1850 Space Wolves casulal play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x4)

1850 Space Wolves casulal play

Here is what I'm planning on building towards at 1850 with my SW project. I know it's not an overly hard list, but it has the right feel for me.

VenDread w/ Assault cannon, Heavy Flamer, Extra armor- 170

Rune Priest- Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Runic charm, Frag grenades, Melta bombs- 126

Wolf Lord- Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Runic charm, Frag grenades, Melta bombs- 121

6 Grey Hunters- 5 Bolters, 1 Power weapon, Plasmagun- 169
    Razorback TLHB

6 Grey Hunters- 5 Bolters, 1 Powerfist, Plasmagun - 169
    Razorback TLHB

15 Blood Claws- 1 Flamer, 1 Power weapon, 2 Powerfists- 248

8 Grey Hunters- 7 bolters, Meltagun, 1 Power weapon and 1 Powerfist- 213
    Rhino

9 Grey Hunters- 8 bolters, Meltagun, 1 Power weapon and 1 Powerfist- 231
    Rhino

Predator Destructor- Lascannon sponsons- 120

Whirlwind- 85

5 Long Fangs- 1 Heavy Bolter, 2 Missile Launchers, 1 Lascannon - 198

1850 total

I know that not many people are fond of Long Fangs, but I love 'em in casual lists. Which is what this is meant to be.

Now if this list were gonna be tweaked for a tournament I'd do the following.

I'd drop the LF's and my BCs down to 11 keeping the PWs as is, add the RP and put them all in a standard Land Raider. It should make them some tough SOB's to kill.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x2)

I am in the process of making a SW army as well, specifically the 13th Company. I know your list is casual but it really looks...loopy to me. On a personal level I usually build in odd number squads that are all the same, so seeing the two 6 man units, the one 8, and the one 9 kinda caught me off guard.

I got some good advice earlier today, and with one attack on the Grey Hunters that P.Fist is a little expensive, on the charge sure it'd be great, but as a defensive tool against someone sticking an AV block in them it could take a while to level the beast. What I did was stick a Wolf Guard in each squad with a P.Fist, good WS and 2 attacks allows him to lay the smackdown and provide a tough as nails leader for the squad. Point cost is...expensive, but he should make his points back regardless. I am tempted to give him the Wolf item that allows him to get the +1 attack during a counter-charge, think it would be useful.

Another cool unit that is very good for SW's is a Wolf Scout unit with Melta Bombs to come in from the back and own some tanks. Cheap unit, takes an Elite slot so doesn't eat into the infantry, and it's a very characterful looking group done right.

If I take LF's, I usually do either four of the same weapon, or take two different ones for two guys each. Since all three of your guns can't shoot at three separate targets, and all the guns do something differently, it helps make it a little easier. My favorites are: 4x Heavy Bolters, 2x ML's/Lascannons, and 4x ML's for lulz factor. Not saying you wouldn't have success with what you got, but giving the unit a more defined role will have them perform better.

Other than that everything looks alright, never thought of using a Whirlwind with SW's, might give that a shot.

Hope that helps you out, and I love what you are doing with the SW blog, took some inspiration from that and ran with it.

-K
    Last edited by Stunted_Merc; May 25th, 2009 at 12:00.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

The small grey hunter units seem a bit weird to me, but thats just because I'm used to see them as 8+ rather than min-sized. Overall it looks fairly good. I'd say replace the power weapons with more powerfists but thats about it.

The thing about powerfists is that you can still counter attack with them. That means that if you're tru-gritting a unit then on the charge or when you get charged you would have the same number of attacks with a PF as you would with a PW. You can drop a single grey hunter to have enough points to upgrade 3 PWs to PFs and still have a couple of points left over.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Ahhh....no scouts? Their OBEL is the best in 40k.

Dunno about the HB razorbacks. IMO lascannons work better there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

I think Long Fangs work rather well. I usually use them with 1xHB, 1xPC, 1xML, and 1xLC. Usually I will send the HB/PC anti-infantry and the ML/LC anti-armor. Works pretty well for me.
    I also have been using a Whirlwind for my Wolves. Works wonders. I just stick it behind some cover and go indirect all the time. Perfect. Its safe and deadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x4)

Thanks for the great feedback! While the list is for casual play I still want it to be competitive to some degree.

Stunted_Merc, The list is loopy!?! I started out wanting the GHs at 2x6 and 2x9. I eventually dropped one to upgrade a WGBL to the WL.

WG pack leaders are just too expensive to use under 2000 points IMHO. I know that with only 1 Fist attack currently AVs will be a hassle, but with the new dex coming I imagine free Kraks are in our future.

I really love Wolf Scouts but Ive decided to take a break from them. This is because Ive been challenged by my gaming group to make Wolves work without them. When I go back to using WSs Ill drop the WW, a GH, and possibly a BC to fit them in.

I have used this LF config since 2nd ed so I am quite fond of it.

I added the WW just for the pie plate to help with horde armies and its a Kool model.

Phalanx, I will never spam PFs its just not my thing, besides I like having a PW put some hurt out before the fist.

Jy2, The HB RBs are there to throw out dice as fire support for my midranged GHs.

+ Reply to Thread