Captain Al'rahem 1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Captain Al'rahem 1500

OK, weekend away has meant little painting but plenty of list planning. What does this look like? Any good? Serious mistakes? If I could just get a little help I'd be very happy, thanks.

Company Commander with Power Weapon
    Medic, Vox, Mortar Team & Master of Ordnance - 130

Company Commander with Power Weapon
    Vox, Mortar Team, Grenade Launcher & Astropath - 105

Blue Platoon
    Platoon Command with Vox & Mortar Team - 40
    Infantry Squad 1 & 2 with Vox, 2 Autocannons & 2 Grenade Launchers - 135
    Infantry Squad 3 & 4 with Vox, 2 Missile Launchers & 2 Grenade Launchers - 145
    Heavy Weapon Squad with 3 Lascannon Teams - 105

Red Platoon
    Platoon Comand with Captain Al’rahem, Medic, Meltagun & 2 Flamers - 145
    Infantry Squad 1 with Vox & Grenade Launcher - 60
    Infantry Squad 2 with Vox & Grenade Launcher - 60
    Heavy Weapon Squad with 3 Missile Launcher Teams - 90

5 Rough Riders with Power Weapon & Meltagun - 75

5 Rough Riders with Power Weapon & Meltagun - 75

Mechanicus Vetrans - Grenadiers
    3 Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistol & Power Fist - 170

Leman Russ with Extra Armour - 160

Total 1500 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Medics < Chimeras as protection for a unit. Commanders don't need power weapons.

Voxes are expensive and really not all that useful. Autocannon > Missile Launcher. Lascannons HWS are a huge target and will go down quickly enough.

If you want to run Al'Rahem, use him in conjunction with mounted infantry. Roll up 3-4 Chimeras on somebody's flank for lulz.

Rough Riders suck.

Vets with meltas need a transport, pick up another unit too.

Single Russ will draw lots of fire and die.

Needs more armor, more anti-tank, and some focusing on Al'Rahem's unit.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thanks for the response =Me=, I'll go through your points with the questions that they've left me.
    One thing I should point out though is that although very little of this force is built I do own it from a prior attempt at Guard. This means that I can play with weapon loadouts and where the units fit but I can't go adding tanks for now. Sorry (for you and me, they will come with a later cash injection).

OK, are medics worth it when you own no Chimeras?, one for the Mastr of Ordnance suqad and on for Al'rhem's.

Should I go all the way with Autocannons rather than a couple of ML's? The ML Heavy Weapon squad of Al'rhem's was to give some flexible antitank to the flanking unit, good idea?

Should I drop the Heavy Weapon Squad altogether and take a Vendetta (that I have bought ).

Again no Chimeras for Al'rhem to turn up in so I suppose foot will have to do there, should I take one of the four Infantry Squads from the first platoon and add in to Al'rhem's?

The Vets have plasma not melta weapons so I thought to use them as a bulwark on my line not an objective taker.

I agree on the Russ problem and that is a new model coming before the Chimeras even, for now would I be better off dropping the one I have for something(s) less conspicous?

Finally you may notice I skipped the Rough Riders point, this is because I love my WIP models so! (They have bikes)

I hope my points all made snese and again thanks for the any and all help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

No Chimeras eh? Well that certainly makes things more interesting

If you're going to outflank, then I suppose the medic is needed to keep your command units alive. You can run up a couple infantry squads with autocannon and grenade launcher, basically set up a new firing line on the side of the board. Regular infantry can't put out good firepower on the move, and SWS are easy to take out, which is why Al'Rahem never features in ==My== army (besides the problems with outflank as is).

No Chimeras means your Vets will need a way to get close to tanks, Vendettas and Valks are good for this. Missile Launchers can't bust heavier tanks very well, meltas do that better, and autocannons bust up lighter tanks better. They're a compromise weapon in an army that can afford to specialize since they have so many.

The single Russ is going to draw a ton of fire, especially if it's your only vehicle. If you can't get more tanks, just drop it for more outflanking Vets riding in Valks.

Rough Riders are unimpressive, they don't hit very hard and are only good for one round of combat. If you have a cool conversion go ahead and use them, but outflanking Sentinels and Valks would support your army a lot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I'd re-written the list before your last post and haven't had time to do it again with your new advice but here is (I hope) a step in the right direction. Please excuse the names I think it should still be quite clear what is what.

