First Guard List 1250 pt Tourney - Please review - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Guard List 1250 pt Tourney - Please review

This is my first guard list, each platoon command will take care of orders to each 2 squads of infantry. There will be 4 total squads of infantry merged together into 2 20 man squads, each with a Commisar and 2 plasma guns plus vox.

The infantry and command squads footslog along side tanks with support from HW teams. One platoon command stays with HW teams to hold objectives and provide orders. Company command w/Straken marches along with infantry squads.

HQ -
    Company Command
    Straken
    Medi-pack
    Regimental Standards
    Vox Caster
    Officer of the Fleet

Troops
    Platoon Command
    Commisar
    Power Weapon
    Medi-pack
    Vox Caster
    2 x Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad
    Commisar
    Power Weapon
    Vox
    Plasma Gun

Infantry Squad
    Plasma Gun

Heavy Weapons Team
    3 x Lascannon

Platoon Command
    Commisar
    Power Weapon
    Vox
    3 x Grenade Launchers

Infantry Squad
    Commisar
    Power Weapon
    Vox
    Plasma Gun

Infantry Squad
    Plasma Gun

Heavy Support

Leaman Russ BT
    Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Leaman Russ BT
    Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Total 1245

Last edited by Makoto001; May 5th, 2009 at 04:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just finished reviewing a 2000 point list when it said it wont submit my post and i lost all the work, i'm rather tired now so i'll keep it brief.

Overview
    -master of ordnance might be more handy
    - if your gonna cough up the points for straken, keep him close to other squads
    - drop the autocannons fo lascannons
    - your command squads should never be close enough to the enemy to use flamers, maybe take grenade launchers(which are versatile)
    - more often than not, the points used up for voxs are better spent else were
    - your strategy is moot if those commissars execute you officers, keep them with infantry squads
    - plasma pistols are GENERALLY a waste, bolt pistols work just fine for those 1 wound commies
    - another infantry squad or veteran squad wouldnt hurt
    - nor would a heavy weapons team with heavy bolters

its all i can think of right now mate, terribly sorry about that... i dont know why but something seems missing ffrom the list. eh whatever, still looks good though
    ~cheers!
    "In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king"
    "Pray to the emperor, but keep rowing to the shore!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Why is Straken in there? He isn't going to win assaults on his own and you don't have anything that will really benefit from his abilities (ooh, S3 attacks!). A normal CCS in a Chimera works fine. If you're sitting still, MoO is handy.

Platoon Commands are super fragile, making them cost 120 points isn't too handy. It's just 6 models. Throw them in a Chimera and provide orders with 2 flamers in tow to counter attack any assaulters.

Why no heavy weapons in the infantry squads? Autocannons are dirt cheap. Commissars aren't going to be winning any combats either.

HWS is bait, too expensive and easily nuked.

Russes look good.

You don't have much anti-tank besides 1 unit of 3 T3 models. Stick lascannons or autocannons in your infantry squads and grab something to hurt tanks. A lascannon tickles Land Raiders, anything melta or a Vanquisher with Pask will help a lot.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Why is Straken in there? He isn't going to win assaults on his own and you don't have anything that will really benefit from his abilities (ooh, S3 attacks!). A normal CCS in a Chimera works fine. If you're sitting still, MoO is handy.
    Straken is in there to make this an IG WAAAGH army, Straken will give everything within a foot of him furious charge and counter attack, which makes Straken himself a Str 7 Init 4 badass, oh and he goes in init order with his awesome robo-hand of death.

Platoon Commands are super fragile, making them cost 120 points isn't too handy. It's just 6 models. Throw them in a Chimera and provide orders with 2 flamers in tow to counter attack any assaulters.
    They are the way they are to be a massive assaulty base for a 25 man ganksquad since he says he will merge the squads together, the standard IG are nothing but modified str 4 init 4 meatshields for the guys that matter, the modified str 4 powerweapon wielders...if he can get the furious charge off into CC after maybe a round of deadly plasma death shooting, which brings me to a later point.

Why no heavy weapons in the infantry squads? Autocannons are dirt cheap. Commissars aren't going to be winning any combats either.
    See above I bet they are speced out to be all assault based.

HWS is bait, too expensive and easily nuked.
    Who cares, are you going to attempt to shoot at a lascannon team from 4 feet away, that will in all probability get cover anyways, or tha massive horde of approaching guardsmen that look like mini orks....with powerweapons.?

You don't have much anti-tank besides 1 unit of 3 T3 models. Stick lascannons or autocannons in your infantry squads and grab something to hurt tanks. A lascannon tickles Land Raiders, anything melta or a Vanquisher with Pask will help a lot.
    Uh....everything in the army is t3 except Yarrick, Straken and Ogryns...and he intends to assault his enemies with Straken's nasty abilities, plus Straken is a walking autocannon with extra armor pen vs vehicles anyways.

Why not trade out some plasma guns for flamers for two squads and attempt to Ork it up a bit...

I'd say ork it up and give people something they really don't expect...Straken's WAAGH...
    Last edited by Tronics; May 5th, 2009 at 14:05.
    1st Enders Mechanized Division
    Enlist Today, Ave Imperator, Ave Endra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tronics View Post
    Straken is in there to make this an IG WAAAGH army, Straken will give everything within a foot of him furious charge and counter attack, which makes Straken himself a Str 7 Init 4 badass, oh and he goes in init order with his awesome robo-hand of death.
    Straken is a beat stick, but Guardsmen aren't going to be winning combats and he's only 1 guy. Kill off his 1 wound flunkies and he's taking No Retreat wounds real quick. Leave the Waaagh-ing to the Orks.

They are the way they are to be a massive assaulty base for a 25 man ganksquad since he says he will merge the squads together, the standard IG are nothing but modified str 4 init 4 meatshields for the guys that matter, the modified str 4 powerweapon wielders...if he can get the furious charge off into CC after maybe a round of deadly plasma death shooting, which brings me to a later point.
    The Command Squad doesn't merge with the grunts. You can't shoot plasma guns then charge.

See above I bet they are speced out to be all assault based.
    Which is a bad idea.

Who cares, are you going to attempt to shoot at a lascannon team from 4 feet away, that will in all probability get cover anyways, or tha massive horde of approaching guardsmen that look like mini orks....with powerweapons.?
    It's 3 models, not very hard to kill. Once they go down, heavy tanks are all but immune to his army. They can roll up in a Land Raider and simply tank shock you all over the board, or bring in real assault troops and wipe your grunts out. Guard can outfight Tau, but a real assault unit is going to munch them.

Uh....everything in the army is t3 except Yarrick, Straken and Ogryns...and he intends to assault his enemies with Straken's nasty abilities, plus Straken is a walking autocannon with extra armor pen vs vehicles anyways.

Why not trade out some plasma guns for flamers for two squads and attempt to Ork it up a bit...

I'd say ork it up and give people something they really don't expect...Straken's WAAGH...
    Everything is T3, but HWS are extra vulnerable because they don't have any ablative wounds. Straken has to reach a vehicle to hurt it, autocannons have a 48" range.

People don't expect it because it sucks. If you want to play Orks, play Orks (of course, the footslogging horde has problems all its own, mech again), but don't run a poor knock off and expect much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you suggest? I want to work with 2 battleforces and 2 leman russ battle tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

No Chimeras? That's a shame.

Hrm, something like...

CCS-mortar, MoO, MotF, Regimental Standard, camo cloaks
    Platoon Command-mortar
    2x Infantry-autocannon, grenade launcher
    2x camo Vets-lascannon, 3 grenade launchers
    2x Armored Sentinels with plasma cannons
    2x LRBTs with heavy bolters

Adds up to 1075. Not bad, but a few more infantry squads would be handy. Maybe infiltrate the Vets with Harker and a demolitions squad to go after tanks, or a Valkyrie insertion.

If you had Chimeras, then something like this is what I'd use.

CCS-mortar, MoO, Regimental Standard, Chimera
    Platoon Command-flamer, Chimera
    2x Infantry-autocannon, grenade
    HWS-3 autocannons
    2x Vets-3 meltas, Chimera
    2x Armored Sentinels with plasma cannons
    2x LRBTs with heavy bolters

1250 on the nose.

+ Reply to Thread