1000 Friendly Non-gunline - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Friendly Non-gunline

Im getting bored of playing gunline all the time so I thought id try running my infantry squads without heavy weapons:

HQ:
    Company Command: Powerfist, Vox, Chimera ( 125 )

Elite:
    Guardsman Marbo ( 65 )

Troops:
    Infantry Platoon:
    -Command: 2xFlamer ( 40 )
    -Sqaud: Melta, Vox ( 65 )
    -Squad: Melta ( 60 )
    -Squad: Plasma, Vox ( 70 )
    -Squad: Plasma ( 65 )

Veterans: 3xMelta, Chimera, Hull Heavy Flamer ( 155 )

Fast Attack:
    Armoured Sentinel: Plasma cannon ( 75 )

Vendetta ( 130 )

Heavy Support:
    Leman Russ ( 150 )

Total 1000

The squads with the same special weapons will be combined to benefit from the command squads "bring it down" and "fire on my target" orders
    What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

*Foams at the mouth*

Infantry without heavy weapons? Raaargh!

If you want mobile infantry with special weapons, just go with Vets.

CCS doesn't need a powerfist, they shouldn't be in combat.

Vendetta is cool, more would be cooler.

If you want a mobile army, mech up and add flame tanks.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I..... Well i like it. It's actually alot like my army lol. (well one of them)

This style of army works really well in city fight boards or decent boards with cover in there. If you're fighting on a board with sod all cover you'll be shot to ribbons with not much chance to retaliate.

If you're going to try this style Al Rahem (or your version of Al Rahem) would be a cool little character to have kicking around. Having 45 Blokes weilding plasma, flamer and melta running from a table edge swarming all and sundry would un nerve most people. Added with a 'suprise' from Marbo it would be a nasty little combo.

Scout sentinels would be a good little touch to the army. Adding to the 'in your face' Guard army that you're try for.

You are running a little low on blokes though. The aggressive style you want to play in will be high in death toll. 4 infantry squads might not cut it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, if I was to add some more men or Al'rahem (or both) what would you suggest getting rid of?
    I was thinking the command squad and using my Lord Commissar instead as Al'rahem can use the "bring it down order" and until those guys turned up there's no-one really to order.

Btw, my main opponent plays Tau so the powerfist is there for some man-on-fish pugilism. However I don't want to turn the list into a pure Tau killing force

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Even Al rahems not shoddy against those tau in combat. hitting battlesuits on 3's and then instant killing them if he wounds? Not bad if you ask me. I didn't realise how expensive he was though. Damn.

Ok well just as an example....
    You could loose the sentinel. A single sentinel will never acheive much other than an irritation and an easy kill point to the enemy. Thats 75pts shaved off.

You could loose the command squad for the Commisar lord. The Lord can always hitch a lift with the vets. Comissar Lord with a Fist works out to 85pts which saves you 40 off the command squad.

Hell you could even ditch the Vets chimera and have them in the Vendetta saving you another 55pts. So thats 170pts spare to buy Al Rahem and more bodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Al'Rahem isn't so hot himself. An outflanking unit has to be fast, choppy (or good shooty at short range), and threatening. Guardsmen are none of these things. Mounting in Chimeras could be fun, but it's rather expensive. Plus, it means you aren't shooting for a couple turns, and that just won't do.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, I play tested a similar list to this last night...
    got tabled in 4 turns.

Admittedly losing the Russ and Vendetta in turn 1 didn't help but did serve to highlight the extreme lack of maneuverability and ranged fire power of the infantry squads.

The infantry wave might however work for someone with a larger collection of guardsmen than I.

Ah well, back to the drawing board. What would the wise people of LO recommend as a good mechanised list?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Infantry squads are going to be imobile and having a lack of range is what you wanted in the first place isn't it? Sitting back and shooting IS boring.

You could loose the Russ and Vendetta. And get some Chimeras to make the platoon a mobile wedge what will give you mobility and some serious fire power. I'd loose the armoured sentinel and with any points spare get some lascannon armed scout sentinels to outflank with Al'Rahems Platoon.

Will you have anything on the board in turn one to get shot at? Ah the vets. You may need to hide these somewhere lol. They'd be the only target.

+ Reply to Thread