2000pts Grey Knights & Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

2000pts Grey Knights & Guard

Here's my stab at a 2000 list. This time, however, I'm using DH as the parent list.

HQ
    GKGM - Psychic Hood - 165

Elite
    Inquisitor - 2 Mystics, Sage, Psycannon, Emperor's Tarot - 87

TROOPS
    7x PAGK's - Meltabombs - 205
    7x PAGK's - Meltabombs - 205 (GM goes here)
    Platoon Command Squad - 2x Meltagun, Chimera - 105
    Infantry Squad - 1x Meltagun, Chimera - 115
    Platoon Command Squad - 2x Meltagun, Chimera - 105
    Infantry Squad - 1x Lascannon - 70

HEAVY
    Leman Russ Battle Tank - Heavy Bolter, 2x Plasma Cannon sponsoons - 190
    GKLR - Dozer, EA - 260
    GKLR - Dozer, EA - 260

TOTAL - 1997

That's 5 lascannons (4 TL), 8 Heavy Bolters (2 TL), 5 Multi-lasers, 2 plasma cannons, and 1 ordnance shot,
    8 scoring units,
    16 KP's,
    and mechanized.

My plan would be to hang back and shoot until I need to go after objectives. The Inq and 1 squad of infantry will hang back for fire support. I would say it is still very much a water-warrior-ish type of list.

Edit -- Revised my list because of 1 small mistake.

Edit II -- Corrected mistake w/infantry squads, added back GKGM, buffed up Inq unit, removed 1 chimera

Last edited by jy2; May 11th, 2009 at 19:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Looks good; I'd drop the meltagun from the command squad though, just to get it in under the points limit. Two LRs and a plasma-cannon Russ in the same list would be nasty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont like the idea of Lascannon and Meltagun in the same unit. Mainly because the one is a heavy and the other an assault weapon that fires at 12 inches. I mean it means u have to move to get close but then the lascannon doesnt fire or you stay back to fire your lascannon but then the melta never reaches...

Other than that, I would perhaps drop 1 of the 3 squads and add an IST unit (just 5 with 2 plasmaguns) in a rhino. Same points approximately.

Other than that I dont see why you want a GM and not a BC? And you could also add a psycannon to the inquisitor... he stays back somewhere and fires 36 inch hitting shots!

Overall nice list though... mechanised is the way to go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Dont you need to take 2 infantry platoons before you can take a LRBT?

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

He's right; you need two IPs for the Russ to be legal :-o

Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post
    I dont like the idea of Lascannon and Meltagun in the same unit. Mainly because the one is a heavy and the other an assault weapon that fires at 12 inches. I mean it means u have to move to get close but then the lascannon doesnt fire or you stay back to fire your lascannon but then the melta never reaches...
    Or alternatively, you ride around in the Chimera occasionally stopping to fire the lascannon and shooting the meltagun whenever anything is close enough.

Other than that I dont see why you want a GM and not a BC?
    Because a GM is awesome

EDIT: I can see your point; I don't think the GM will last long without his retinue and people will certainly be gunning for him. A BC might do you better, plus it's be more points to put towards the 2nd IP.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Doh!

Ok...modified my list to make it legal. Had to drop the GM and lascannons as well as a few knights to keep it under cost. Too bad, cuz I love the GM's NFW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously why so many Meltaguns? Isnt plasma an option anymore? Also since this is I suppose an all-comers lists and you have that option of 6 squads with special weapons I would go with 2 squads with plasma, 3 squads with melta (since u seem to like em so much) and at least one squad with flamers! Just in case a bunch of hordy type people show up!

Other than that I like it.

As for GM...

I never liked the guy I am afraid... costs 145 for 3 Wounds... yes not bad... but no Adamantite Mantle and no Eternal warrior means a lucky blow and he is down. Not to mention that post new SM codex he doesnt even hit on 3s with most of the Indipendent CC characters with their WS 5 or even Worse (and not at all rare) 6!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post
    I never liked the guy I am afraid... costs 145 for 3 Wounds... yes not bad... but no Adamantite Mantle and no Eternal warrior means a lucky blow and he is down.
    Same goes for whoever he's fighting; S6, I5 force weapon that insta-kills, not "inflicts Instant Death", kills outright, if he passes his psychic test thanks to the Codex creepin' goodness. I've been playing on and off since 3rd ed and I think I've seen maybe five failed psychic tests (though admittedly one of those was me failing to get the GM's force weapon to go off >_<). He might only be hitting Calgar on 4s, but if he gets a wound in (which he likely will, needing only a 2+ with 4 attacks) Calgar's as good as dead. Then of course you've got the retinue which means, unlike every named character in the SM Codex, he can never be singled out in close combat; it's like a hidden powerfist, only it strikes at I5 and it's hidden in a unit of S6 power weapons >_<

But yeah, without the retinue he's extremely vulnerable and thus is a bit of a risk.

Plasma might well be an option, but it doesn't get 2D6 armour pen within 6" and thus isn't the best option for mounting in a vehicle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

jy2, I dig all the Chimeras. That's enough to make me sweat already.

Guardsmen in Infantry Squads aren't able to take 2 Meltaguns; just 1 special and 1 heavy weapon.

I would drop both units of GK down to 6 models each, however, and pay for the upgrade to Grand Master. As your list is now, there are no powerhouse characters that will enable you to win combats decisively.. meaning that in protracted fights, you may find yourself losing men too fast.

My only other qualm is your Inquisitor; he looks to me like an easy Kill Point. You could save points and gain survivability by just dropping the Mystics and tossing him in one of the Platoon Command Chimeras.

Let us know how it works out! Good luck!
    Last edited by TwoHats; May 11th, 2009 at 18:34.
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHats View Post
    Guardsmen in Infantry Squads aren't able to take 2 Meltaguns; just 1 special and 1 heavy weapon.
    Darn, I'm too used to veteran guardsmen being able to take up to 3x special weapons, or storm troopers being able to take 2x special weapons. Ok...changing it.
    I would drop both units of GK down to 6 models each, however, and pay for the upgrade to Grand Master. As your list is now, there are no powerhouse characters that will enable you to win combats decisively.. meaning that in protracted fights, you may find yourself losing men too fast.
    I would very much like to keep my GM. At the same time, 6 PAGK's each seems too little. Hmmm...I shall ponder that one.
    My only other qualm is your Inquisitor; he looks to me like an easy Kill Point. You could save points and gain survivability by just dropping the Mystics and tossing him in one of the Platoon Command Chimeras.
    Yeah...I know. It's one of the risks I'm willing to put up with to defend against deepstriking armies. Hmmm...let's see if I can scrounge up enough points to at least give him a psycannon (and maybe sage).
    Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant
    Seriously why so many Meltaguns? Isnt plasma an option anymore? Also since this is I suppose an all-comers lists and you have that option of 6 squads with special weapons I would go with 2 squads with plasma, 3 squads with melta (since u seem to like em so much) and at least one squad with flamers! Just in case a bunch of hordy type people show up!
    I'm normally a plasma-kinda-guy, but the plasmas for the new guardsmen are just too expensive. And on a dude with 5+, I'd probably be having a lot of guys with plasma-burns. As for anti-horde, remember that I'm on vehicle with 3 HB shots, 3 Multilaser shots, and 5 fire points (plus, I could also upgrade it with 3 Heavy Stubber shots also).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast