1500pts WH + strategy (first list need help) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Member Orthanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    11 (x1)

    1500pts WH + strategy (first list need help)

    Based on knowledge of the game and use of S.M and I.G I have made a 1500pts list that has been changed and doctored around 7 times by my friend and myself and 2 times by you forum-ers. After a lot of hard thought, I beg you to kick the crap out of this list and make it good:

    NB: This list is currently undergoing changes as I jiggle points around in an attempt to bring advised changes to it

    HQ:
    inq lord + ret - 259
    inq lord (p.weapon, plas pist, ros, purgatus, hammer of witches
    3x Crus
    3x acolytes (carapace)
    1xfam
    1xpen
    1xmed

    Canoness - 130
    Canoness (evis, inf pist, jump pack, C of St A, BoSL)

    Elites:
    Inq+ret+rhino - 252
    inq (p.weapon, inf pist, ros, m.bombs, Div Pronouncement)
    2xcrus
    2xacolytes (carapace)
    1xfam
    1xmed
    Rhino (extra armour, smoke launchers)

    Inq+ret - 142
    Inq (p.weapon, storm bolter, psycannon bolts)
    3xVet guard (3x plasma guns)
    2xSage
    1xmed

    Callidus Assassin - 120

    Troops:
    SoB squad - 149
    9xsisters (2xstorm bolters)
    1x vet sister (Combi flamer-bolter, BoSL)

    Storm Troopers - 70
    5x troopers (2x plasma guns)

    Fast Attack:
    Dominion Squad - 228
    5xdominions (2xmelta guns, 2xflamers)
    1x vet sister (p.pist, BoSL)
    Imm (multi meltas)

    Heavy Support:
    Retributors - 161
    6x ret (4xh.bolters)
    1x vet sister (storm bolter)



    The plan is that the cannoness will fly between cover, trying to get close to either tanks or generals. The idea for her is to use the majority of the faith points of the army. Her role is to hunt tanks without using faith, and instant kill Generals using Hand of Emp (+2str) so she strikes at str 8 (instant kill tough 4 and below). When she kills generals with small elite retinues there is no doubt she will need help, this is what the callidus is for. The idea is that cannon shots inf pist killing one, callidus appears uses psykic flamer killing around 2 then both charge, one instant killing ingnoring armour saves one with str 3 but ignoring all saves. If the canoness kills a good tank or a general she has made her points back. The callidus should make her points back by jumping out of combat in enemies turn then re-charging in her own turn and so long as her targets (and hopefully victims) are chosen carefully.

    The inq with rhino and inq lord will crawl along where the cover is heaviest, and where there is none, the rhino will provide cover. The inq lord squad has a lot of spare wounds that can go such as the familiar, penetant and 3 acolytes before it really feels the hurt of firing, however it should really only spend 3 turns out of combat, of which at most 1 turn it will not be in cover. The inq in the rhino has anti-tank capability should the cannoness be killed early in the game.

    SoB squad should deal with any light infantry and for heavier infantry or light vehicles, i have an inq with an AP4 s.bolter that ignore inv. saves, 3 plasma guns with the ability to re-roll a failed hit to stop overheating. This used with the storm troops should be enough to deal with most more elite units that break through.

    I have also tried to develop a interesting use for my immolator. The idea is for the dominions inside to toast any passing infantry with flamers and any passing tanks/walkers with meltas. The immolator would stand infront of my shooting squads (say 6-12") From here it would use the multi melta's to deal with tanks at a longer range that haven't yet been dealt with or walkers which use close combat that are pushing down the flanks. If none of these are here then it can be used as a heavy infantry blaster. As combat squads need to hit my lines to do damage, the immolator (sitting just above charge range) if alive (unlikely) can either flamer them then tank shock to hold them up till help arrives whilst my ranged troops retreat, or if dead (likely) provide cover for my two flamers which can deal with troops as they are forced around the sides of the disembodied vehicle and my meltas to deal with walkers that must do the same.



    I hope I never play any of you having told you all my strategy, but I implore you to moan and whine at me about my strategy. I must admit it was largely created around what models I have seeing as I detest the sisters of battle models (they look like lamp-posts with melons glued to them) and so instead have used the redemptionists models from necromunda who are a more classical and superstitious looking bunch!

    Last edited by Orthanus; March 26th, 2009 at 00:56. Reason: Advice given by those who have replied

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member SilentNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    You have to have 10 total models, atleast, in a SoB unit.
    I wish you could make some 5 model units.
    "When Blood Speaks, Shadows Answer."




  4. #3
    Member Orthanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    11 (x1)

    I deserve to be shot

    Well that screwed everything up, I have changed the list accordingly after the most blaitent of schoolboy-esque errors
    Last edited by Orthanus; March 22nd, 2009 at 19:46.

  5. #4
    Senior Member WhiteRussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    31
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Orthanus View Post
    Based on knowledge of the game and use of S.M and I.G I have made a 1500pts list that has been changed and doctored around 7 times. After a lot of hard thought, I beg you to kick the crap out of this list and make it good:

    HQ:
    inq lord + ret - 259
    inq lord (p.weapon, plas pist, ros, purgatus, hammer of witches
    3x Crus
    3x acolytes (carapace)
    1xfam
    1xpen
    1xmed

    Melee Inquisitors work very poorly compared to any CC-geared unit, they are much better at shooting.

    Canoness - 125
    Canoness (evis, inf pist, jump pack, C of St A)

    You forgot to give book to her.

    Elites:
    Inq+ret+rhino - 252
    inq (p.weapon, inf pist, ros, m.bombs, Div Pronouncement)
    2xcrus
    2xacolytes (carapace)
    1xfam
    1xmed
    Rhino (extra armour, smoke launchers)

    See HQ comment.

    Inq+ret - 142
    Inq (p.weapon, storm bolter, psycannon bolts)
    3xVet guard (3x plasma guns)
    2xSage
    1xmed

    See HQ comment. If you like the inquisitorial feel, why not get some death-cult assassins? They will give the melee punch you are looking for.

    Callidus Assassin - 120

    Troops:
    SoB squad - 149
    9xsisters (2xstorm bolters)
    1x vet sister (Combi flamer-bolter, BoSL)
    Storm Bolters are sub-par weapon choice to anything else you can give them. Give them either flamer/flamer or melta/melta or melta/flamer options and they will rock your socks off.

    Storm Troopers - 70
    5x troopers (2x plasma guns)
    I use them only as a filler in my lists, but that is VERY rare. Id rather pay one more point and get so much more out of my unit.

    Fast Attack:
    Dominion Squad
    5xdominions (2xmelta guns, 2xflamers)
    1x vet sister (p.weapon, BoSL)
    Gear them up all with either meltas or flamers, they will be much more effective that way. Power weapons on regular sisters is a very poor choice imo, if you want her to melee, give an eviscerator.

    Heavy Support:
    Retributors - 166
    6x ret (4xh.bolters)
    1x vet sister (storm bolter, BoSL)
    You dont need storm bolter nor the book, they are too far away to be taking so much damage that they need to take LD checks with negative modifiers. Give books to regular squads, they are more useful at the front lines.

    Immolator - 85
    Imm (multi meltas)
    Immolator is much better with flamer.

    No exorcist... i like exorcist... everyone likes exorcist... enemies dont like exorcist... that makes us like exorcist even more...

    The plan is that the cannoness will fly between cover, trying to get close to either tanks or generals. The idea for her is to use the majority of the faith points of the army. Her role is to hunt tanks without using faith, and instant kill Generals using Hand of Emp (+2str) so she strikes at str 8 (instant kill tough 4 and below). When she kills generals with small elite retinues there is no doubt she will need help, this is what the callidus is for. The idea is that cannon shots inf pist killing one, callidus appears uses psykic flamer killing around 2 then both charge, one instant killing ingnoring armour saves one with str 3 but ignoring all saves. If the canoness kills a good tank or a general she has made her points back. The callidus should make her points back by jumping out of combat in enemies turn then re-charging in her own turn and so long as her targets (and hopefully victims) are chosen carefully.

    Callidus pays back the points using Word in Your Ear ability. Otherwise she does pay back killing HQs or some random troops that are well-entrenched. Callidus has higher str than 3.
    Canoness is good I suppose for killing tanks if you want her that way.

    The inq with rhino and inq lord will crawl along where the cover is heaviest, and where there is none, the rhino will provide cover. The inq lord squad has a lot of spare wounds that can go such as the familiar, penetant and 3 acolytes before it really feels the hurt of firing, however it should really only spend 3 turns out of combat, of which at most 1 turn it will not be in cover. The inq in the rhino has anti-tank capability should the cannoness be killed early in the game.

    SoB squad should deal with any light infantry and for heavier infantry or light vehicles, i have an inq with an AP4 s.bolter that ignore inv. saves, 3 plasma guns with the ability to re-roll a failed hit to stop overheating. This used with the storm troops should be enough to deal with most more elite units that break through.

    Divine guidance sister squad will do much much more damage than IST with two plasmas against heavy infantry.

    I have also tried to develop a interesting use for my immolator. The idea is for the dominions inside to toast any passing infantry with flamers and any passing tanks/walkers with meltas. The immolator would stand infront of my shooting squads (say 6-12") From here it would use the multi melta's to deal with tanks at a longer range that haven't yet been dealt with or walkers which use close combat that are pushing down the flanks. If none of these are here then it can be used as a heavy infantry blaster. As combat squads need to hit my lines to do damage, the immolator (sitting just above charge range) if alive (unlikely) can either flamer them then tank shock to hold them up till help arrives whilst my ranged troops retreat, or if dead (likely) provide cover for my two flamers which can deal with troops as they are forced around the sides of the disembodied vehicle and my meltas to deal with walkers that must do the same.
    Immolator's Melta effective range is 18", Melta gun on a sister has an effective range of 21". Just a thought.


    I hope I never play any of you having told you all my strategy, but I implore you to moan and whine at me about my strategy. I must admit it was largely created around what models I have seeing as I detest the sisters of battle models (they look like lamp-posts with melons glued to them) and so instead have used the redemptionists models from necromunda who are a more classical and superstitious looking bunch!
    I love redemptionist models!
    Hope this helped a bit.
    Cheers

  6. #5
    Member moonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    the dominions illegal becuase it says in the codex you MUST HAVE A TRANSPORT so you need a cheap rhino or immolator for this squad or drop the squad for more troops.

  7. #6
    Senior Member WhiteRussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    31
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by moonis View Post
    the dominions illegal becuase it says in the codex you MUST HAVE A TRANSPORT so you need a cheap rhino or immolator for this squad or drop the squad for more troops.
    My bad, I just assumed that the Immolator in his Heavy Choice was actually their dedicated.
    So to get them a transport he should just re-write the Immolator as one.

  8. #7
    Member Orthanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    11 (x1)

    In Defence of my Choices

    Firstly I would like to thank you as the first person to kick lumps out of my proper list, and after hard thought and due consideration I have decided that some of your points I agree with, others I do not.

    Inq lord- I fail to understand your point, surely and inquisitor +ret is a 10 man combat squad? Equally having play SoB all too frequently I am terrified of combat inq with crusaders as they make a horrible mess of power armoured units (this is speaking as a ex-black templars player). Also the Combat squads in Witch Hunters are TERRIBLE! Repentia are disgustingly over priced and never make it to the enemy lines, and flagellents require a priest. They too have a horrible tendance to never reach enemy lines as they die if you ever roll a 6 and 1 wound, 4+ save at 35pts is risky at best

    Cannoness- fair point, I have booked her and changed it accordingly in the list.

    Inq with rhino- Hmm, I can sort of see your point about combat squads with this one seeing as it is only a 7 man squad, however its utility is as a mobile combat squad to support either Inq lord or troops that are in trouble and tank hunter if all else fails. I will look into this further, see if I can do anything, but for the time being I will leave it as is.

    Inq normal- this is a shooting squad, hence the 3xplasma guns and 2xsages. And Death Cult assassins are too costly for fragility in my opinion, though feel free to disagree, people tend to leave them to the last minuite then gun them down. You could argue that that is 1 squad's shooting wasted on 40 points but not if it is a 5 man squad (which is all they are really able to take down)

    SoB- The idea with this squad was to let the enemy come to me. Storm bolters are 1 point cheaper than flamers and 5 points cheaper than Melta guns. 24" range, assuming the enemy comes towards you at 6" p/t, thats around 3 turns of shooting straight line, 6xshots per S.bolter. thats 4 hit, 2 wound, 1 kill. If you walk backwards with your SoB unit that also gives you an extra turn of shooting as s.bolters are assault. Flamers you get 1 shot, you hit around 4 at best with the template if the person you play is bunching his men together thats 2 wound 1 kill: same result, 1 point more. Meltas get 1 shot, 2/3 chance of hitting, 5/6 chance of wounding 100% kill. This works out at 10/18, meaning just over 50% chance of killing a unit. Ofcourse you get the added bonus of having defence against tanks and combat walkers however I have a lot of anti tank weaponry already. From this maths I pronounce that for the task that the squad is set, the S.bolter is the best weapon for the job. I already have a flamer in the combi bolter on the vet sis and having more than one flamer does tend to limit the number of casulaties caused by later flamers.

    Storm Troopers- I used this squad because a) I had run out of redemptionist models and they are £25 for 8 (thank god for eBay, providers of what I have), and b) because space marines are the army that is generally picked by anyone under the age of 15 who starts playing 40k (I'm living proof), this along with SM already being the most popular army and being flanked by swathes of power armoured tough-guys i felt the lack of any anti heavy infantry. I also disagree with your statement, my SoB squad for example (assuming I pass faith test for div guide) at >12", 1 shot is AP1. At <12" = 2 shots are AP1. With storm troopers, >12"= 1 shot is AP2, <12" 2-3 shots are AP2. There is ofcourse the arguement that with the other storm bolter shots the SoB will cause 1 more wound overall at >12" and 2 more at <12", however do remember that they cost 79 points more and use up a valuable faithpoint.

    Dominions- I sort of agree with the fact that they will be more adept at a certain task, but equally they will become inflexable and useless at others. It is no use firing melta guns against a unit of light infantry deep in cover, equally it is no use firing flamers at a carnefex. I went for a 2 - 2 split because 2x meltas means that you will statistically be guarenteed to get a hit to give you a chance to penetrate vehicles, and also because any more that 2 flamers and you tend to hit nothing because you have already immolated the enemy units close. I do however agree about the power weapon, that was more a cheap item to use if/when the unit is charged, I have however decided that it would be better to use a Plasma Pistol, this gives me more shots of a higher strength which though no real replacement for a melta gun against vehicles, should help get rid of monsterous creatures and the like. (also I realised that my immolator is in the wrong place, will change that)

    Immolators and Exercists: Yes I totally agree with you about exercists being awesome, however at £30 for 135pts of tank it seems a little too pricey for me. I will scour eBay for one cheap but until then an Immolator with M.meltas seems a cheap replacement. At £18 that i bought it for and just 85pts in game, though not as good it does the job and can house the Dominions. I have yet to put my immolator together, however my plan atm is to use blue tac and change weapons to flamers when appropriate to the list/I get my exercist

    Retributors- Yes fair point about the book which was taken incase of mass casulaties (say 2/7 remaining) and stop those 2 legging it off the board. However seeing as I now see that one a BoSL is much more appropriate on the Cannoness, the Vet sister gave it to the cannoness as a birthday present ^_^

    Once again thankyou very much for ripping my list appart. I implore you to reply again with any rebuttle and others to kick the stuffing out of the list. I will now edit my list and effect some if not all of the changes you suggested. I was intreeged (spelling?) by you comments on CC inq's being rubbish. I have only faced 2 different armies of SoB, played them a total of around 6-7 times, a CC inq was used in both lists and 5/6-7 times made back their points for my opponant. Was I just unlucky/dealt with them incorrectly?

    ---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

    That seemed so much shorter when I typed it = P

  9. #8
    Senior Member WhiteRussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    31
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Orthanus View Post
    Firstly I would like to thank you as the first person to kick lumps out of my proper list, and after hard thought and due consideration I have decided that some of your points I agree with, others I do not.


    Inq lord- I fail to understand your point, surely and inquisitor +ret is a 10 man combat squad? Equally having play SoB all too frequently I am terrified of combat inq with crusaders as they make a horrible mess of power armoured units (this is speaking as a ex-black templars player). Also the Combat squads in Witch Hunters are TERRIBLE! Repentia are disgustingly over priced and never make it to the enemy lines, and flagellents require a priest. They too have a horrible tendance to never reach enemy lines as they die if you ever roll a 6 and 1 wound, 4+ save at 35pts is risky at best

    That is the problem when fighting a CC army against melee inquisitors. You are not supposed to engage the "I" melee squad in melee. They are very very vulnerable to shooting from rapid fire bolters. In fact one squad of marines can hose down "I" squad almost to a nil.
    Repentia are dismal in anything but killing land raiders, but if your opponent allows them anywhere near one you will not need much to win against his strategy.

    Options to solve "we are weak in melee" dilema:

    -If you want a melee unit, why not look into an over-priced-crazy-to-melee Grey Knights? Those uber-str power weapon maniacs can be very scary in melee.

    -Or if you like the ecclesiarchal feel - zealots. Those madmen with a priest will give you 5 eviscerator carrying nutworks with re-rolls to hit on charge, and 16 meatshield spares for I believe less than 200 points (i can check on point costs when I am at home).

    -Otherwise Callidus or Eversor assassins are coping with a lot of melee threats. Can maybe try death-cult?

    -Lastsly is I believe a most rational solution without too much point spending, is to give your Battle squads an Eviscerator. Str 8/5 attacks from whole squad is not something to sneeze at.


    Cannoness- fair point, I have booked her and changed it accordingly in the list.

    Inq with rhino- Hmm, I can sort of see your point about combat squads with this one seeing as it is only a 7 man squad, however its utility is as a mobile combat squad to support either Inq lord or troops that are in trouble and tank hunter if all else fails. I will look into this further, see if I can do anything, but for the time being I will leave it as is.

    I would really say same thing for this inquisitor as for HQ. A shooty support unit to protect backlines is important if you make a good lines of fire for him.

    Inq normal- this is a shooting squad, hence the 3xplasma guns and 2xsages. And Death Cult assassins are too costly for fragility in my opinion, though feel free to disagree, people tend to leave them to the last minuite then gun them down. You could argue that that is 1 squad's shooting wasted on 40 points but not if it is a 5 man squad (which is all they are really able to take down)

    If you like to rain plasma on people than they are your guys I suppose. They are immobile, I would, if I would see them on a table, try to run away from them while shooting them down. They are vulnerable to shooting and are slow, maybe giving them a rhino would increase their effectiveness somehow?


    SoB- The idea with this squad was to let the enemy come to me. Storm bolters are 1 point cheaper than flamers and 5 points cheaper than Melta guns. 24" range, assuming the enemy comes towards you at 6" p/t, thats around 3 turns of shooting straight line, 6xshots per S.bolter. thats 4 hit, 2 wound, 1 kill. If you walk backwards with your SoB unit that also gives you an extra turn of shooting as s.bolters are assault. Flamers you get 1 shot, you hit around 4 at best with the template if the person you play is bunching his men together thats 2 wound 1 kill: same result, 1 point more. Meltas get 1 shot, 2/3 chance of hitting, 5/6 chance of wounding 100% kill. This works out at 10/18, meaning just over 50% chance of killing a unit. Ofcourse you get the added bonus of having defence against tanks and combat walkers however I have a lot of anti tank weaponry already. From this maths I pronounce that for the task that the squad is set, the S.bolter is the best weapon for the job. I already have a flamer in the combi bolter on the vet sis and having more than one flamer does tend to limit the number of casulaties caused by later flamers.

    The true power of sisters is not just their bolters and their power armour, but acts of faith. I have seen my seraphim squad decimate 20-30 enemies. With divine guidance + lots of flame throwers, with any luck you will get plenty of AP1 shots (than add up some bolters to that) and flamer AP1 hits also ignore cover that is so ample in 5th edition, makint it almost a c'tan sword that you throw at people like captain america and it returns to you after finishing its flamer-template arc of flight =) (wow i feel geeky). They get very good with practice at killing terminators and their kinds. Sisters are a quite an offensive force, they tend to do poorly with my entrenchments.

    Storm Troopers- I used this squad because a) I had run out of redemptionist models and they are £25 for 8 (thank god for eBay, providers of what I have), and b) because space marines are the army that is generally picked by anyone under the age of 15 who starts playing 40k (I'm living proof), this along with SM already being the most popular army and being flanked by swathes of power armoured tough-guys i felt the lack of any anti heavy infantry. I also disagree with your statement, my SoB squad for example (assuming I pass faith test for div guide) at >12", 1 shot is AP1. At <12" = 2 shots are AP1. With storm troopers, >12"= 1 shot is AP2, <12" 2-3 shots are AP2. There is ofcourse the arguement that with the other storm bolter shots the SoB will cause 1 more wound overall at >12" and 2 more at <12", however do remember that they cost 79 points more and use up a valuable faithpoint.

    I do not see much reasoning for this divine guidance calculation. I would look at it just statisticly:
    Starting squad:
    8 bolters, 1 hflamer, 1 flamer; I assume that a flamer would be able to hit at least 5 men:
    Every bolter shoots twice 16 shots>> 10.66 hit >> 1.77 out of them is a 6.
    Heavy flamer 5 hits >> 0.83 are 6
    Flamer 5 hits >> 0.83 are 6
    ==This totals 3.43 6s on your rolls. Also note that Heavy flamer wounds HEQ on 2 and MEQ on 3, that will calculate as saves later on. So 10 sisters on average will kill 3.43 models outright, not counting saves they will have to make. But that would depend on their save and toughness. A MEQ would suffer around 4-5 casualties on average, yielding 80 points not counting extra gear. The trick is, if this would be a terminator squad fired at, assuming they will do invulnerable 1.14 saves, it still means that 2.28 terminators would die from AP1 shots, with another two maybe dying from failing saves. This would yield 120 points neglecting the wargear.
    Flamers are also amazing at mowing hordes down, IG and boyz die like ants to a flamethrower to a flamethrower (excuse my shameless pun here).

    Dominions- I sort of agree with the fact that they will be more adept at a certain task, but equally they will become inflexable and useless at others. It is no use firing melta guns against a unit of light infantry deep in cover, equally it is no use firing flamers at a carnefex. I went for a 2 - 2 split because 2x meltas means that you will statistically be guarenteed to get a hit to give you a chance to penetrate vehicles, and also because any more that 2 flamers and you tend to hit nothing because you have already immolated the enemy units close. I do however agree about the power weapon, that was more a cheap item to use if/when the unit is charged, I have however decided that it would be better to use a Plasma Pistol, this gives me more shots of a higher strength which though no real replacement for a melta gun against vehicles, should help get rid of monsterous creatures and the like. (also I realised that my immolator is in the wrong place, will change that)

    Being adept at killing vehicles = eviscerator. I think it takes a bit of practice to run specialized squads (only flamer/only melta) but they become more effecient at what they do by a very large margin. The trick is to learn how to position them so they get into a right place at a right time.

    Immolators and Exercists: Yes I totally agree with you about exercists being awesome, however at £30 for 135pts of tank it seems a little too pricey for me. I will scour eBay for one cheap but until then an Immolator with M.meltas seems a cheap replacement. At £18 that i bought it for and just 85pts in game, though not as good it does the job and can house the Dominions. I have yet to put my immolator together, however my plan atm is to use blue tac and change weapons to flamers when appropriate to the list/I get my exercist

    Once i come back from a business trip I will post a conversion guide for exorcists I made out of Immolators. They look awesome, I have two converted and one regular, just because I think organ is too impressive to have several of, sorta like a centerpiece of an army.

    Retributors- Yes fair point about the book which was taken incase of mass casulaties (say 2/7 remaining) and stop those 2 legging it off the board. However seeing as I now see that one a BoSL is much more appropriate on the Cannoness, the Vet sister gave it to the cannoness as a birthday present ^_^

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANONESS!
    On a side note, if your squad should take such drastic casualties, it may be wise to let VSS to die in order to gain a faith point for her; in case she runs off the table you will effectively lose that point.


    Once again thankyou very much for ripping my list appart. I implore you to reply again with any rebuttle and others to kick the stuffing out of the list. I will now edit my list and effect some if not all of the changes you suggested. I was intreeged (spelling?) by you comments on CC inq's being rubbish. I have only faced 2 different armies of SoB, played them a total of around 6-7 times, a CC inq was used in both lists and 5/6-7 times made back their points for my opponant. Was I just unlucky/dealt with them incorrectly?

    As I noted earlier, I believe you just walked into a trap that melee inquisitor is for melee. Thanks for reasonable and interesting arguments, im enjoying this and looking forward to hearing more from you.

    Elaboration on inquisitors you faced:
    it would only come natural that if opponent is specced for melee he wants to be in melee, but true difference in squad's quality is its delivery. You can easily deny an inquisitor close combat by either shooting him down or just running away. While say, harlequins, have fleet and veil of tears. Terminators have grotesquely good armour etc.
    Inquisitor has rather poor armour for getting into close combat with a large number of foes. He is quite decent, if specced with a retinue to take out huge beats with either power-stake or force weapons. But that is something an exorcist can do with more ease and less point investment.


    ---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

    That seemed so much shorter when I typed it = P
    Cheers
    Last edited by WhiteRussian; March 25th, 2009 at 14:05.

  10. #9
    Member Orthanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    11 (x1)

    1 vs 1 bludgeoning match

    It would appear that white russian is the only one really going for it *puts on boxing gloves*. Ok lets go:

    Hmmm, if you speak from experience then I accept your point, however Grey Knights cannot go in this army list because the scum who run my club have outlawed allying armies except for inducted guard and inducted SM. If this weren't the case I would have demon-hosts and an inq with a psy-cannon so fast you wouldn't to have time to say "No! The heretics went the OTHER way!". Sister repentia need to be given a 3+ save and be 6 points cheaper before I even look at them properly, I <3 assassins but do hate deathcult because they get gunned into 41k and only allowed one temple assassin. The CC inq is because a) model looks bad-ass, b) because I need some CC in there SOMEWHERE (its a common symptom amongst ex B.temp players) and c) I added to the models bad-assness by cutting the sword away around 1cm and having him stab a dying chaos marine. Oh, can you give entire battle sister squads evis? And I doubt zealots will be allowed in my gaming-club.
    I do however take you point about fire power and so will deploy him again CC troops and use the hug cover tactic thanks to my most frequent opponants fetish for destroyed cities.

    for inq how much more shooty? Do you mean putting a flamer or two in there or putting some longer range weaponry in? Help me!

    Inq shooty was meant to camp in cover and kick the shite out of people with 3x 24" plasma shots and 2x24" str 4 AP4 shots. Also: tanks=expensive (though £18 immolators aint bad, hmmm......). Do you think that the squad will underperform if they occupy small pieces of cover or holding an objective and killing small detachments sent to claim it?

    Dunno about lots of flamers but I see what you on about and I think a heavy flamer would be good. Point taken, thanks buddy ^_^ . Yet another change you have made me make. At this rate my army is gunna lay waste to a lot!

    No no no, you misunderstand me. I don't want the squad to be hunting tanks, I want them to be flying round in the safety of the immolator/camping safely behind the cover of the burned out wreckage of the immolator. I see what your saying about a pure squad being good in the right hands but I don't trust myself to be that good and also I wanted the squad as a "Shite! we are in trouble! Who is nearby who might be able to help?" Which makes it important for the squad to be helpful in most situations.

    Good idea with posting conversion! Do it, put a link to it on this thread, then I will sing your praises.

    Good point, noted and going to be used, it never occured to me.


    I see what you are saying and it's a very good point. If you get those immolator--->exercist notes on I will cut the rhino combat inquisitor and give the rhino to the inq lord to give him transport, would that help? Or, if your conversion is applicable to rhinos I will convert my rhino and perhaps get them a chimera for the extra 2 front armour! Once again I thankyou for following up with just as fine quality comments as before. And the rest of you!!!! (yes you!) Get commenting, whinging and whining; I mean COME ON PEOPLE!!! This is a forum! I have seen more whining and moaning on MMO forums! You should all be ashamed of yourselves! I want you all telling me what an idiot I am for not doing something and then why it is better than what I have done like WR has!

  11. #10
    Nightlord frozencore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Orthanus View Post
    Hmmm, if you speak from experience then I accept your point, however Grey Knights cannot go in this army list because the scum who run my club have outlawed allying armies except for inducted guard and inducted SM. If this weren't the case I would have demon-hosts and an inq with a psy-cannon so fast you wouldn't to have time to say "No! The heretics went the OTHER way!".
    You make it sound like they have a choice. They don't. It is in the book, so you get to do it. In fact it is an important part of the book. It's like saying that you think lascannons aren't s9, so they are only s7 when people play against you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orthanus View Post
    Sister repentia need to be given a 3+ save and be 6 points cheaper before I even look at them properly, I <3 assassins but do hate deathcult because they get gunned into 41k and only allowed one temple assassin. The CC inq is because a) model looks bad-ass, b) because I need some CC in there SOMEWHERE (its a common symptom amongst ex B.temp players) and c) I added to the models bad-assness by cutting the sword away around 1cm and having him stab a dying chaos marine. Oh, can you give entire battle sister squads evis? And I doubt zealots will be allowed in my gaming-club.
    Then don't have a melee unit, sisters are better without one anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orthanus View Post
    I do however take you point about fire power and so will deploy him again CC troops and use the hug cover tactic thanks to my most frequent opponants fetish for destroyed cities.

    for inq how much more shooty? Do you mean putting a flamer or two in there or putting some longer range weaponry in? Help me!

    Inq shooty was meant to camp in cover and kick the shite out of people with 3x 24" plasma shots and 2x24" str 4 AP4 shots. Also: tanks=expensive (though £18 immolators aint bad, hmmm......). Do you think that the squad will underperform if they occupy small pieces of cover or holding an objective and killing small detachments sent to claim it?
    You are missing what it means to be a shooty inquisitor. Take 3 heavy bolter servitors. Then put in a couple sages and chirurgeon, and you have a squad that fires like a dev squad, can reroll a shot, and can ignore wounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orthanus View Post
    Dunno about lots of flamers but I see what you on about and I think a heavy flamer would be good. Point taken, thanks buddy ^_^ . Yet another change you have made me make. At this rate my army is gunna lay waste to a lot!
    Flame template and Divine Guidance is true happiness.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orthanus View Post
    No no no, you misunderstand me. I don't want the squad to be hunting tanks, I want them to be flying round in the safety of the immolator/camping safely behind the cover of the burned out wreckage of the immolator. I see what your saying about a pure squad being good in the right hands but I don't trust myself to be that good and also I wanted the squad as a "Shite! we are in trouble! Who is nearby who might be able to help?" Which makes it important for the squad to be helpful in most situations.
    In 5th edition it is pretty much better to have a regular sister squad over a dominion squad. They score and their guns are cheaper. Don't take immolators, they are a joke. The 4 extra sisters you get do more damage than the immolator gun does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts