2000 Light Armor Reconaissance Battalion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

2000 Light Armor Reconaissance Battalion

This is the first army list that I am posting ever since the release of the new codex. The force is made so stay very mobile, ahve a lot of flanking power and at the same time dish out a respectable amount of fire on the move.

HQ is deplyed behind the gunline where it can issue order to the platoon 1 squads. Platoon 1 forms the main gunline. Both platoon HQs stay with platoon 1 and do the order issueing. Platoon 2 armored fist squads along with the bane wolf move up along one of the flanks and attempt to overwhelm the enemy infantry. The veteran squad has a specific anti armor/MEQ role, they start mounted up in a valk and on the first turn the valk takes them to the most strategicaly important patch of cover with a good LOS to the enemy. Even if the valk gets destroyed right afterwards, as long as the veteran squad is in position - it has done its job. Storm troopers have a similar role, but they will advance along with the armored fist units and the bane wolf. Vendetta is a strict tank hunter.

Marbo is there for a damn good reason and I am sure I dont have to explain why, master of ordnance has a similar role. Officer of fleet is helps make sure that the enemy reserves dont come on board too soon.

HQ
    Ground Commander – Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
    *Veteran – Vox
    *Veteran – Medication Pack
    *Veteran Heavy Weapon Team – Heavy Bolter
    *Officer of the Fleet
    *Officer of Ordnance
    Chimera APC - Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Discharger

ELITES
    Guardsman Marbo – Ripper Pistol, Envenomed Blade, Demolition Charge, Frag Grenades, Melta Bombs

9 Storm Troopers – 2 Meltaguns
    *Sergeant – Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
    Valkyrie - Multiple Rocket Pods, Door Gunners, Extra Armor, Searchlight

TROOP

1st Platoon
    Platoon Commander – Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon
    *2 Guardsman – Vox
    *Heavy Weapon Team – Heavy Bolter

10 Guardsmen – Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher, Vox

2nd Platoon
    Platoon Commander – Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon
    *2 Guardsman – Vox
    *Heavy Weapon Team – Heavy Bolter

10 Guardsmen – Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter
    10 Guardsmen – Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter

10 Veterans – Grenadiers, 3 Plasma Guns, Lascannon, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades
    Valkyrie - Multiple Rocket Pods, Door Gunners, Extra Armor, Searchlight

FAST ATTACK
    Bane Wolf – Chemical Cannon, Extra Armor, Heavy Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Discharger

Vendetta Gunship – Door Gunners, Extra Armor, Searchlight

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

If I were you, I would drop the bolt pistols: they, as has been pointed out to me on one of my lists, are just not worth 2pts. Keep the vox network if you like, but its a drain on points I find and it is wasted if the enemy somehow kill all your commad squads. Fluffwise, I don't hink that it is even sane of GW to make it so as they don't exte nd order ranges, this was a mistake I made and realised that I had to form a tight set of circles with my infantry platoons, while my opponent ion cannoned them to death (I then got fed up and wiped his Tau of the table, but...). Drop some of the vehicle upgrades, the extra armour is not great, and if the army is light recon, it's not fluffy either. Then you can spend the points st your discretion, preferably on yet more guardsmen.

As an aside, Valkyries can't be a dedicated transport, so the Veteran Valk and the storm trooper Valk should be in the fast attack section, but they will have to be a squadron, so they will die more easily. Drop smoke launchers unless you really must keep them.

All in all, not a bad army, but one that could use tweaking and attuning.

veni, vidi, spurius brutus deitrum covi

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I've got to agree with this chappy here. I've played quite a few games with the new list and i have to say i'd taken vox's out of my list after game two. They're useful in the same way as a nucleur bomb shelter. Very useful when you need it but the chances of needing it aint that much. You might as well spend the points else where.

I count 8 vox's? Thats 40 points right there that you can spend on something funky.

Storm Troopers. Are they worth it? aren't they? I really like them but compared to a Carapace vet squad they're just so expensive for what they do. I really think just 10 vets equiped with 3 meltas would do their job for a fraction of the cost. If you've got them for tank hunting you really dont need the squad to be 10 man strong. Not for that many points anyway.

