting is a waste of the greykinghts since they do have s6 cc weapons. thats why i gave them incinerators because against most guys except marines or equivalents 2 heavy flamers that ignore invunerable saves are gonna hurt. throw in the stormbolters and then charge and you could kill almost a whole mob of orcs or a brood of guants that way. plus i figure if I can scatter the plasma cannon right then i could kill a few tanks with it by hitting the rear or side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by moonis View Post
    the TH/SS are there for if i need something to instantkill like a special character or if im facing carnifexes or wraithlors plus it gives them a SLIGHT chance on AV14 tanks if I can get enough weapon destroyeds lol.
    A 5-man GM retinue can kill Monstrous Creatures all day long with just their NFWs and Stormbolters, though a special ranged weapon might help. Any single model, be it a Monstrous Creature or whatever, with less than I5 you'll find will avoid your Grandmaster like the plague because of that funky Codex-creeping Force Weapon he has AV14 tanks are what your TLLC/ML Dreads and meltabombs are for.

+ Reply to Thread