2K Airborne & GK - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

2K Airborne & GK

Okay, this is my first shot at making a guard list. I was looking at the codex, and I think I've got a pretty good idea for a very very dangerous list combining several hard units. Here it goes:
    -----

Company Command Squad w/ medicpack, vox caster, mortar, carapace armor, astropath, master of ordnance, 2 bodyguard
    @ 200

Company Command Squad w/ medicpack, vox caster, mortar, carapace armor, astropath, master of ordnance, 2 bodyguard
    @ 200

5x Grey Knight Terminators w/ psycannon
    @ 285

Veteran Squad w/ plasma pistol, powerfist, heavy flamer, grenadiers
    @ 145

@ 145

6 Grey Knights w/ psycannon
    @ 200

@ 200

2x Valkyrie w/ 2 lascannon, rocket pods, heavy bolters
    @ 220

@ 220

total: 1995/2000

---------
    The plan is to use the +2 reserve rolls from my Astropaths to bring down my Termies, and my Valkyries on the second turn. The Valks will 'outflank' so that they have their 'fast' bonus when they move in. Each squadron will carry a unit of GKs and a Vet squad. Basically use the GKTs and the Master of Ord. to hit targets early on, and then sweep threats with the Valks before deploying my squads.
    Comments and CRITICISM is extremely welcome, before I go drop the $$ on this list.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like a pretty solid list except it seems like you are going for your grey knights to pack the most punch. Why not this, exchange your veterans for infantry platoons and take away the standard grey knights for more Grey Knight Termies. You could have 4 squads of 5 grey knight termies outflanking and landing and rasing hell immedietly.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Because of the restrictions placed upon allying the GKs with another list, I can only have 1HQ, 1Elite, 2 Troops, and 1 Fast attack option. Furthermore, a standard infantry platoon costs more than my Veteran Squads, unless you are suggesting that I also drop out something else along with them.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Only 6 PAGK in a squad seem a little bit underwhelming. Any way to shave points somewhere to maybe up the squad numbers and maybe put meltabombs on the Justicar?

Powerfist and plasma pistol on the vet sergeant seems a bit overkill on the points. So does the carapace armor on all the IG, IMO you're hurting in the number of troops department.

It also looks like your having your CCS hiding in back most of the game and shell the crap out of everything (correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, probably drop the vox because nothing will be close enough to merit using them. If you're set on the carapace armor and medic, you can probably save yourself a handful of points by leave the bodyguards as vets. Droping the medics may also scrounge enough points to throw in a chimera for each CCS.

But I don't know what the detailed fluff behind your army is so its all up to you. That and I'm an utter noob to this game as well, so take this with a grain of salt.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Okay, this is my first shot at making a guard list. I was looking at the codex, and I think I've got a pretty good idea for a very very dangerous list combining several hard units. Here it goes:
    -----

@ 200

@ 200
    Way too much for a Command Squad. Get rid of the vox caster...you have no one close to you to issue orders to. I'd also get rid of the bodyguards and medicpack. I'd exchange the carapace armor for camo cloaks, and keep them in cover. That way, they get 3+ cover, which is way better than 4+ armor. Finally, since they're basically going to be stationary and hiding back there, I'd give them either an autocannon or lascannon to make them a little more useful.
    @ 285
    This unit comes out to be 270.
    @ 145

@ 145

@ 200

@ 200
    I assume they're be dropping out of the valks? The vets aren't really good in CC. I'd suggest dropping the PF+PP and instead get 2 meltas+HF for them instead. This way they can go anti-horde or anti-tank.
    @ 220

@ 220

total: 1995/2000
    Each valk would cost 155 so each squad would be 310, not 220.

The plan is to use the +2 reserve rolls from my Astropaths to bring down my Termies, and my Valkyries on the second turn. The Valks will 'outflank' so that they have their 'fast' bonus when they move in. Each squadron will carry a unit of GKs and a Vet squad. Basically use the GKTs and the Master of Ord. to hit targets early on, and then sweep threats with the Valks before deploying my squads.
    Comments and CRITICISM is extremely welcome, before I go drop the $$ on this list.
    You realize that if they go flat-out to get the cover, then they can't shoot, right? So if they were shoot, then they'll be vulnerable w/no cover.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Awesome, tons of replies in just one day! Well, I've looked over the list and realized that I did in fact frag the math on my Valks, and I also adjusted many of the units to take into account most of the suggestions. I upped the numbers of paGKs, and rearmed my guard squads. This is what I've got now:

Company Command Squad w/ autocannon, camo cloaks, astropath, master of ordnance
    @ 140

Company Command Squad w/ autocannon, camo cloak, astropath, master of ordnance
    @ 140

@ 270

Veteran Squad w/ 2 meltaguns, heavy flamer, grenadiers
    @ 140

Veteran Squad w/ 2 meltaguns, heavy flamer, grenadiers
    @ 140

9x Grey Knights w/ psycannon
    @ 275

9x Grey Knights w/ psycannon
    @ 275

@ 310

@ 310

2000/2000
    The plan is the same- and yes, the HQs are intending so sit back in cover and shell everybody into the stone-age. I am aware that the Valks will be unable to shoot if I move flat-out, but I don't want to risk having them sit still through a round of shooting. Atleast this way, if I don't get the first turn it's not a problem, and they can come onto the field at breakneck speed, rather than DSing and sitting still. Plan is to drop the Guard further from fighting, as then drop the GKs closer to the action.
    Rep to jy2 for the awesome reply, it helped alot. I'm new to guard, and not a big-time 40K player. I just love the Guard and GK, and finally have an excuse to use them all together.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: OK.

Elites: GK Termies are good. a single Psy hood on the BC will protect your entire army from 45% of all psy powers.

Troops: Vets are ok apart from the heavy flamer which costs a lot. Stick with 3 meltas in each squad ans because they are assault weapons conidder taking shotguns on the other squad members. PAGKs are ok but drop the psy cannon. They cost a lot and aren't really that much better than a heavy bolter.

Fast: Their weapons don't really work well together and they cost more than vendettas. swap them for vendettas.

Overall I don't thing PAGKs need to be in a valk or vendetta. Their assault 2 weapons mean they can footslogg quite happily (forewards or backwards) laying down withering firepower at all ranges. Why not put the GK Termies in a vendetta? Then considder a cheap infantry platoon to guard the command squads. Equip them with AC+GL to keep the cost down and they can make maximum use of the orders that will be available. They will also hold home field objectives. The platoon command doesn't have to stay nearby and can take 4 flamers and ride in a vendetta to provide horde defence and give a veteran squad an order now and then.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread