1850 GK + Sisters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

1850 GK + Sisters

HQ - 111
    GK Brother Captain, Psycannon, Psychic Hood

HQ - 277
    Cannoness, Inferno Pistol, Blessed Weapon, Cloak of St. Aspira, Book of St. Lucius, Frags
    Celestian x 5 (Retinue), Frags, Heavy Flamer, Flamer
    Immolator, Smoke, Extra Armor

Elite - 119
    Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Close Combat Weapon, Bolt Pistol
    Vet Guardsman x 2, Plasmagun x 2
    Gun servitor, Plasma Cannon
    Mystic x 2

Troop - 250
    Justicar
    Grey Knight x 6, Psycannon x 2

Troop - 250
    Justicar

Troop - 215
    Sisters x 10, Heavy Flamer, Flamer
    Vet Superior, Book of St. Lucius, Brazier of Holy Fire
    Rhino, Extra Armor, Smoke

Fast Attack - 218
    Dominion x 6, Meltagun x 4
    Vet Superior, Book of St. Lucius
    Immolator, Extra Armor, Smoke

Heavy Support - 140
    Grey Knight Dreadnought, Twin-linked Lascannon, Missile Launcher

Heavy Support - 140

Heavy Support - 130
    Grey Knight Dreadnought, Twin-linked Lascannon

1850 points total
    15 Kill Points
    6 vehicles
    43 infantry
    5 Faith Points

I modified and trimmed back a bit off my old 2k list. The tournies around here run at 1850, so I'm aiming for something that can actually try to compete in that range.

This setup goes for a firebase made up of all the Daemonhunter forces, with a mech attack wing made of Sisters. The dreads provide enough long range support to help soften things up for the girls, and I've got enough faith points to help keep them alive in critical turns, or burn something down if I need to clear an objective (hence the tri-flamer 10-girl squad for Divine Guidance pain).

I tried seraphim but I'm liking the dominions a bit better overall. 4 meltaguns in a squad (5 if I snag a combi-melta) just gets the job done without needing Faith Points to do it. I'm not as sure yet on the Cannoness and her squad. Without an Imagifier they're not reliable for DG. They have, however, made an excellent tarpit before, and are good at whittling down enemies in assault. I'm debating trying to get the points to upgrade for a vet superior with an eviscerator to give them CC anti-tank and more CC punch in general, and holy terrors vs walkers. I kinda feel like I need to just get the squad a bit better focused with thier gear setup.

The 3rd Dread is also a maybe. For the same points, he could be kitted out with TL-AC / Incinerator instead, or his points could go to lots of squad upgrades (Eviscerators for all the vet superiors, psycannon for the Inquisitor, maybe some better armor and a Heirophant) or a Callidus Assassin.

Last edited by Xardian; March 20th, 2009 at 16:36.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

HQ - 111

HQ - 277
    Cannoness, Inferno Pistol, Blessed Weapon, Cloak of St. Aspira, Book of St. Lucius, Frags
    Don't bother with Veteran or Eviscerator. With just a retinue of 5, there's not enough bodies to shield her. They will die quickly so it's not worth the 35pt upgrade IMO.

Elite - 119
    Sage x 2
    If anyone deserves a psycannon, it's the Inq and his BS5. Also, for only 6pts I think, get a mystic. Lots of drop pod armies and maybe daemons also in tournaments.

Troop - 250
    Justicar

Troop - 250
    Justicar

Troop - 215

Fast Attack - 218

Heavy Support - 140

Heavy Support - 140

Heavy Support - 130
    I like your idea of TL-AC+Incinerator for the 3rd dread.

For 111, I don't think the BC is a good investment, esp. with just 1 wound. If it were me, I would make your Inq an HQ Inq Lord and use whatever left over to either increase the number of Grey Knights, add upgrades, or add another sisters troop choice. You can move also move your BC's psychic hood to your Inq Lord.

You are also lacking in anti-tank and/or anti-Monstrous Creatures. With just 2 TLLC+ML, 1 TLAC, and a dominion squad, you won't be taking down a lot of tanks or tough monsters. I suggest you consider meltabombs for your sisters, celestians and GK's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Oops! Those aren't Sages, they're Mystics. Typed the wrong thing

And actually, those 6 girls tend to last just about as long as the new Space Marine Assault Termies. They can get a 3+ invuln when it counts (2+ for the cannoness) and have managed to single-handedly tie up a squad of 15 burnaboyz + bigmek for 5 rounds of combat, finally losing after taking 10 with them They're no slouches, and they don't die quickly. Just gotta be careful about letting the enemy get shots on them, but that hasn't been much of an issue in any games yet.

In fact, thier main problem has been walkers, and not really having much to fend them off with in CC. Meltabombs are virtually useless in that regard. Hence the thought of an Eviscerator. Plus it'd help vs MCs in assault, though the Blessed Weapon does decently in that department.

I have to have the Brother Captain in order to include the dreadnoughts. So he has to stay. He could be upgraded to a Grand Master though.

The Cannoness needs to stay because she provides 40% of the faith points, so taking her out isn't an option either. So I can't have an Inquisitor Lord because both HQ slots are already filled.

With the points freed, he would certainly be getting a psycannon though. And add a sage for the last spot to boost his BS. Or actually get 2 sages and only 1 mystic, but I like having 2 mystics so if a vehicle deepstrikes (drop pod, soulgrinder, etc) then I can hand the attacks off to an AT dread. Or hand them off to the triple-psycannon GK squad against a horde. Especially since the main reason for 2 sages previously was to prevent overheats on the plasmacannon, and that doesn't work anymore since it's not part of the to-hit roll now.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xardian View Post
    Oops! Those aren't Sages, they're Mystics. Typed the wrong thing

Especially since the main reason for 2 sages previously was to prevent overheats on the plasmacannon, and that doesn't work anymore since it's not part of the to-hit roll now.
    Actually you still have to roll D6 to determine overheat for PC before rolling the scatter die. I made that mistake also until someone pointed it out for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

HQ - 277
    Probably my favourite squad in the entire WH Codex; Terminator Canoness and 5 Celestians in an Immolator

HQ - 111

Elite - 119
    Mystic x 2
    I'd swap the plasmaguns for a Heavy Bolter servitor; they don't hit as hard but they've got range and volume of fire, plus they don't Get Hot. If you're struggling for points I'd dump the three plasma blokies and take 2 HB servitors instead, give your Inquisitor a Psycannon and keep the BC on hand to provide a bit of support.

Troop - 250
    Justicar

Troop - 250
    Justicar
    Another suggestion, drop a PAGK from each of these squads. It's a bit of a gamble, but The Shrouding should keep them safe enough from anything 36" in range and there isn't much that can really take a toll on them from within 24" that the GKs can't hose down with bolter/psycannon spam.

Troop - 215
    Sisters in a tin. Nothin' wrong with that

Fast Attack - 218
    What about making this a unit of Sisters with two meltaguns? It'd give you an extra scoring unit if nothing else and should work just as well for taking out armour. I find Dominions are best served with 4 flamers and an Imagifer to hose down infantry, to me they just feel a bit unweildy with any other set-up.

Heavy Support - 140

Heavy Support - 140
    It might be worth taking extra armour on these two; as your only source of lascannon shots they're likely to receive a fair bit of attention.

Heavy Support - 130
    The TL-Autocannon/ Incinerator isn't a bad idea (I do so love the old autocannons myself and you really can't go wrong with an incinerator), but I dunno if there's much point keeping his DCCW if all your assaulty units are mounted. Maybe try a TL-Autocannon, another ML, and extra armour.

The Callidus might be an idea, but getting her to appear when you need her can be tricky (I'm assuming you'd be using her to support the Celestians). Eversors are slightly less unpredictable, and with their extended charge range they can run along behind the Celestians' Rhino quite happily. They can also outflank now, which might come in handy if he has a low-model shooty squad sitting in a corner. All said and done I wouldn't bother trying to fit an Assassin into this list, or if you do then possibly consider the Vindicare; he provides an extra bit of oomph at range (the Turbo Penetrator is pretty much a nailed-on penetrating hit on any AV) and he's the perfect model to sit alongside your shooty squads because he has an AP2 pistol, the Assassin close combat profile, and he can shoot models locked in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Actually you still have to roll D6 to determine overheat for PC before rolling the scatter die. I made that mistake also until someone pointed it out for me.
    I know, it's just that you can't re-roll the overheat die since it's not a to-hit roll So that particular benefit of sages isn't so hot anymore. Or perhaps, too hot?

@Frank

I've tried the two-melta in a normal squad approach and it just doesn't work very well. 2 meltaguns has trouble making something dead in 1 round of shooting, and I need something that will kill what it shoots at and can move on to a fresh target after that.

If I did swap the dominions to flamers, then I'd probably swap the celestians to meltas instead and make the dominions just be another rhino-riding flamer squad of sisters. With 2 meltas, an inferno pistol, and either a combi-melta or an eviscerator it could work out.
    Last edited by Xardian; March 20th, 2009 at 17:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

It's worth trying, a bit of resilience in numbers in your scoring units never hurts. The GKs hold objectives better than most Troops, but with squads that small in 1850pts there's a definite risk that your opponent will have something he can bring to bear that'll wash them away (usually some form of pie-plate...), and if you want to bring the psycannons to bear at their full effectiveness that means your Grey Knights will have to stand still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

There is another option for freeing up a few points.

I could drop 1 squad of grey knights and the retinue off the Inquisitor. then add a small squad of ISTs withplasmaguns and give the Inquisitor a plasmagun or psycannon and stick him with the ISTs.

I'd free up about 260-ish points doing that, and drop a Kill Point. With the points I can add eviscerators, maybe a missile launcher on the 3rd dread, upgrade to a grandmaster, or even squeeze in another squad of Sisters. But I would lose some of my counter-assault power in the firebase and a psycannon or two, as well as the option to hit things as they deepstrike.

Still, might be worth it to fit in 10 more girls in power armor with a few bells and whistles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

235 (x6)

If it's a GK base list (which it has to be if you want your Dreads) you can't drop a PAGK squad, because you've only got 2. If you're going to drop anything I'd make it the Inquisitor retinue; you should scoop enough points from that to get your upgrades, and maybe throw a couple more PAGKs into the squads. Also, if you're worried about Kill Points I really wouldn't take ISTs; they're god-awful.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I could drop 1 squad of grey knights and the retinue off the Inquisitor. then add a small squad of ISTs withplasmaguns and give the Inquisitor a plasmagun or psycannon and stick him with the ISTs.

I'd free up about 260-ish points doing that, and drop a Kill Point. With the points I can add eviscerators, maybe a missile launcher on the 3rd dread, upgrade to a grandmaster, or even squeeze in another squad of Sisters. But I would lose some of my counter-assault power in the firebase and a psycannon or two, as well as the option to hit things as they deepstrike.

Still, might be worth it to fit in 10 more girls in power armor with a few bells and whistles.
    Better yet, if you drop the Inq's retinue, just stick him with the PAGK's w/a psycannon. One thing I ALWAYS give my Inq is the Emperor's Tarot. Actually a lot of times I take an Inq just for that piece of wargear. For only 15, it's worth it to try to win 1st turn, esp. with Lascannons on dreads or LR's and psycannons to try to take away the mobility of my opponents on 1st turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast