My first ever space marine list, in dire need of c & c. 1500 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first ever space marine list, in dire need of c & c. 1500 points

Greetings fellow tabletop addicts! I have been thinking of cheating on my Eldar with marines for a while, and has hence thought up something that's meant to resemble a serious list. My biggest concern is that I keep overshooting my 1500 point limit. I could really use some help from all of you seasoned marines out there. Anyway, here goes nothing:

HQ
    Pedro Kantor - 175

Troops
    10 Tactical Marines
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer - 170

10 Tactical Marines
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer - 170

Scout squad (5 of 'em)
    Sniper rifles
    Sergeant Telion - 125

Elites

10x Sternguard Veterans
    3 combi - meltas
    Drop Pod - 300

5x Sterguard Veterans
    2x Lascannons - 155

Fast Attack
    10x Assault Marines
    Power Weapon & Melta Bombs - 210

10x Assault Marines

Total: 1515 (overshooting by 15 points...help please?)

For this list I simply picked some of my favourite units (Sternguard and Telion) and tried to make the most of them, while keeping to my theme (little to no vehicles, excluding the odd drop pod). I haven't a clue as to the viability of this list since, like the title indicates, I have not yet had the pleasure of playing marines. Any c & c is much appreciated. However, I would like to be able to keep both Telion and the Sternguard (at least some of them) since I L.O.V.E the models, their fluff and their rules! If upgrading the list to 1750 would make any difference in ease of changing things around, by all means do (I am planning to, eventually, turn this list into 1750 anyway)!

With Regards
    Hamsterball

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Instead of the lascannons in the sternguard unit take em in a devastator squad (and keep them wonderful rounds )

You have more than enough assault marines, do you want a cc list? if so, take some rhinos or drop pods for your tacticals or sternguards

I would take one ten man assault squad and split it into combat squads and get a whirlwind (not my personal favourite), predator (annihalator) or vindicator.

hope I helped!!
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Fine list, but'd let Sternguard go on foot and take a Dred in this Drop instead of scouts... and you get 20 points so you're 1495.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Hmmm...

If I were you I'd drop the second lascannon sternguard squad. these points could be used to add a dread in a drop pod to your force.

I can see why you feel strapped for points though, it's hard to see exactly what to take out of your list.

This is just how I'd run this list, although your plan wil probobly be something along the lines of this.
    Anyhow land the dread pod first turn, on one of the enemy flanks, then the other pod can drop down beside it to give the sternguard cover. The assault marines can then advance up this flank and assist the other squads. Then you just roll up the flank with your firebase taking pot shots.

When the sternguard pod lands make sure that Kantor is in it, and combat squad them. 3 combimeltas in 1 squad, kantor in the other.

Good Luck
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so...heeding some of the advice given above, I've made some changes to the list. Even though it hurts i've dropped the las sternguard and included a Dread in a drop pod (dream of infantry only going out the window). New list looks as follows:

HQ
    Pedro Kantor - 175

Troops
    10 Tactical Marines
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer - 170

10 Tactical Marines
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer - 170

Scout squad (5 of 'em)
    Sniper rifles
    Sergeant Telion - 125

Elites

10x Sternguard Veterans
    3 combi - meltas
    Drop Pod - 300

Dreadnought
    Drop Pod - 140

Fast Attack
    10x Assault Marines

10x Assault Marines

Total: 1500

With Regards
    Hamsterball
    Last edited by Hamsterball; April 10th, 2009 at 02:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a slight revision of the former list after browsing both the internet and my inner self. I've figured out that I in fact do want tanks in my army, so please completely disregard the "infantry only" statement above. I've also binned Telion, simply because regular scouts aren't exactly my favourite units, as well as upped the list to 1750 pts. Here goes:
    Hq

Pedro Kantor – 175

Troops
    Tactical squad
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer
    Rhino APC – 205

Tactical squad
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer
    Rhino APC – 205

Tactical Squad
    Missile Launcher
    Flamer - 170

Elites
    Dreadnought
    Multi-Melta
    Drop pod w/ locator beacon – 150

Sterguard Veteran squad
    3x Combi – Meltas
    Drop Pod – 300

Fast Attack
    Assault Marine Squad
    Power Weapon
    Melta Bombs – 210

Heavy Support
    Vindicator w/ siege shield - 125

Vindicator w/ siege shield - 125

Whirlwind - 85

Total: 1750

The idea is that the whirlwind and footslogging tacticals hang back on an objective, Whirlwind harrassing the enemy whilst being protected by said squad. the rest of the army is supposed to, well, face the enemy head on The only thing I don't like about this list is that it's supposed to be a crimson fists detachment, and hence I'd like some more Sternguard. However, since I'm at the same time opting for a balanced all-comers list and sterguard are a huge point-sink, I'm not sure what to do about it. any c & c is appreciated!

With Regards
    Hamsterball
    Last edited by Hamsterball; April 10th, 2009 at 21:28.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

That second list is really solid. There's not much I would change at all. I would say the Meltabombs on the Assault Squad probably won't be too useful, but I can't think of anything it'd be worth replacing them with.

I think this army will do very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why thank you! I guess it's just a matter of getting the models then. I'll get around to it, eventually (hmm...think a buddy of mine might have some unused Black Reach Marines...). Seeing as how I don't even own a single space marine mini yet, purchasing the entire list at once might be a bit too much for my not so heavy wallet Anyway, thank you everyone and by all means, keep them comments coming!

With Regards
    Hamsterball

+ Reply to Thread