1500 competitive imperial gaurd - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 competitive imperial gaurd

hello, im new to imperial gaurd prefering space marines but since they now have a new codex and models id thought id try them out. So heres my first list, critiques and comments welcome.

Company command squad
    Power weapon
    Plasma Pistol
    Medipack
    Regimental Standard
    Vox Caster 120

Platoon Command Squad
    Power weapon
    Plasma Pistol
    Medipack
    Regimental Standard
    Vox Caster 100

4 x Infantry Squads
    Missile Launchers 280

Platoon Command Squad
    Power weapon
    Plasma Pistol
    Medipack
    Regimental Standard
    Vox Caster 100

2 x Infantry
    Las-cannons 140

2 x Infantry 100

Vendetta 130

Vendetta 130

Leman Russ Executioner 230

Leman Russ Battle Tank 170

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Imperial Guard, one of the main strengths of the guard is their multirole flexibility with special weapon choices and the like, however these special weapons are typically required for best results, also the individual guardsman doesn't achieve much by himself, but with tons of others they can bring almost anything down by sheer probability attrition.

Recommendations in red
    Quote Originally Posted by martinfartin View Post
    Company command squad
    Power weapon
    Plasma Pistol
    - drop these, you don't want to get this unit into CC or use it as a counter-assaulter anymore becasue they cannot use their orders when locked in assault and orders are one of the new super assets of the IG force.
    Medipack
    Regimental Standard
    Vox Caster 120

Platoon Command Squad
    Power weapon
    Plasma Pistol
    - again drop these as well, you will hardly ever use the plasma pistol to begin with and while this squad can be thrown into assault if necessary it isn't really all that decked out for it.
    Medipack
    Regimental Standard
    Vox Caster 100

4 x Infantry Squads
    Missile Launchers 280
    - give these infantry squads their obligatory special weapon using the points saved from dropping the plasma pistol/powerweapon wargear (should be about 60 or so points?)...give then plasmas or Gl's...
    Platoon Command Squad
    Power weapon - again drop
    Plasma Pistol - this too
    Medipack
    Regimental Standard
    Vox Caster 100

2 x Infantry
    Las-cannons 140

2 x Infantry 100
    - give this squad their obligatory special weapon Gl/flamer/plasma/etc...

Vendetta 130

Vendetta 130
    - you can probably give these the HB sponsons too with the saved wargear costs if you have any.

Leman Russ Executioner 230

Leman Russ Battle Tank 170

The infantry squads really need their special weapon choice, typically a GL or plasmagun to give them decent anti-heavy infantry/light vehicle firepower.

plasma pistols typically aren't that great, they are a bit costly for only maybe ever getting a single use that can and will eventually kill the user instead of the intended target.

power weapons are nice because it ensures that the str 3 hits will kill whatever they wound, but now the role of the CCS has changed a bit, before they could be thrown into the fire when needed as a semi-decent counter assault unit, but now doing so will shut down your orders capability until they are free and clear from that combat, which can take a while.

If I was going to assign powerweapons I would probably only do it if I had 30 or so left over points that I couldn't get rid of elsewhere giving some other unit something useful (like vehicle stubbers for instance) and then I would give them to the Platoon HQ's first (since they will typically see action before the CCS due to their more mobile nature), and then finally the CCS itself if I had the points remaining.
    1st Enders Mechanized Division
    Enlist Today, Ave Imperator, Ave Endra

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Agree drop the PP and PW and the vox. In order for a vox to work you need one in the target squad too and then they become expensive. Cammo cloaks may be better and cheaper than medics.

Troops: Use ML + Plasma for decent MEQ killing with a reasonable antitank ability. Or use AC + GL for a cheaper all round design. Also take 2 squads with 9 lasguns and a flamer to go in the vendettas and make them scoring.

Fast: Good. Doorgunners if you have the points left at the end.

Heavy: Considder 2 standard russ with palsma sponson otherwise the enemy just kill your most expensive tank first.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

These two pretty much covered it.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice guys i think ill take on board what youve said and revise my list and repost once the changes have been made. Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread