1750 Imperial Guard. Whats wrong with it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Imperial Guard. Whats wrong with it?

Hey guys. I am new to Imperial guard, have been playing 40K many years and have good knowledge on my current armies, but it is all theory when it comes to guard for me. I am in process of collecting models. Below is the list I am aiming for, so pleasefire away and let me know whats wrong with it. And whats good if you want. But I am a firm believer of listen to the critics, which is you guys.

HQ

Commissar Lord
    Carapace Armour
    Power Sword

TROOPS

Veteran Squad (rides in Vendetta)
    3 x Meltaguns
    Bastone

Veteran Squad
    2 x Melta Guns
    Chimera
    Multilaser & Heavy Bolter
    Dozer Blade

Veteran Squad
    2 x Flamers
    Chimera
    MultiLaser & Heavy Bolter
    Dozer Blade

Veteran Squad
    Autocannon

Veteran Squad
    Heavy Bolter
    Sniper Rifle

FAST ATTACK

Bane Wolf/Hell Hound ??

Vendetta

HEAVY SUPPORT
    2 x Griffons, 1 x Colossus

1 x Hydra Flak Tank

2 x Leman Russ Vanquishers (or 1 x Vanquisher & 1 x Standard)
    Commander Pask
    Lascannon's (or if 1 x Standard Russ taken tehn heavy bolters)
    Dozer Blades

So general aim is artillery will deploy in cover, and with 3 x Large blasts a turn can cause horriffic damage. Also 1 x griffon will act as guide fpr other two, meaning that I can use the colossus where intended to attack any enemy troops in cover. 2 x Veteran squads to act as support/protection, while also holding objectives in my deployment zone.

Vendetta is in reserve. When avaiable will hunt enemy armour or monstrous creatures etc, and veterans will deploy to take out a different enemy armour target of assist vendetta against monstrous creatures. Bastone to use bring it down making meltaguns twin linked. After initial volley, they are to take an objective.

Other Veterans and Commissar in Chimeras with support from Bane Wolf/Hell Hound will be used to take the fight to the enemy, and secure objectives.

Leman Russ Vanquisher to provide anti tank threat, with 2nd Vanquisher for support, or a standard Leman Russ to provide versatility.

Anyway! Thats it, so me know what you think. Would be really appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Commissar Lord: Meh. He doesn't give orders and is expensive. I'd prefer a CCS.

Bastonne: He's expensive, you could almost field another unit or a CCS to give everybody orders.

Vets: Give them triple meltas or plasma, add a heavy weapon, and Chimera. They can zoom around blasting tanks or MEQs, with a heavy weapon as ranged support.

Chimera: Multi-laser and Heavy Flamer, so you can keep moving and firing and threaten enemy infantry that get too close. Don't bother with dozers, they're simply too expensive.

Artillery: That's a lot of tanks. I don't like squadrons much as immobilized can destroy you. 1 of each would be ok.

Hydra: The exception to squadrons, field as many as possible.

Russes: Yuck. If you want Pask, run his tank on its own as normal Vanquishers suck and basic Russes won't be as effective against tanks.

Vendetta: 1 is ok, 2 are better.

Re-jig your Vets, redo the whole Heavy Support section, add a CCS, and throw another Vend in.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Hey ==Me== I don't see how putting a heavy weapon on the Chimera Vet squad helps as if they move they can't shoot it. I don't think the pillbox is worth the price. But maybe you're thinking of something else that I'm missing.

I'm no expert, but I'll give you my opinion.

HQ

Commissar Lord Definately not as effective point for point, but he would add great leadership and be "different" then all the other guard armies out there, which is fine.
    Carapace Armour
    Power Sword

TROOPS

Veteran Squad (rides in Vendetta)
    3 x Meltaguns
    Bastone I'm not a big fan of "named" characters but I agree, you could get another squad for the price almost and you'll want lots of bodies on the board

Veteran Squad
    2 x Melta Guns I also agree that you might as well have 3, fill out the slots because they'll take casualties and there's always the chance that you'll roll 1's to hit or something.
    Chimera
    Multilaser & Heavy Bolter
    Dozer Blade

Veteran Squad
    2 x Flamers
    Chimera
    MultiLaser & Heavy Bolter
    Dozer Blade

Veteran Squad
    Autocannon

Veteran Squad
    Heavy Bolter
    Sniper Rifle

FAST ATTACK

Bane Wolf/Hell Hound ??I've got one, but I'm really not sure how effective they'll be this edition since the range is limited and it's hard to get them to make up their point cost

Vendetta

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 x Hydra Flak Tank

2 x Leman Russ Vanquishers (or 1 x Vanquisher & 1 x Standard)
    Commander Pask
    Lascannon's (or if 1 x Standard Russ taken tehn heavy bolters)
    Dozer Blades
    I'm not so sure of the vanquisher either. I think the troops provide anti tank better and cheaper. The demolisher doesn't look as cool, but it has a better chance of blowing up a tank than the vanquisher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Well, an autocannon is cheap and can threaten light vehicles early on. You don't have to use it all game, but the option is nice if you have points to spare. I'm loath to waste that BS4.

The Bane Wolf is neat because it can zoom 12" and fire its Chem Cannon and heavy flamer, so the short range isn't as much of an issue as you think (plus anybody assaulting hits on 6's).

The Vanq with Pask is neat because you can snipe tanks from across the field, but generally I would prefer the Demolisher.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Theys guys above have rpetty much said everything but i'll give my pennies worth.
    I'm using a pair of Bane Woves at the moment and their awesome little counter attack units. They'll also make marines think twice about assaulting your lines before charging in. possibly giving you another valuable turn of shooting before things turn messy. I would run them in pairs though. preferably not as a squadron but if you have to you have to. They're very aggressive tanks and will take alot of return fire. As said above they can move 12 and fire both the heavy Flamer and the Chem Cannon which is just nasty against hoards and well everything.

Commissar Lords are pretty cool, they are a tad on the Expensive side but WS5 is a leap compared to most Guard units. Plus making your other units LD10 is more than alittle bit handy. Personally I'd Give him a Powerfist to hit on 3'd and kill on 2's. At Initiative 3 you'll be striking last anyway so theres not much point going for a power weapon.

Bastone, I'd drop this boy. He looks cool but he's far to many points for what he is. Your better spending the points on giving the Autocannon Vet squad some additional kit. Camo Cloaks and another Special weapon would be good.

Chimeras. If these boys are going to be on the move then i'd equip them with Heavy Flamers and Multilasers. You'll be able to take down light vehicles and when you do get up close and personal you can give some infantry some Heavy Flamer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so revised list with thanks to advice

same tactics pretty much as before, but the force has been tweaked.

HQ
    Company Command Squad
    3 x Snipers
    1 x Vox
    Camo Cloaks
    1 x Astropath
    1 x Officer of the Fleet

TROOPS
    1 x Veteran Squad (rides in vendetta)
    3 x Meltaguns
    Bastone (still makes the cut in my opinion)

1 x veteran squad
    Camo cloaks, snare mines
    Vox
    3 x Snipers
    1 x Autocannon

1 x veteran squad (same as above)

1 x verteran squad
    3 x Meltaguns
    Chimera, Multilaser, Hvy Flamer

1 x veteran Squad
    3 x Flamers
    Chimera, Multilaser, Hvy Flamer

FAST ATTACK
    1 x Vendetta

1 x Bane wolf

HEAVY SUPPORT
    1 x Hydra Flak tank

1 x Demolisher
    Lascannon, Multi-melta sponsons, extra armour, dozer blade

Total - 1745

Anyway how does everyone think it looks now. All thoughts welcome and appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

I don't know if the snipers fit in with the autocannon. Swap out the doctrine for plasmas, fun times.

Swap a Griffon for a Hydra and I think you're good to go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Yup, =He= pretty much covered all the bases, see if you cold find the points to give pintle stubbers to your banewolf, chimeras, and hydras.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread