1500pt anti-armour army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt anti-armour army

after the release of the new guard codex, my friend ho i usually play 40k with has updated his army to consist ofabout 9 tanks i think, which are leman russ and basillisk heavy i needed to rethink the setup of my army to kill his tanks and also lay it down to his infintry, and heres what i came up with and so far it works, however any suggestions are welcome

HQ
    -Pedro Kantor - 155 pts

Elites
    -10 sternguard - 295 pts
    -2 melta-guns
    -Drop Pod

Dreadnought 170 pts
    -twin-linked lascannon
    -heavy flamer

Troops
    -5 scouts 75 pts
    - all boltguns
    -5 scouts 75 pts
    - all snipers

Fast Attack
    -Bike Squad (3 models) 100 pts
    -1 melta gun
    -Land Speeder 100 pts
    -multi melta
    -autocannon
    -5 man Assault Squad 100 pts

Heavy Support
    -10 man Dev. Squad 265 pts
    -4x 10pts weapons
    -Rhino roop Transport

Predator Annihilator 165 pts
    -Lascannon sponsons

Total : 1500 pts

tactics are pretty obvious for this i hope. i use he 2nd half of the dev squad and the sternguard in place of tactical squads. sternguard are dropped in (with kantor) behind tanks (if on second turn), split into combat squads and aim at tanks with melta guns, or on weaker tanks fire at rear armour with kraken bolts for some glancing hits . or use their special amunition that either is higher AP than enemys armour or ignores cover saves. kantor gives sternguard ability to take and hold objectives (and brings their base close combat attacks to 3 without charging per veteran), but i use the scouts to sit on objectives usually.
    Bike squad and land speeder are turbo boosted towards tanks and hope my cover save works if they get fired on (), while the dreadnought advances slowly with covering lascannon fire and the predator sits at the back only moving for LOS as do the heavy weapons half of the dev squad.
    The rhino and assault squad push up the table engaging infintry as needed, and i occasionally use the assault mariens to chage tanks with krak grenades if things are going well

faber est quisque fortunae suae. aut viam inveniam aut faciam

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surely someone wants to tell me how to improve it

unless its perfect, which i highly doubt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its prety good but i would drop the bike squad and take a thunderfire cannon for the rest i would drop some upgrades and take a rhino for the sternguard and give them combi melta's other then melta guns they got the special amuntion for free other wise you don't make use of hold the line and special amuntion
    yet me know how you do
    good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Just remember if he is running his tanks in squadrons, immobilized results turn into a destroyed result. That will make your job a little easier.
    Also, is that a typo when you say your land speeder has an autocannon? Do you mean an assault cannon? I'd almost say just run the speeder with MM/HF and use the extra points for something else.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Three thoughts from an IG general here. One, you've got the wrong strategy entirely--no Space Marine army is going to win a ranged battle of attrition against the Imperial Guard. Get in close and fight hand-to-hand! Notice that most/all of your Marines come with krak grenades as standard equipment. That's all you need to take out a Russ. Bring more assault Marines and bikes, fewer Landspeeders and no Devastator squad. Remember that, when you place a template, you cannot have any friendly models underneath it. If you're close enough then he'll have trouble hitting you even if you're in the open--and even if he doesn't, one bad scatter will frag his own units instead of yours.

Two, you need more scoring units. You have the bare minimum plus a suicide drop-podder that won't last longer than one volley because they'll be off by themselves. Lose the Dreadnought to afford more...in fact, you may want to bring no vehicles more expensive than a Razorback at all.

As an experiment, try 3 tactical squads with no equipment except powerfists, in drop pods. It isn't fancy but they'll put a surprisingly big dent into the IG lines.

Three, if your opponent is fitting 9 tanks into 1500 points then he will probably have the same lack of scoring units that you do. Priority target! If you can kill all of his scoring units then the best he can hope for in objective games is a tie.

Always play to the strengths of your army; never try to beat your opponent's strengths. Marines are mobile, versatile and durable against antipersonnel weapons. Move quickly, get stuck in and exploit your opponent's weaknesses: weak CC, low leadership and vulnerability to bolters.
    Last edited by Intrepid; June 3rd, 2009 at 23:23.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This army is all over the place. Two Scout Squads are going to get eaten alive and then poof no scoring units. You need Multi Melta Attack bikes best tank busters for the space Marines. Put the dred in a drop pod drop the lascannon go with Melta. That AP1 is your friend against guard makes any result of 3+ instant kill for squadrons.
    If you love kittens you will love http://bloodofkittens.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol at out shooting gaurd as effective as rocks at tanks, get in close get there fast if i'm fighting gaurd i run pods and pray to jebus he deploys in reserves all but 2 units of my army is on first turn he has too hope he doesn't flunk reserve roles or its piece meal, which is a 3 course meal for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, tbh with a minor adjustment to that list i whooped him, maybe just good rolling or sth,

@path my sternguard are scoring units aswell with kantor. i drop em at the back (too close to his tanks for him to risk shooting me lol) shoot some rear armour then get em stuck into close combat so they dont die and then take his objectives.

@MC yes it was a silly typo lol. its the only land speeder i have for the next few weeks, (till payday )

but tbh my mate plays any game as if it was annihilation lol, he doesnt give a crap about his infantry, he effectively thrust them at me so i have to kill them.

on a side note, do his hell hound have to have full line of sight of the template to fire?? cos he was firing round corners of buildings to squads he couldnt see.

but theres some very good points here and i will take them all into consideration, it just seems a bit silly going anti infantry with stuff when he has 2 squads of infantry. after that getting close to his tanks is a ball ache, cos he has no objection to point blank fire lol. also i didnt know how bad deathstrike missiles were ap1 all around the blast wtf.

but i will swap and change around more purely because it was only my victory cos the scouts pretty much went to ground most of the game, besides assaulting 1 of his infantry squads to contest an objective lol, and the terrain was a huge advantage for me lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just thought of something i can do with your idea intrepid lol. drop pod some marines behind his russ's use sicarius instead of kantor and give that squad tank hunters. 20 rapid fire shots into rear armour of 10 glancing on 5s and penetrating on 6 does quite a bit of damage it seems after a few practice rolls lol

+ Reply to Thread