Kernow 55th
    Aldarn Desert Campaign

Colonel Bude Poldragon with Power Weapon
    Medic, Vox &Mortar Team.
    Accompanied by Major John Newq Master of Ordnance

Major Garrick Mine
    Vox, Mortar Team & Grenade Launcher.
    Accompanied by Sal, Battle Group Astropath

Blue Platoon
    Blue 0 – Lieutenant Trelawney, Vox & Mortar Team
    Blue 1 & 2 - Vox, 2 Auto cannons & 2 Grenade Launchers
    Blue 3 - Vox, Missile Launcher & Grenade Launcher
    Blue H1 - 3 Lascannon Teams

Red Platoon
    Red 0 - Captain Drake Penswith (Al’Rahem), Medic, Vox & 2 Flamers
    Red 1 - Vox & Grenade Launcher
    Red 2 - Vox & Grenade Launcher
    Red 3 – Vox, Auto cannon & Grenade Launcher
    Red H1 - 3 Missile Launcher Teams

6 Rough Riders with Power Weapon & Meltagun

Mechanicus Veterans - Grenadiers
    3 Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistol & Power Fist

Cydonian Knight (Leman Russ with Dozer Blades & Extra Armour)

70 Points to spend on either Sly Marbo and Melta Bombs for Major Garrick or a Chimera with Extra Armour for Colonel Bude.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

The Master of Ordnance is named Newq? Hehe, who'd've thunk it XD Nice!

I became a fan of Al'Rahem the moment I saw his profile. I've got a (very) small IG force that I've used as DH allies.. two times.. and so it shall remain (very) small. I'm very adamant about not being one of those.. folk.. who drop a couple large bills just because a new Dex was released. But I do feel compelled to add a little bit of Al'Rahem to the battle box.

I've also become a fan of Sgt. Harker, and the two look like they'd work nicely together, along with a squadron of outflanking camo-netted, multi-las Sentinels. IMHO, 3+ Obscurement save makes my KFF Mek jealous!

As well (surprise!) I've also always been a fan of how Rough Riders looked on paper. I've never seen them on the table, though, and perhaps there's a reason for that. Mayhaps ==Me== is right, and if he is I would urge you to support your outflankers with Sentinels instead. Granted, budgets are budgets, but it's something to think about as you're planning your later purchases.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Rough Riders suck.

If it comes to roster, why are you taking Voxes on your Company Commands?
    And I'd get another MoO, pair is even more deadly with those mortars.

Lieutenant Trelawney... why not medic Trelawney... doctor Trelawney? The name is accident or what?
    Apart from that, I think there are much more killy Command Squad builds than... mortar. You could get 4 Snipers for stationary unit or some G. Launchers for mobile unit or something else.

Your Outflanking platoon just doesn't have enough power to do any serious harm after outflank. And those Guard units that fail to do harm die quickly. Especially if they get nearer their enemy (ouflank). And have you though about full-mehcanised outflanking unit?

Not only Heavy Weapon Squads suck totally only because they're too easy to kill, but also if they outflank they loose 2+ turn of firing. Not good deal, even in exchange of better firing position.

Vets seriously need transport. Such expensive, short-ranged and pwoerful (and not very tough) unit will attract a lot of small-arms fire (and maybe a Predator's attension).

They strengh of guard lies in concentration. So many, that enemy has no means to kill them all. It's either infantry or vehicles. Single tank will just magnetise all meltas on table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Dire pretty much covered what I was going to say. Outflanking with static squads is a bit meh. It can work if you have your HWS and heavy weapon units set up behind 2 mobile or naked units. They'll take any charges or casualties so your main units can fire next turn unimpeded.

I don't think 2 CCS are necessary, especially if you only have half an army for them to command.

Vets on foot will get killed fairly quickly, Harker or a Valkyrie would be handy.

Something like:

CCS w/ MoO Astropath, mortar, Regimental Standard, camo cloaks (150)

2x Platoon Command-mortar (35)
    6x Infantry Squads-autocannon, GL (65)

Platoon Command-Al'Rahem, 2 GL, medic (140)
    3x Infantry Squads-autocannon and GL (65)
    HWS-autocannons (75)

2x Vets-3 meltas (200)

2 Vendettas w/ heavy bolters (280)

That's a lot of bodies starting on the board, not much you can do against tanks but since you've got an Astropath the Vets should drop in turn 2 or 3 and between them and their rides they can nuke 4 big tanks. Al'Rahem's boys come in and set up a firing line, one unit sacrificed so the others can keep shooting.

Hordes will give you problems since you can't field any good ordnance (single Russ is begging to get popped), but mixing in heavy bolters, mortars, and missile launchers would probably help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips and comments, I'll be back to discuss them more soon.
    I'm in a bit of a rush now but just wanted to add that the names are all based on Cornish locations and name types. Cornwall being England most South West county and where I grew up. In Cornish the county is not called Cornwall it is Kernow and has a Black flag with a White cross on it in the same style as St. Georges, this will be the army badge.

+ Reply to Thread