1k IG - aiming for a rounded army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1k IG - aiming for a rounded army

First, the list:

Imperial Guard

HQ

Company Command Squad
    Master of Ordnance

TROOPS

Platoon I

Platoon I Command Squad
    Missile Launcher

Platoon I Squad I
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I Squad II
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I Squad III
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I Squad IV
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I HWS I
    3 Lascannons

Veteran Squad I
    3 Plasma Guns
    Sarge's Plasma Pistol

with a Chimera Transport
    Pintle Heavy Stubber
    Extra Armour

Veteran Squad II
    3 Sniper Rifles
    Missile Launcher

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Hull Lascannon
    Extra Armour
    Haeavy Bolter Sponsons

995 pts

Now, comments:

HQ hides behind or around the leman russ near the lascannon HWS for the twin-linked order, firing ordnance barrages all the while with the MoO.

The platoon sits in a line screening and ripping up lighter infantry. Do I have too many squads focused on that?

The veterans in the chimera move towards objectives and take down threatening MEq squads. intended to be mobile. They'll probably fry themselves though.

I'm not completely sure about the sniper vet squad (don't have the models yet). sniper rifles seem good, and they might combine well with a RL.

the Russ does it's thing. - the odd weapons loadout is the result of buying it used, and it will be difficult to alter.

I'm aiming for a balanced list for all comers, but i'm not sure i have enough anti-marine firepower. It also might be too focused on light infantry.

What do you think?

AKA MindSnap

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by smallelflaughing View Post
    HQ

Company Command Squad
    Master of Ordnance
    Well you kept this unit bare bones, which is usually my style as well. Master of Ordnance seems to be real popular now, though you have to remember that he's horribly inaccurate. If you land one decent shot he makes back his points though, so he's not altogether bad. The one thing I really like to do with my important commander(s) though, is give him a Chimera. He can still issue orders, better, in fact because the Chimera can cruise him around if he needs to relocate a bit. And the enemy has to pop a tank before it can kill off your top guy. Again I mention the Master of Ordnance being grossly inaccurate, because removing him would have you more than halfway to affording another Chimera.

Don't forget that you can put special weapons in this squad. This is really advantageous if they're in a Chimera, as they can still fire from the top hatch. Or you can just go with a cheap mortar, while they sit out of line of sight from the enemy. Which can also be fired from a Chimera hatch.

Platoon I

Platoon I Command Squad
    Missile Launcher
    Is there any particular reason you put a missile launcher in this squad, or just tossing something in? First off, I hate missile launchers in the new codex. For five points less I can have a gun that's better at killing infantry (autocannon, typically) or for five points more, I can have something better against tanks (lascannon). Personally I prefer the autocannon for most of my heavy weapons. They're good anti-infantry and light vehicles, and very affordable. I design my lists to have some anti-infantry and anti-tank elements, and I let the basic troopers fill that middle ground of dealing with other infantry and light tanks.

Platoon Command Squads are great places to load up several special weapons, in my opinion. They're not crucial order-givers, since the platoon level orders aren't quite as impressive as command ones. I'd think about giving the squad 3-4 flamers and have them act as a counter-charge unit. They could have a Chimera like the Company Command Squad, but they're just as well sitting behind your infantry units.

Platoon I Squad I-IV
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher
    As I just mentioned, I prefer Autocannons over heavy bolters, so I like having the grenade launcher/autocannon combination for my Infantry Squads. Gives them two weapons with similar goals, and very cheap.

Platoon I HWS I
    3 Lascannons
    I really don't like these units. I disliked them in the last codex, and making them two-wound models made them even more vulnerable in the new one. Not to mention that lascannons are pricy, and melta really is the better way to pop tanks these days. At their point cost, you're not far away from being able to take a Vendetta Gunship, which is easily one of the best Guard anti-tank units available. Based on your comments about the Leman Russ, I'll assume that you're building a list with modelling restrictions. If that's not an issue (or if you're able to make a purchase in the future), I'd buy one of the Valkyrie kits. Try magnetizing the waepons so you can swap out, and try running it as a Valkyrie. Just as many lascannons as this squad, but they're twin-linked, have some mobility, and armor 12 is much less vulnerable than a Heavy Weapons Squad. If you're NOT going to get a Valkyrie anytime soon then, I'd think about moving one or two lascannons over into Infantry Squads. That provides more bodies to protect the gun. Drop the grenade launcher from the squad, no use wasting it firing at a heavy vehicle. Then just make an autocannon Heavy Weapons Squad instead, as multiple autocannons firing at a horde unit or light vehicle isn't too wasteful. Just don't put big expensive lascannons in an overly vulnerable unit. The only upside to HWS is giving them the "Bring it Down" special order, and with a lower leadership, they'll fail regularly.

Veteran Squad I
    3 Plasma Guns
    Sarge's Plasma Pistol

with a Chimera Transport
    Pintle Heavy Stubber
    Extra Armour
    The plasma pistol is a waste of points. You'll get what, maybe 1 shot with it per game? Two at most? Those points can buy two flamers or grenade launchers elsewhere, which'll likely have a greater imapct. Plasma is good, but its expensive. Personally I'd go with meltaaguns instead. You can afford all 3 meltas for the price of two of your plasmas, they can still cook MEQs pretty well, and they give you another very solid anti-tank option. You sacrifice an extra shot at 12" for roasting MEQs for drastically better odds of popping a tank. And save points in the process. Good trade-off in my book. And I'd drop the extra armor from the Chimera. Keeping Guard tanks moving forward is questionable value were EA priced appropriately...and its not. Way too much to spend just to keep it moving, so don't waste your points.

Veteran Squad II
    3 Sniper Rifles
    Missile Launcher
    You've already read my rant on missile launchers, so I won't recap. I'm not a fan of giving guardsmen sniper rifles. Snipers rely too heavily on rending to accomplish anything, and that's not a common occurence. If you want snipers, go with Ratlings. But even Ratlings are only particularly effective if you use Battle Psykers to guarantee a pin. You don't have psykers (or the points for them), so I'd pass. I'd just take another Vet Squad equipped similarly to the previous one. Or go with a 3 grenade launcher, autocannon squad to provide very solid fire support. Alternately, maybe you want to go with another vehicle instead. If you have a Hellhound model, you could run it as a Bane Wolf. That gives you a very good reactionary vehicle that can shred horde or MEQ infantry equally well. The template range seems bad until you remember that the Bane Wolf can move 12" and still fire the chemical cannon (its a defensive weapon). Use it to deal with an enemy unit that has or is about to assault your lines, or try to flank with it and target a vulnerable enemy unit. Can't go wrong.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Hull Lascannon
    Extra Armour
    Haeavy Bolter Sponsons
    We already discussed extra armor, but that goes doubly so for a Leman Russ, which gains no real benefit from moving, whereas a Chimera transport accomplishes a little. You're worried about anti-MEQ firepower, here's a great idea for you: ditch the extra armor and scrounge up five more points and give your Russ plasma cannon sponsons instead of heavy bolters. Still fairly effective against basic infantry, but makes the Russ an absolute monster against MEQs with two plasma cannon blasts and the battle cannon. I know you bought the Russ used, but if you buy a demolisher kit or scrounge one up, you can just put a regular Russ turret on the chasis. A basic Russ with plasma sponsons is one of my favorite new units of the new dex. I prefer the hull heavy bolter over lascannon because its cheaper and I have no intention of my Russes hunting other vehicles (that job belongs to infantry and Valkyries).

Hope all this proves useful. I attempted to give you some suggestions based on what you seem to currently own, as well as some pointers for where you might look to expand your army in the future. Overall your list is pretty solid with 75 infantry and 2 vehicles at 1,000 points. I'd look to maintain around that number of infantry, and add another vehicle or two to give you a very solid combined arms approach with a mix of firepower to take on all comers.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great advice!

I moved some stuff around like you suggested. I still have 55 points to spend on my 2 command squads. I was thinking of loading up on flamers for the platoon one, maybe joined by a commisar with a power fist? Are they worth it? For my company command squad a mortar is a possibility. Also, my second squad of veterans is now very expensive and i'm not sure if they're worth it.

HQ

Company Command Squad
    Master of Ordnance

TROOPS

Platoon I

Platoon I Command Squad

Platoon I Squad I
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I Squad II
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I Squad III
    Lascannon Team

Platoon I Squad IV
    Lascannon Team

Platoon I HWS I
    3 Autocannons

Veteran Squad I
    3 Meltaguns

with a Chimera Transport
    Pintle Heavy Stubber

Veteran Squad II
    3 Plasma Guns
    Lascannon

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Plasma Cannon Sponsons

945 pts
    AKA MindSnap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Sokhar gave some excellent advice, I agree completely.

For your last couple points, drop the Chimera's heavy stubber and give your PCS 2 flamers and a ride of their own. That way you get another armored vehicle and your PCS becomes a mobile reserve that can threaten enemy infantry.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I buy another Chimera, I'd rather give it to my other vet squad to give them some more mobility. If I then move the lascannon to the command squad, I have 10 points to spare. I might put a mortar in the company command squad.

Also, dropped the pintle stubber as it didn't coincide with the veteran's use.

I also just realized that I do indeed have room in my travel case for another chimera, unlike my previous thinking.

New list:

HQ

Company Command Squad
    Master of Ordnance

TROOPS

Platoon I

Platoon I Command Squad
    Lascannon Team

Platoon I Squad I
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I Squad II
    Heavy Bolter Team
    Grenade Launcher

Platoon I Squad III
    Lascannon Team

Platoon I Squad IV
    Lascannon Team

Platoon I HWS I
    3 Autocannons

Veteran Squad I
    3 Meltaguns
    with a
    Chimera Transport

Veteran Squad II
    3 Plasma Guns
    with a
    Chimera Transport

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Plasma Cannon Sponsons

990 pts

I suppose I have a glaring weakness to assault, but lets hope it doesn't get to that often.

Also, my friends play space wolves, necrons and tyranids. I still want to have a balanced army, but the plethora of tough units and 3+ saves makes me want plasmaguns.
    AKA MindSnap

+ Reply to Thread