1850 Competitive (please rip to shreds) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

1850 Competitive (please rip to shreds)

Ok I know I posted a list not long ago but I've revised it quite a bit so I'm posting another one. Please tell me what you think.

HQ 175
    CO, power weapon
    Officer of the fleet
    Astropath
    Chimera w ML&HB
    HEAVY 660
    Leman Demo, Plasma side sponsors, Extra armor
    FAST 120
    Scout Sentinel Squadron w Autocannons x 3
    ELITES 70
    Ratlings x 7
    TROOPS 825
    CPT Pershing (counts as Al'rahiem) Med pack, 3 Grenade launchers
    Infantry squad, Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher
    PL, Mortar, Flamer
    PL, Mortar, Flamer

Same tactics for the most part. 70 guardsmen + the HQ and ratlings set up to hold objectives and engage the enemy blah blah blah, 3 Leman Russ demolishers lumber forward spewing plasma and demo cannons, 35 flanking guardsmen show up turn 2 or 3 hopefully.

I know the power weapon on the CO is a little wasteful but I already have a great model for him. I haven't built Pershing yet but the power sword CO I have wouldn't quite do. What do you guys think? Is this legal? Is it weak? I know this isn't the fluff forum but if you want to complain about that too please do. Constructive critisizm is always appreaciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

A platoon can only have 5 infantry squads, you have 9. Also, 1 platoon = 1 Troops choice, so you'll need another.

Al'Rahem is trash. Infantry squads shouldn't be outflanking, their job is to sit tight and blast away. If you want to outflank, use Sentinels, Valks/Vends, or Penal Troops. If you want mobile infantry, use Vets.

Re-jig your Troops and HQ to support each other and you should do well. You've got lots of pie plates, but not much to bust tanks, so go from there.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    A platoon can only have 5 infantry squads, you have 9. Also, 1 platoon = 1 Troops choice, so you'll need another.
    There are three "PLs." 3 platoons with 3 squads a piece for 3 troop choices.

Al'Rahem is trash. Infantry squads shouldn't be outflanking, their job is to sit tight and blast away. If you want to outflank, use Sentinels, Valks/Vends, or Penal Troops. If you want mobile infantry, use Vets.
    I don't plan on using Al in games smaller than 1500. With 70 guardsmen already on the table, sitting tight and blasting away for the most part (I am sure I will barely have room for them on some missions) I think it might be smart to castle 35 more somewhere else.

edit* I do agree that he is trash in smaller games or when you don't have a gunline in the first place.

Re-jig your Troops and HQ to support each other and you should do well. You've got lots of pie plates, but not much to bust tanks, so go from there.
    Do you really think I need more AT with 3 demolishers and 9 missile launchers? What anti-tank would be better? What HQ might be better?

edit* I do like to focus on troops/scoring units and ignore some tanks. I should be able to hurt hammerheads (AR13) with my infantry and by the time the demo lumber in range they can hurt anything.
    Last edited by YounGunner; May 22nd, 2009 at 19:13.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

It's a good all-rounder list. The main tweak I would recommend is to take off the heavy weapons in Pershing's platoon and upgrade the GL's to plasma guns. They'll be fighting in very close quarters, so I think the additional stopping power is worth the loss in range. I also think that, between starting in reserves and moving onto the board, they won't have enough time to fire a heavy weapon. Spend any extra points on CC upgrades for Pershing's platoon, too--I can almost gaurantee the enemy will try to charge you as you go after his home objective. If you need a few extra points then try changing the Demolisher plascans to multimeltas; they work rather well with the Lumbering Behemoth rule.

The ratlings don't really have a place in a list with so many models. I'd rather see a stromtrooper squad in their place to help the outflankers but I'm not sure they'd be worth the loss of a squad to afford them. I guess the Ratlings are fine.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    It's a good all-rounder list. The main tweak I would recommend is to take off the heavy weapons in Pershing's platoon and upgrade the GL's to plasma guns. They'll be fighting in very close quarters, so I think the additional stopping power is worth the loss in range. I also think that, between starting in reserves and moving onto the board, they won't have enough time to fire a heavy weapon. Spend any extra points on CC upgrades for Pershing's platoon, too--I can almost gaurantee the enemy will try to charge you as you go after his home objective. If you need a few extra points then try changing the Demolisher plascans to multimeltas; they work rather well with the Lumbering Behemoth rule.

The ratlings don't really have a place in a list with so many models. I'd rather see a stromtrooper squad in their place to help the outflankers but I'm not sure they'd be worth the loss of a squad to afford them. I guess the Ratlings are fine.
    I could tweak Pershing's platoon like you said. That might be smart. I will definitely look into that. The thing about bring missile launchers though is that I can choose to set up away from real CC enemies, sort of like this. Then if I take down the close enemies I can still shoot the distant ones if they aren't to far away. Making Pershing a vicious CC squad might help out. I could bring them a little closer to bad stuff. I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the input.

F
    F
    F EE EEEE

L L
    FFF FFF
    Last edited by YounGunner; May 22nd, 2009 at 19:41.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

This army isn't going to be very good against Guard. 3 demolishers are your only anti AV 14. A Land Raider will rock you pretty handily.

Do you already own the models? I don't like MLs and you have 9 of them (3 in squads that will be off-board or walking most of the game) I'd drop the flanking MLs and add meltaguns.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

I have to disagree about Al'rahem, I have had great success with a 25man platoon outflanking (AC/melta infantry squads, and flamers in the PCS). He gives great orders (BiD!) can take out armor and take objectives. I don't use him in my competitive mech list, but he is a solid choice for a more infantry heavy list imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Thanks for all of the great input so far everybody. What I am really hearing so far is that the outflanking platoon should change slightly. I am a little nervous over the whole issue because honestly, I have never used him (AL). My original plan was to have a vicious gunline (77 "gaurdsmen" 3 demolishers, 1 chimera, 7 ratlings) and then a third (the first two being the platoons that set up normally) "castle" platoon come on board with sentinel support, not necessarily doing tons of immediate damage but splitting my enemies forces even more. Sort of like whole new second gunline. What I am hearing you guys suggesting is to give Pershing's platoon very close ranged AT and AS weapons and smash something with them instead of castling.

Yeah I love Missile launchers. They got took down a notch point wise with the new dex but at the same time with how durable vehicles can be in 5th ed I think it's nice to have them. Frag missiles aren't half bad either. (lascannons are sort of robbery imo for the points) To be completely honoest my main reason for them is they look really good the way I model them in infantry squads (imo). It's a mobile look with no tripod and all. I'd post pics but I've just ripped them up a bit to put them on the big bases.

+ Reply to Thread