500 points...OF DOOM! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 points...OF DOOM!

Hey guys,

I put together a starting point for a balanced IG army and was hoping to get some critiques of it.

HQ
    Company Command Squad 135pts

Master of Ordnance, Chimera (Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer).

Troops
    Infantry Platoon I 175pts.
    Platoon Command Squad: Sniper Rifle, Autocannon. 45pts
    Infantry Squad A: Grenade Launcher, Autocannon. 65pts.
    Infantry Squad B: Grenade Launcher, Autocannon. 65pts.

Infantry Platoon II 175pts.
    Platoon Command Squad: Sniper Rifle, Autocannon. 45pts

485pts
    For the last 15 points I was thinking about giving the CCS a regimental standard, or maybe a plasmagun in order to put some more hurt on MEQs. Which do you guys think is better? and... Why?

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me like you've got a pretty solid infantry list there, but there are a few concerns I have:
    BS3 sniper rifles do not appear as if they would be terribly effective.
    Multi-laser chimeras are generally considered the best version.
    A Melta-gun or two might be helpful, as they can wound or damage just about anything they hit.

Just my two cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a starting point towards a larger army I like it, it looks reasonably solid for a 500 pt list and the cheap squads will remain efficient as your army grows.

I'd consider replacing the command squad autocannons with lascannons, they have little in the way of anti infantry potential so you aren't wasting anything by shooting at tanks with them all game. They will help against monstrous creatures too, your command squad can use the BiD! order on them every turn.

You will want to add some mobility to your army eventually, so I'd pick up a few more Chimeras and load them with Veteran squads once you enlarge the army.
    Last edited by muukip; May 10th, 2009 at 21:48.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I love the heavy flamer turret, heavy bolter hull chimera if an aggressive unit is placed inside. Your command squad isn't a very aggressive unit though so I'd go with awesome's advice and use the multi-laser chimera.

If you want to make your command squad aggressive, I'd drop one of the sniper rifles in the platoon commands and give the command squads 2 meltas. It's only 5 more points than the plasmagun and has the same amount of shots at short range and is infinitely better at taking out armor. Then again if you do this then the master of ordnance won't get too many shots off, but there's a good chance that even one shot will earn his points back.

If you would prefer to command from the back I'd give the chimera to one of your platoon commands and outfit them with meltas or flamers that way you have a mobile scoring unit to take objectives. You could give the command squad a lascannon then as muukip suggested.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for the advice guys! I updated the list here and this is what I've come up with so far...

HQ
    Company Command Squad 155pts
    2XMeltaguns, Master of Ordnance, Chimera (Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer).

Troops
    Infantry Platoon I 170pts.
    Platoon Command Squad: Autocannon. 45pts
    Infantry Platoon II 170pts.
    Platoon Command Squad: Autocannon. 40pts
    495pts
    I really like the meltas and I plan on expanding into some veteran squads with maxed meltas and chimeras in conjuction with a hard hitting aggressive CCS in larger points games. The point with the sniper rifles is a good one, I was thinking about adding a flamer to one of the PCS so that its just one more weapon that wont have to rely on their BS to hit to round out the last 5 points of the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Sorry, but placing meltas in chimera AND MoO is rather crappy.

Apart from that seems very solid, though I'd either get some Penals to outflank or rather exchange two units and command Chimera & Meltas in favour of getting turbo vets for moving into position near objective.

Oh, and it's solid, but far from competetiveness. Sv 2+ and all monstrouses are invicible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can definitely see how the MoO is at a huge disadvantage being in an aggressive CCS. I was thinking of remedying that problem by taking him out and replacing him with another melta for the CCS and I could instead ditch the autocannons on the PCS and give both of them a lascannon and end up with 5 points left to spare (Much like muukip said). Boom goes the tank/MC/small little creatures that get in the way!

The only problem I see with your advice on the 2+'s and MC's is that its a 500 point game so if my opponent brings that sort of stuff they will be extremely limited in the amount of models that they will be able to bring, plus I could always just ignore a MC, espeically in a small game like this and just blast the few troops he will be able to bring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand, at such a small points level the chance of a MOO hitting anything is rather slim since there's not much on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true, which is why I guess Mr. MoO will be signing up in a bigger points category

+ Reply to Thread