Imperial Guard 500pts starting army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard 500pts starting army.

This is my first Imperial Guard army list and is supposed to be the beginning of my army.

Company command squad - 55
    Mortar
    -----------

Infantry Platoon

Platoon command squad - 35
    Mortar
    ---------------

Infantry squad 1 - 70
    Missile launcher
    Grenade launcher
    ------------------------

Infantry squad 2 - 65
    Heavy bolter
    Grenade launcher
    -------------------

Veteran squad - 100
    Lascannon
    Grenade launcher x2
    ------------------

Chimera - 55
    ML
    HB
    ---------

Ratlings x 5 - 50
    --------------

If I havent miscalculated it should be 430 pts. I want to add a sentinel but I don’t know which weapon configuration to use or to make it armoured or not either. Im thinking either a missile launcher or autocannon. I don’t know which squad the chimera should be assigned to.

My general idea for my first 500 pts of Imperial guard Is that it should be fairly good to play with but still include something other than regular guardsmen to keep me painting. This being ratlings, a chimera and a sentinel.

What are your thoughts on the list? What would you change?

Last edited by -WhiteDog-; June 3rd, 2009 at 11:56.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Well first off lose the weapon costs on this list. The mods dont like that. I do advise getting rid of the Heavy Bolter and going with the Missile launcher. In smaller games its better to have weapons that can tackle multiple jobs. Now for the Sentinels I would either go with the multilaser or the autocannon. Something that can lay down some sort of fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I edited the points. Which squad should go in the chimera and should i make the sentinel armoured or not?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Heya mate, Yeah i'd go for two scout sentinels with multilasers. They can outflank and 6 str 6 shots should be enough to ruin a tanks day if you get on the side armour, or ruin a squad sitting back holding an objective. don't forget sentinels (more so armoured sentinels) are great at holding up the enemy in combat. So if needs must jump them in combat to hold a unit up from assaulting you or shooting you with heavy weapons.

The Chimera is a pretty good and cheap weapons bunker for it's points. With the equipment it's got its best sat back shooting stuff and then running a unit towards an objective in the last couple of turns. You could give it to your Company Command to give them a little extra protection from enemy fire or to a troops choice so you can go grab some objectives.

Something thats quite popular is to give a platoon command squad some assault weapons and then have them ride around in a chimera, they're cheap, they've got access to lots of weapons and more importantly they're a scoring unit.

Hope thats a few ideas anyway. Have you got access to anyother weaponry/units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advices! The only models I have bought are 20 cadians, but I thought I would get an allright army list before I bought "useless" stuff. How are sentinels with multilasers in bigger games, the same or would you have them use an autocannon instead? And when is it worth to make it armoured? The final question i have is if heavy weapons also can shoot from the top of the chimera or if its just the special ones/lasguns, and if so, even on the move?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if all you have purchased so far is 20 cadians, you'll probably get the most bang for your buck buying a battle force, a chimera, and a sentinel to add to it. you get another 20 cadians, the command squad, a heavy weapons squad and a sentinel in the new battleforce. That just leaves a second sentinel and a chimera kit to round out this list! Oh and ratlings, just saw those =)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

You you can't go wrong with the battle force. It's as good a starting points as any and saves even more cash now with the price rise and all. If you use the spare parts from the tank-commander/command sprue you should easily be able to make the platoon command and vets out of the one command squad.

The final question i have is if heavy weapons also can shoot from the top of the chimera or if its just the special ones/lasguns, and if so, even on the move?
    A heavy weapon can shoot out of the top but if the tank moves the squad counts as moving. So Rapid fire weeapons will go to a 12" range, HEavy weapons can't fire etc etc....

How are sentinels with multilasers in bigger games, the same or would you have them use an autocannon instead?
    In bigger games it depends what you've got in the rest of your force. If you army is lacking in anti-tank then kit them out with lascannons or autocannons. If your list is lacking anti hoard then equip them with heavy flamers/ multilasers etc. Autocannons are cheap and a good allrounder weapon but they wont really excell at either.

Armoured Sentinels are great if you're going up close and personal with heavy flamers. You can use them to hold up enemy infantry in combat. Not many people can cope with armour 12 in hand to hand so you can hold up an enemy unit for turns if not the whole game if they're not equiped with a powerfist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aha, that makes sense. Thanks for the good answers! Then I got something to think about!

+ Reply to Thread