To be honest though i really like your list. It's got a bit of everything and you've got pretty much all bases covered.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Corrigan View Post
    If I were you, I would drop the bolt pistols: they, as has been pointed out to me on one of my lists, are just not worth 2pts. Keep the vox network if you like, but its a drain on points I find and it is wasted if the enemy somehow kill all your commad squads. Fluffwise, I don't hink that it is even sane of GW to make it so as they don't exte nd order ranges, this was a mistake I made and realised that I had to form a tight set of circles with my infantry platoons, while my opponent ion cannoned them to death (I then got fed up and wiped his Tau of the table, but...). Drop some of the vehicle upgrades, the extra armour is not great, and if the army is light recon, it's not fluffy either. Then you can spend the points st your discretion, preferably on yet more guardsmen.

As an aside, Valkyries can't be a dedicated transport, so the Veteran Valk and the storm trooper Valk should be in the fast attack section, but they will have to be a squadron, so they will die more easily. Drop smoke launchers unless you really must keep them.

All in all, not a bad army, but one that could use tweaking and attuning.

veni, vidi, spurius brutus deitrum covi

Hehe, I know where the confusion is ... none of the vehicles except the bane wolf actualy pay for extra armor, both chimeras and valks have it to begin with so I didnt actualy have to pay for it. They automaticaly come with it, its just when I write out my army lists I try to mention everything - so I dont forget about the wargear during a game. ** for a lousy upgrade is a bit too much, considerign the fact that it was a third of the value a week ago.

Regarding the valks however, you mind explaining their rules? Basicaly if I take 3 in a single squadron, they can operate independently right? Its just that they take a single fast choice. Thats kinda what i did, If I understand correctly, yes those valks are in fast slots but since there is only 2 of them, I included with in a single squadron. But they will be deployed apart with a squad in each.

Quote Originally Posted by lord borak View Post
    I've got to agree with this chappy here. I've played quite a few games with the new list and i have to say i'd taken vox's out of my list after game two. They're useful in the same way as a nucleur bomb shelter. Very useful when you need it but the chances of needing it aint that much. You might as well spend the points else where.

I count 8 vox's? Thats 40 points right there that you can spend on something funky.

Storm Troopers. Are they worth it? aren't they? I really like them but compared to a Carapace vet squad they're just so expensive for what they do. I really think just 10 vets equiped with 3 meltas would do their job for a fraction of the cost. If you've got them for tank hunting you really dont need the squad to be 10 man strong. Not for that many points anyway.

To be honest though i really like your list. It's got a bit of everything and you've got pretty much all bases covered.
    Thanks, thats actualy exactly what I try to do - incorporate a bit of everything without focusing too much on one specific thing. I took your advice regarding the bolt pistols, sad, but your kinda right. The only reason why I have them is because my models are modeled with them.

Regarding vox, I will try this list out in a game aganst a friend of mine and will see if they are worth kepping. They went from very useful to utterly useless in a period of a couple days. Again I had them because I modeled them ....

I am reconsidering storm troopers atm, I painted and converted them so well ... and now they are useless.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Useless?? NAh they're your new Carapace Veterans Thats what all mine turned into anyway. All 60 of them.

As for Bolt pistols on your Characters. Well it's not that many points is it. And is it really worth Chopping them off just to save the half Dozen points?

Valks: If you buy a squadron of them then they opperate well...... As the squadron rules say. They have to Stay within 4" Coherency i think (possibly 6"). So it will reduce the options for your units I'm afraid.
    I'd keep the Vendetta seperate with who ever is in that for tank killyness. If you pair up the Valks and put the squad in one of them, if they're shot at you can allocate the hit to the Valk without the squad in. Valks are troop killers anyway to piling their shots into one target isn't the end of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Yep, as a squadron they have to stick together.

As covered before, voxes aren't all that hot, bolt pistols are points filler and that's it, and Stormies are unimpressive.

I would drop your 2nd platoon altogether and just get more Vets. Triple special weapons and BS4 make worlds of difference here.

I'd also drop the med pack and heavy bolter from your CCS. Think of them as another Vet Squad with orders. Medpack isn't needed since you're in a Chimera.

Some big tanks wouldn't hurt either, a pair of Russes would help draw fire away from your Chimeras and would be a great help against infantry.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread