New IG 1,500pts list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New IG 1,500pts list

Had myself a look at the new codex earlier this week and I have pretty much decided on what will be my template 1,500pts list.

HQ

Company Commander + Vox (cheap as chips, sit in cover, doesn't move, issues orders).

Commissar Lord + Power Fist (leads conscripts)

Troops

Platoon Commander + heavy flamer + 3 flamers + Chimera (heavy flamer & hull flamer)

Infantry Squad + Vet Sarge (shotgun) + Vox + Heavy Bolter + Grenade launcher + Chimera

Infantry Squad + Vet Sarge (shotgun) + Vox + Heavy Bolter + Grenade launcher + Chimera

Veteran Squad + Vet Sarge (bolter) + Vox + 3 Plasma Guns + Missile Launcher

Conscript Squad, 30 men

Fast Attack

Valkyrie + Las Cannon

Heavy Support

1st Squad, 2 Leman Russ' with Las Cannons

2nd Squad, 1 Leman Russ with 3 HB's

3rd Squad, 1 Leman Russ with 3 HB's

Works out at around 1,500pts.

Tactics pretty simple, the two LR's in 1st squad will sight and pound, the other two russ' are objective rush, backed by chimera squads to hold objectives. Platoon command acts as a mobile screen, valkries drops off the vets to hold objectives and then tank hunts. Conscripts, screen and tar pit.

I end up with a respectable 70 men, 4 MBT's, 3 infantry tanks, 1 gunship.

As I say this is the template I will use to expand to 1,750pts, 2,000pts and perhaps 3,000pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

So you're counting on a single lascannon on a Valkyrie and two on Leman Russes for all your anti-tank firepower? At 1500 points? No offense, but not a great plan. Some ideas and suggestions:

* At only 1 pt cheaper per model than regular guardsmen, I don't see the point of Conscripts. Weaker stat line, terrible leadership, no weapon options, etc. I think you'd be better off scrapping the unit for a pair of Guard squads with some decent weapons. This would also allow you to part with the Commissar Lord (who's no longer really necessary) and save more points.

* You might reconsider the weapons you've given your Infantry Squads. With 3 Chimeras and 4 Russes, you should have plenty of anti-infantry firepower. The general division of labor is to have infantry deal with tanks, and tanks deal with infantry. Going with autocannons instead of heavy bolters doesn't cost any extra points, and gives you greater range and the ability to tackle light vehicles as well as infantry. Heavy bolters can't do that. Honestly, at the same price cost, I don't see any reason to take heavy bolters in Infantry Squads whatsoever, anymore. You could stick with the grenade launchers to stay cheap, or upgrade to a few plasma guns to give yourself some Anti-MEQ ability in your infantry squads, and also additional shots at light vehicles with your autocannons.

* I'd definitely go with the Vendetta over the Valkyrie. Not much more expensive, and its a flat-out monster for hunting tanks. The Vendetta can still transport models, though its more of a sniper, maneuvering around for the best shot and taking advantage of its range. You might think of giving a Chimera to your Hardened Vets and leaving the Vendetta empty instead. Also related to tank hunting, perhaps consider swapping the plasma guns in your HV squad to meltaguns. Gives you some more ability to pop tanks reliably. With a Chimera they can perform a "drive-by" attack where three of them shoot out of the Chimera's top hatch. And your opponent would have to destroy the Chimera before they can kill your Veterans. You might even add a second squad of Hardened Vets if you ditch the Conscripts, as they're a very powerful scoring unit. You can either give them a Chimera also (distributing the transports to the best troops makes sense), or give them a heavy weapon they can really make use of, with their BS 4. A lascannon would be a good fit.

* Finally, there's the Russes. For one thing, I think you went a bit overboard. 4 Russes at 1500 points is a significant investment. I understand its meant to tax your opponent's anti-tank ability, but 3 Russes plus the Chimeras and Valk/Vendetta is already taxing enough. Your infantry count is comparatively low, and that's artificially boosted by a bunch of largely useless Conscripts. I'd drop one of the lascannon-equipped Russes and use the points elsewhere, probably more infantry and some extra toys. With the previous points you've already addressed anti-tank concerns substantially, so you don't really need to pay to upgrade to hull lascannons. Also, if you plan to advance on objectives with your two individual Russes, the sponson heavy bolters is rather wasteful. On the move you're only getting to fire the turret and 1 heavy bolter, so you never get to shoot the full arsenal except when you're not moving. The amount of points wasted on those sponsons is almost enough to buy another Infantry Squad, or you could give plasma cannon sponsons to your "fire support" Russ. That's a nasty, versatile tank in my opinion (battle cannon, hull heavy bolter, plasma cannon sponsons) that can hurt any unit out there.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Sokhar
    So you're counting on a single lascannon on a Valkyrie and two on Leman Russes for all your anti-tank firepower? At 1500 points?

I always run three las cannons at 1,500pts, I havenít found them lacking yet, in fact they tend to be the most effective investment I make. All Iím doing is taking them out of the command squads (I think the days of the fire support command squad are probably over in the new codex).

At only 1 pt cheaper per model than regular guardsmen, I don't see the point of Conscripts. Weaker stat line, terrible leadership, no weapon options, etc. I think you'd be better off scrapping the unit for a pair of Guard squads with some decent weapons. This would also allow you to part with the Commissar Lord (who's no longer really necessary) and save more points.

I plan to use this as well, but first I wanted to test out the conscripts in the new edition and see how viable they are. If they donít work Iíll ditch them.

Going with autocannons instead of heavy bolters doesn't cost any extra points, and gives you greater range and the ability to tackle light vehicles as well as infantry. Heavy bolters can't do that. Honestly, at the same price cost, I don't see any reason to take heavy bolters in Infantry Squads whatsoever, anymore.

There are two reasons I have done this. First Iím not a great fan of autocannons, I prefer the extra roll and, again, I find HBís to be effective. I usually force armour saves against Meq, autocannons are stronger but they are also more likely to miss, and the extra shot is worth while against swarms. Really it was a toss up between ML and HBís for my squads.

Second is fluff, these blokes are deployed in a Chimera, they are mobile and an autocannon isnít the sort of thing they would lug around, my HB mobile squads are modelled with SM scout HBís to emphasise that. I may well have to cut out a template if GW insists on HW squads mounted on one base but a piece of plasti-card will do.

You could stick with the grenade launchers to stay cheap, or upgrade to a few plasma guns to give yourself some Anti-MEQ ability in your infantry squads, and also additional shots at light vehicles with your autocannons.

Plasma guns are just too expensive now to spread around, thatís why I concentrated them in vet squads. They are also over kill for light armour troops and I want to try to balance.

I'd definitely go with the Vendetta over the Valkyrie. Not much more expensive, and its a flat-out monster for hunting tanks. The Vendetta can still transport models, though its more of a sniper, maneuvering around for the best shot and taking advantage of its range. You might think of giving a Chimera to your Hardened Vets and leaving the Vendetta empty instead. Also related to tank hunting, perhaps consider swapping the plasma guns in your HV squad to meltaguns. Gives you some more ability to pop tanks reliably. With a Chimera they can perform a "drive-by" attack where three of them shoot out of the Chimera's top hatch. And your opponent would have to destroy the Chimera before they can kill your Veterans. You might even add a second squad of Hardened Vets if you ditch the Conscripts, as they're a very powerful scoring unit. You can either give them a Chimera also (distributing the transports to the best troops makes sense), or give them a heavy weapon they can really make use of, with their BS 4. A lascannon would be a good fit.

Interesting idea.

Finally, there's the Russes. For one thing, I think you went a bit overboard. 4 Russes at 1500 points is a significant investment. I understand its meant to tax your opponent's anti-tank ability, but 3 Russes plus the Chimeras and Valk/Vendetta is already taxing enough. Your infantry count is comparatively low, and that's artificially boosted by a bunch of largely useless Conscripts. I'd drop one of the lascannon-equipped Russes and use the points elsewhere, probably more infantry and some extra toys.

No go there, I love my tanks.

Also, if you plan to advance on objectives with your two individual Russes, the sponson heavy bolters is rather wasteful. On the move you're only getting to fire the turret and 1 heavy bolter, so you never get to shoot the full arsenal except when you're not moving.

Thatís going to depend on how you use them. Moving out from turn one with the battle cannon, by turn two or three parked close enough to an objective to clear out with the HBís and cannon. I can see that causing a mess. Especially backed up with a Chimera.

The amount of points wasted on those sponsons is almost enough to buy another Infantry Squad, or you could give plasma cannon sponsons to your "fire support" Russ. That's a nasty, versatile tank in my opinion (battle cannon, hull heavy bolter, plasma cannon sponsons) that can hurt any unit out there.

True but itís a large investment to make, maybe at larger points levels Iíll bring the Executioner out to play, plasma cannon and plasma sponsons, but I didnít want to spend that much on a single tank at 1,500pts.

Thanks for the advice, you wonít change my mind on armour, but certainly the conscripts may well bare re-thinking.

+ Reply to Thread