Another 500 point SM newb question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another 500 point SM newb question

Okay, so im starting to play 40K again after taking a LONG break for Warzone and Hordes. I am looking to start with 500 points and expand from there, so far this is what I am thinking to start with, but am looking for some feedback.

HQ:
    Chaplain 100pts

Troops:
    Tactical Squad (10 ) 170pts
    Flamer
    Rocket launcher

Rhino 35pts

Troops:
    Assault Marines (9)197pts
    No jump packs
    Power Fist

Rhino 0pts

Total 502pts

This is trying to get the benefits of the chappy without the fast attack. I guess the other way would be to cut the unit sizes and maybe switch out for small group of scouts, but then I dont have enough points to give the chappy a jump pack and keep the sgt with a power fist.

I guess i could use blood angels but i hate red!

Please provide some input. probably just fighting some bugs with mostly gaunts and other vanilla SM for now.

Last edited by Psybilliah; June 5th, 2009 at 05:51. Reason: changed point totals

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which SM codex do you plan to use? At the moment you also do not fulfill the general requirements of 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices in an army.

Assuming you will get that sorted later on, Assault Marines generally are best used with jump packs. I can imagine a few (rare) occasions when you actually want that free Rhino, but general practice is to use them with jump packs. Attach a jump pack on the Chaplain as well, since he goes well with the Assault Marines. I am even leaning towards removing an Assault Marine or two, just to make sure the Chaplain gets his jump pack.

For your Tactical Marines, I personally use Powerfists on nearly every sergeant I have, but for 500 point games you can probably skip one and focus on making them shooty.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I can't really add anything Firaya hasn't already said, but I will emphasise that Rhino mounted Assault Squads are so incredibly bad.

Aside the from fact a Rhino isn't an assault vehicle, consider that you're dropping 9 jump packs (@10 points each) for a 35 point Rhino.

Drop an assault marine, get your JPs back, and give the chappy one (assuming you'll be playing this list in a game that doesn't require 2 troops choices, in which case get a 2nd tactical squad armed with Plasma cannon and Meltagun)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am using 5th edition. Thanks for the feedback guys. The assault marines count as a troop choice if they dont have jump packs or if you are fielding blood angels. They also come with a free Rhino if you do that. This was just me trying to squeeze in a chappy with assault troops into a 500 point game.

Any alt suggestions on build to hit 500 and stay legal? cut down on all squad sizes?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Assault Squads are Fast Attack even if you give them a Rhino. You could always use the Blood Angel codex (it's free on the GW site), but the point costs will be higher.

I'd take:

Chaplain (100)
    Tactical Squad (10 men) w/ Melta, CombiMelta, Missile Launcher + Powerfist (210)
    Scout Squad (5 men) w/ Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks + Heavy Bolter (100)
    Razorback (40)
    Attack Bike w/ MM (50)

Scouts and ML Combat Squad hang back on objectives, Razorback takes the Chaplain and the Melta Combat Squad up into another objective (remember your smoke launchers!) and the Attack Bike belts it forward into cover ready to pop out and melt a tank on turn 2.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where can i download that codex on the website? I searched but no luck. BTW, thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. Oh wait nevermind I found it.
    Last edited by Psybilliah; June 5th, 2009 at 19:42.

+ Reply to Thread