1500 catachan army list first time - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 catachan army list first time

First attempt at an army list so be gentle please. Any advice appreciated.

HQ Points

Senior Officer
    Bolt Pistol
    Power Fist
    Honorifica Imperialis
    Flamer
    Vox Caster
    Veteran
    Veteran
    Krak grenades x4
    Total 132 Pts

Troops

Platoon 1

HQ
    Junior Officer
    Bolt Pistol
    power Weapon
    Flamer
    Vox Caster
    Veteran
    Veteran
    Krak Grenades x4

Total 78 Pts

Squad 1
    9 guards + 1 Sergeant
    One heavy weapons crew Heavy bolter
    Vox Caster
    Flamer
    krak Grenades x9
    Total 99 Pts

Squad 2
    9 guards + 1 Sergeant
    One heavy weapons crew Las Cannon
    Vox Caster
    Flamer
    Krak Grenades x9
    Total 114 Pts

Squad 3
    9 Guards + 1 Sergent
    Voxcaster
    Krak grenades x9
    Total 83 Pts

Platoon 2
    HQ

Junior Officer
    Bolt Pistol
    power Weapon
    Flamer
    Vox Caster
    Veteran
    Veteran
    Krak Grenades x4
    Total 78 Pts

Conscript Infantry Platoon

30x Conscripts
    flamer
    Autocannon
    Autocannon
    Heavy Bolter
    Total 184Pts

Fast Attack

Sentinal Squadron 1
    Sentinal x2
    Flamer x2
    Total 80Pts

Sentianl Squadron 2
    Sentianl x2
    Flamer
    Lascannon
    Total 95Pts

Heavy Support

Basilisk
    Indirect Fire
    Hunter Killer Missile
    Pintle heavy Stubber
    Track Guards
    Total 157Pts

Total Points for army 1100Pts

Thanks adam

Last edited by streetsleeper; April 8th, 2009 at 16:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, and welcome to the Guard.

Now the first thing you need to do is slightly tweak your post to remove the point costs of individual items before an overzealous mod does it for you...for some reason they get antsy about it because they are deathly afraid of U.S.C. 17 for some reason or another.

For example:

SO + Bolt pistol, power fist,
    flame trooper
    vox trooper
    veteran
    veteran
    4x krak nades
    total = 107

Now for helping you out with your list...

Recommendations in Red:

Junior Officer -Bolt Pistol -Power Fist
    - powerfists are tricky in combat, mostly because you sequence last, however the three wounds via the Honorifica Imperalis should ensure that he lives long enough to kill something in close combat
    Honorifica Imperialis Typically people give this to JO's because it's the most cost effective option by a whopping five points, so I would change it to a JO
    Flamer
    Vox Caster
    Veteran - why are these guys veterans, I suspect that they have Close Combat Weapons and are veterans for an extra base assault, so I suspect that you are using your HQ to counter charge, I'd recommend makign one of these guys a Medic with a CCW as well.
    Veteran
    + Iron Discipline - In short iron discipline doctrine allows for squads within one foot range to attempt to regroup even if below 1/2 strength and is currently viewed as a necessity for an IG army.

Fire Support Squad 3x Autocannons(from the conscript heavy weapons)
    Total 200 Pts

Troops

Platoon 1
    HQ
    Junior Officer 40
    Bolt Pistol
    power Weapon
    Flamer
    Vox Caster
    Veteran consider turning this guy into a medic w CCW
    Veteran
    Krak Grenades x4
    + Iron Discipline
    Total 88 Pts

Squad 1
    9 guards + 1 Sergeant
    One heavy weapons crew Heavy bolter
    Vox Caster
    GL
    Total 89 Pts

it strikes me as odd that you have a squad decked out with assault weapons with a heavy support platform, if the squad wants to be 'assaulty' and move around a bit, the HB team will typically hardly be in place long enough to get off more then one round of shooting with the heavy bolter, consider dropping the HB or swapping the flamer for a plasmagun/GL and dropping the krak nades to make it a 'shooty' squad to support the other more mobile assault squads.

Squad 2
    9 guards + 1 Sergeant
    One heavy weapons crew Las Cannon 25
    Vox Caster
    GL
    Total 98 Pts

Same as above.

Squad 3
    9 Guards + 1 Sergent
    Voxcaster
    Flamer
    Krak grenades
    Total 89 Pts

Good assault based squad.

Platoon 2
    HQ

Junior Officer 40
    Bolt Pistol
    power Weapon
    Flamer
    Vox Caster
    Veteran + Medic
    Veteran
    Krak Grenades x4
    + Iron Discipline
    Total 88 Pts

Conscript Infantry Platoon

30x Conscripts 120
    3x flamer
    - You would need 5's to hit with these heavy weapons that were here due to the conscript ballistic skill, so I've moved these to a fire support team HQ attachment for greater effect.

+Commissar w bolt pistol/PW + Independent Commissar Doctrine
    Total 185Pts

I'd stick a Commissar with these guys as a ld10 safeguard, but I'm a bit old fashioned, you would need the Independent Commissar's doctrine in order to do this without attaching expensive commissars in all the HQ's beforehand.

Fast Attack

Sentinal Squadron 1
    Sentinal x3
    Flamer x3
    Total 120Pts

- the problem with squadrons is that among other things you have to shoot the same target, so shooting a lascannon at infantry is significant overkill.

Heavy Support

Basilisk 100
    Indirect Fire
    Total 125Pts

I'd drop the HK missile, the heavy stubber and the track guards, heres why...while the HK missile is nice for it's unlimited range, it's still a krak missile and chances are the opposing vehicle will get cover from it anywyas, so theres a 50% chance that it fails right there, I'd drop the stubber for the same reason, plus your cannon should be firing each turn and since it's ordinance shootign it means that you wont be able to fire any other weapons, unless you move and the basilisk which should be a pretty rare event...I'd drop the track guards because as it stands it's an open topped chimera chassis and is more likely to be outright destroyed, or weapon destroyed then immobilized.

Revised total = 1100

Base Doctrines: Conscripts, Independent Commissars, Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill (this is especially nice since it's free and the bonuses apply when your troops are in base to base rank formation much like fantasy, and it helps the conscripts greatly).

Tactics: use the HQ's attached autocannon fire support squad to hit heavy infantry/vehicles at long range and use troop squads 1 and 2 to advance for a turn and get into firing positions near objectives to support the assault troop squad and the conscripts.

Flank with the sentinels to try to wipe out the enemy's troops near a tableside objective with 3 flame templates, then assault with the sentinels, since it's probably inevitable, it avoids them being shot down as reprisals next turn, and they are semi-decent at CC...

Iron discipline should keep the squads on the table, keep the commissar in the second or third conscript rank so that he can get within the 2" pile in for assault attacks without being in actual base to base himself so that he doesn't get called out in close combat, I took the krak nades off of the HQ to spend the extra points for the Independent Commisar's Doctrine, plus I was able to give the conscripts the max amount of flamers (which is nice since they don't need to roll to hit with them)...but I haven't used conscripts in a while so tell me how that works out for you.

Also I find that doubling up on vehicles is always good because it provided redundancy and spreads out the incoming AT fire from focusing on just the single vehicle, so in theory they both will last a bit longer.
    Last edited by Tronics; April 8th, 2009 at 08:35.
    1st Enders Mechanized Division
    Enlist Today, Ave Imperator, Ave Endra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks very much for your help all has been noted.

Only slight problem i got all those models made up as on the list.

Got my first game tommorrow but seeing how that goes i will adjust as nee be, im looking forward to many imperial guard games at my local workshop so hopefully will learn in time.

thanks again for yyour help will post here how i got on.

adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

used the list as tronics said near enough and must say i won. Played against space marine army with Paddy from the store. was suprised my first game in a few years(10 or so)
    Was pleased witht the reslult but now know where to focus on my army close combat/TANKS

adam

+ Reply to Thread