1500 Ultramarines: would this be competitive? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Ultramarines: would this be competitive?

!1500!
    HQ
    HQ (2)
    SPACE MARINE CAPTAIN (100 )+Relic Blade (30 )+Storm Bolter (3)= 133
    [5] w/ COMMAND SQUAD (115)+Company Champion (15)+Power Fist (25)= 155
    + RAZORBACK TRANSPORT= 40
    SPACE MARINE LIBRARIAN (100 )+ Epistolary (50 )+Terminator Armour w/ Storm Shield (40 )= 190
    TOTAL= 518 pts

TROOPS (3)
    [10] TACTICAL SQUAD (170 )+Plasma Gun (10 )+Heavy Bolter OR Multi-Melta (0 )= 180
    [10] TACTICAL SQUAD (170 )+Plasma Gun (10 )+Plasma Cannon (5)+ Combi-Plasma (10 ) = 195
    [5] SCOUT SQUAD (75)+Missile Launcher (10 )+ Sniper Rifle x4 (0 )+ Camo Cloaks (15)=100
    [2] RHINO TRANSPORT = 70
    TOTAL= 560 pts

ELITES (2)
    [7] STERNGUARD VETERAN SQUAD (175 )+Combi-Melta x2 (10 )+Power Fist(25)= 210
    DREADNOUGHT (105)+ Assault Cannon (10 )+Extra Armour (15)=130
    TOTAL= 335 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT (1)
    WHIRLWIND = 85
    Total: 1493 pts

Comments, please.
    The Captain and his squad will be used as a small counter-charge unit, while the Librarian will GOI around with the Sternguard and provide invulnerable saves with force dome as well as more CC power.

My primary concerns are low model count (Librarian, for example, could be swapped out for another tactical squad or even another dreadnaught) and sup-par anti armour. I could possibly get a PF sarge or two and a Melta/Tornado speeder instead of the whirlwind.

Last edited by thundahawk; May 18th, 2009 at 21:22. Reason: (0)= smilie

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's just me but I feel like this lacks AT for mech heavy or walker lists.

Also are your sternguard going to be walking? Thats not a good idea since i think you plan on using those short ranged combi-meltas

The librarian doesnt seem to fit very well in the mix either. He cant ride with the command squad and cpt. cause theres no space in the razor back, the tac squads are full in the rhino, and he can infiltrate with the scould. I suppose you could take him with the sternguard if you had gate of infinity.
    I'm not here for the respect, just here to spread the clarity of a very complicated game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Librarian will use Gate of Infinity to move the Sternies around, haven't erally had much game experience with the power so I don't know how reliable it is.

Dreadnaughts with Assault Cannons are great VS light armor, and I might consider giving it an autocannon arm instead of the DCW in order to make it a shooty platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnt see GoI written so I didnt know. There is a harzard for it because you can lose memebers of the squad. It is just like deepstrike. so It can go bad or good. Especially if your using meltas because you have to get close.

For the dreadnought, yess AC is good against light armor, and so is the Autocannon, but if you run into something like a landraider or predator you will be in big trouble. I would also drop the whirlwhind in favor or more AT myself
    I'm not here for the respect, just here to spread the clarity of a very complicated game

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

I would suggest drop podding in the Dread.

To do that with your currently list, I would drop the P.Fist of your Sternguard, And drop the extra armor on the Dread, it really won't help you much as if you are dropping it in place you won't need to walk that much.

Take the Dread in a Drop Pod and add the locator beacon. This will also give a nice radius of non-scattering Gate of Infinity use. Yes it can be destroyed, however I find it usually ignored, once down, if you refrain from firing the storm bolter it comes with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good suggestion, will def consider it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Have you considered a combi-weapon on your Captain? With the cost of the Storm bolter and the points you have left you could buy one of those instead. In the right circumstances a combi-flamer, for example, could be a nasty surprise.

I'd also drop the Extra armor on the Dreadnought.

If you do drop the Librarian you could also remove the powerfist on the Sternguard sergeant. Then, using the available points, get another Dreadnought with Drop pod, add one more Sternguard and a Drop pod for that unit, and two more combi-meltas. Add a Locator beacon if you can. Two Dreadnoughts on the first turn followed by the Sternguard w/ 4 combi-meltas/special ammo is going to wreck a lot of infantry and vehicles.

+ Reply to Thread