Inquisitorial Guardsmen (IG army with alot of DH) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Inquisitorial Guardsmen (IG army with alot of DH)

Ok, posted this over at the IG forum but i would really love some feedback from the DH-players aswell!

Ok guys, i would really love some feedback on this list. Is it even close to being any good?

HQ:
    Grey Knight Brother Captain (psychic hood)
    4xGrey Knight Terminators

Company Command (Colonel Straken)
    Chimera (Pintle Stubber, Extra Armour)

2xPriests

Elite:
    Grey Knight Brother Captain

Troop:
    Troop:
    Veteran Squad
    Veteran Squad
    Veteran Squad

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta Gunship
    Vendetta Gunship
    Vendetta Gunship

Heavy Support:
    Leman Russ Demolisher
    Leman Russ Demolisher
    Hydra Flak tank
    /1990 pts

Plan is to use the 10 Terminators together with Straken and the Priests as my centre block (either mounted in the Chimeras or on foot depending on oppponent). Straken is mostly there to add his awesome abilities and yell orders at the Grey Knights. (Terminators with counter-charge re-rolling misses)

The Vendettas, Demolishers and Hydra all acts as mobile fire support and advances behid the main units. The Veterans hang back in the Vendettas playing cards until last turns of the game when they go for objectives.

The obvious weak spot is the lack of Scoring units (only 3) but im finding it hard to come up with points for any more Troops. The closest thing to drop is the Hydra but its such a sweet piece i just want to have one!

This list seems really cool in my eyes, but i might have missed something, so any C&C is truly welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Just a note that while technically legal to put the GKT's in the Vends, some opponents may cry foul if you do so. But then again, they'll probably cry foul at all the new toys the IG's have.

I like GKT allies to IG armies. Problem is, they take up a lot of points. As it is right now, I don't feel you have enough troops. For a guard army, I feel that they should have a MINIMUM of 4 scoring units. I myself tried a mechanized guard army with lots of tanks and only 3 scoring units - I almost lost and was probably saved by the dice ending the game on turn 5.

I'm not sure on the purpose of the priests? Were you planning on putting one with Straken & 1 with a vet squad? Maybe it's just me, but I feel they fit best in a combined infantry squad or a conscript squad. I'd probably get rid of them and get a unit of Penal Legionnaires to outflank and claim objectives while the opponent is engaged with the rest of the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Trukson View Post
    HQ:
    Grey Knight Brother Captain (psychic hood)
    Aw yeah.

Company Command (Colonel Straken)
    Aw yeah. Straken really is a beast.

2xPriests
    Meh; there's no harm to be done by keeping these Priests, but against the kinds of things you'd normally charge with your GK Termies the rerolls aren't necessary. I'd drop one, keep the other, and attatch him to Straken's squad; the Colonel is the closest thing the Guard have to a close combat monster, however the Vets he drags around with him really don't like to hit things in CC. They'll benefit far more from the rerolls than the Termies.

Elite:
    Grey Knight Brother Captain
    Aw yeah.

Troop:
    Troop:
    Veteran Squad
    Veteran Squad
    Veteran Squad
    I'd bulk out your Troops section; Chimeras are great, but they're hardly the most stalwart of vehicles and given the zooming around you'll be doing trying to contest objectives and whatnot with those two lonely Veteran squads the AV10 sides will be exposed a lot to things that can kill them. Things like Tactical Squad bolters, or a loud sneeze.

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta Gunship
    Vendetta Gunship
    Vendetta Gunship
    Swap these for Rocket Pod Valkyries. The Pods count as Defensive Weapons despite using the Large Blast template, thus allowing your Valkyrie to move 12" and fire ALL of it's weapons, making it an absolute star for whittling down infantry. If you're really concerned about AT then you could also put a lascannon on the front, but I'd leave the Multilaser.

Heavy Support:
    Leman Russ Demolisher
    Leman Russ Demolisher
    As much as I love these fat little pug-faced beasts, Demolishers really aren't the best compliment to a fast-moving assault-oriented army. The last couple of games I've played against the Guard I found it fairly easy to drag his forces away from the cover of his Russ' templates; and these Russes had 72" Battlecannons on them. Imagine how easy it's going to be for someone to pull your goons away from the Demolishers, whose maximum range is 30", especially considering your army is assault-oriented and thus is likely to be moving away from them anyway.

I'd maybe suggest Medusas instead, but again, I dunno if I'd really want a load of S10 templates dropping all over the place while my eye-wateringly expensive Terminators are assaulting things in the vicinity.

Hydra Flak tank
    The Hydra... meh. I dunno if I could justify filling up a Heavy Support slot for the sake of negating a 50-50 cover save, especially not when the weapon it's negating that save with is a crappy twin-linked Autocannon that requires a 5 to Glance most Fast vehicles and doesn't ignore the 3+ armour save most Bikers get from their rides. I'd dump it and take something else.

This list seems really cool in my eyes, but i might have missed something, so any C&C is truly welcome!
    It is a cool list, no doubt about that. Vendettas, Demolishers, Grey Knight Terminators, Straken; what more could you want?

That may be where you're falling down, though. There's a lot of cool stuff here, but not much of a solid, dependable core to it. I'd suggest taking one of two routes with the list; either build it around the Grey Knights, or build it around the Demolishers. The former is going to be a bit of a glass cannon, since it'll involve a small force with lots of Fast vehicles and Veteran Squads in Chimeras (plus Marbo; no good assaulty army is complete without Marbo), whilst the latter will involve lots of ponderous crawling along behind the Russes as they Large Blast their across the board. If you're going to stick with the Demolishers I'd drop the Terminators altogether and take a couple of power-armoured Grey Knight squads as Troops choices. As scoring units go they're some of the best, and what's more they can go in the Vendettas, which can Scout forward 24" and drop their Shrouded hides off anywhere you fancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Thanks for the constructive answers!

The priests are meant to join my Terminators alright.

Mounting the Terminators in the Vendettas will only be an issue versus a REALLY defensive shooting army (Tau or other IG), otherwise they are better off riding the Chimeras or even footslogging.

I really need more Troops, so the Hydra will most likely go, and the Demolishers are definately interchangable for something else more suited for supporting my main line but id like some big scary AV14 monsters to draw AT fire from my weaker tanks (and Vendettas).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I really need more Troops, so the Hydra will most likely go, and the Demolishers are definately interchangable for something else more suited for supporting my main line but id like some big scary AV14 monsters to draw AT fire from my weaker tanks (and Vendettas).
    In that case I'd take a couple of regular Russes with Plasma Cannon sponsons; the templates pretty much negate the disadvantage of BS3 and the Battlecannon will make it that much more difficult for the tanks to lose touch with the rest of your army. It can still happen though, so be careful where you deploy them.

You need to trim it down a bit if you want to get more scoring units in there and I'd suggest starting with the Priests; there's no real way to describe just how little the Terminators need those rerolls. Drop them, give Straken's Chimera to your 3rd Veteran squad, take the Extra Armour off all three and you've suddenly got yourself 135 points; enough for a fourth Veteran squad with a Heavy Stubber Chimera to ride in.

EDIT: As far as mounting your forward units goes, Chimeras are never the answer. The Vendettas can make a 24" Scout move, thus if you end up with the first turn you can zoom them to within 12" of any visible enemies, then dismount the Termies and Straken at the start of turn one; that allows your Termies and Vendettas to act normally for the rest of the turn, meaning your Furious Charging Termies are in CC on turn one and your Vendettas can do whatever they like
    Last edited by Frank Fugger; May 20th, 2009 at 11:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    EDIT: As far as mounting your forward units goes, Chimeras are never the answer. The Vendettas can make a 24" Scout move, thus if you end up with the first turn you can zoom them to within 12" of any visible enemies, then dismount the Termies and Straken at the start of turn one; that allows your Termies and Vendettas to act normally for the rest of the turn, meaning your Furious Charging Termies are in CC on turn one and your Vendettas can do whatever they like
    Have you seen any FAQ on this?
    A unit with Scout rule confers the rule to any Transport they ride in, but NOT the other way around.

So the Valkyrie/Vendetta can totally go 24" inch before first turn, but NOT deploy its squad (since its the squad itself that is disembarking in its Movememnt phase and they dont get a scout move).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

235 (x6)

So the Valkyrie/Vendetta can totally go 24" inch before first turn, but NOT deploy its squad (since its the squad itself that is disembarking in its Movememnt phase and they dont get a scout move).
    Yes, but you don't disembark the squads during the Scout move because, as you said, they can't do that since Terminators and Strakens don't have the Scout rule.

Instead, what you do is make the Scout move and leave the vehicle sitting 12" away from whatever you want to assault. Then, at the start of the movement phase in turn one, you disembark the squads; the vehicle counts as stationary because the Scout move is made seperately from the normal game sequence, and thus has no bearing whatsoever on the normal turn of events. Because the squads disembarked from a stationary vehicle they can still move, shoot and assault as normal (p.67 of the BRB, under the heading "Disembarking"), and the vehicle can likewise do whatever it wants. Including Flat-Outing 24" back to your lines to pick up another squad.

This little gem is one of the reasons people complain about people who put Grey Knight Terminators in Valkyries and Vendettas. Nobody likes to have GKTs in combat on turn one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    Because the squads disembarked from a stationary vehicle they can still move, shoot and assault as normal (p.67 of the BRB, under the heading "Disembarking"), and the vehicle can likewise do whatever it wants.
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

+ Reply to Thread