2000pt Imperial Guard TAC - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt Imperial Guard TAC

HQ 1: Company Command Squad - 180 pts
    -Officer
    -2 Veterans w/ Plasmagun x2
    -Medic
    -Standard Bearer
    Transport: Chimera
    -Multi-Laser, Hull Heavy Flamer

Elite 1: Guardsman Marbo - 65 pts

Troop 1: Infantry Platoon - 250 pts
    -Platoon Command w/ Flamer x2
    -Infantry Squad w/ Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher

Troop 2: Infantry Platoon - 250 pts
    -Platoon Command w/ Flamer x2

Troop 3: Veterans Squad - 135 pts
    -10 Veterans w/ Lascannon, Plasmagun x3

Troop 4: Veterans Squad - 135 pts
    -10 Veterans w/ Lascannon, Plasmagun x3

Troop 5: Veterans Squad - 130 pts
    -10 Veterans w/ Heavy Flamer, Flamer x2, Demolitions

Troop 6: Veterans Squad - 130 pts
    -10 Veterans w/ Heavy Flamer, Flamer x2, Demolitions

Fast Attack 1: Valkaryie - 130 pts
    -Multi-Laser, Multiple Rocket Pods

Fast Attack 2: Valkaryie - 130 pts
    -Multi-Laser, Multiple Rocket Pods

Fast Attack 3: Amoured Sentinel Squadron - 243 pts
    -3 Sentinels w/ Plasma Cannon x3, Smoke Launcher x3, Searchlight x3

Heavy Support 1: Leman Russ Vanquisher - 220 pts
    -Hull Lascannon, Knight Commander Pask

Total List Value: 1998/2000

Note: I realize Searchlights are extremely situational, but I added them to the Sentinels in the event that night fighting is rolled, so that I have the ability to light up a squad if need be, as well as the searchlights on the chimera and Leman Russ.

Thoughts and/or Criticisms?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

I think you don't have nearly enough anti-armor. Yes, Pask Vanquisher is good. But that's all you have. Not only can you only target 1 piece of armor per turn, but if they take him out, you can call it a day. At 2000 points you can expect people to bring several tanks, especially other IG.

Oh. Just noticed you also have 2 lascannons in your vet chims. Still not enough, I feel. You could throw in some special weapon squads with meltas into your Valks to drop off next to armor and toast it. Or just gives some of your vets the meltas. BS4 melta is great anti armor. Meltas are very cheap in the new codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true. Let me point out the anti armour I have in here.

6 Missile Launchers (which when fired at S8 Krak can deal with armour)
    2 Lascannons for heavy, joined with 6 plasmaguns for killing AV 13 or less at 24"
    2 DEMOLITIONS veterans squads, which includes demo packs, and melta bombs all around loading up in Valks.
    3 Plasma Cannons for AV 13 or less
    1 Vanquisher w/ Pask and Lascannon

not every list in existance has to be melta-love =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

I agree with you on the meltas. Not every IG list has to surround its self with a melta.

The only thing I found that this list can do without were the sentinels and the medic. The medic isnt really worth his points. It just turned out that way. The sentinels you can get rid of and field another infantry platoon that is beefed up.

Overall its a very good list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Plasma is NOT good anti armor. It's anti heavy infantry.. or like.. AV10 stuff. Plasma has to roll a 5 or a 6 to do anything to AV12/13, and even then it's no guarantee you'll do anything worthwhile. Plasma cannons are even worse vs armor at BS3 and no rapid fire. Not to say plasma isn't important. Very important vs heavy infantry/monstrous creatures.

Demo packs are iffy vs armor. If it scatters enough that the center isn't over the model, it's wasted. And melta bombs? Nobody's going to let you assault their armor. Unless of course someone deepstrikes a dread in your lines. You can't drop out of a valk and assault on the same turn. They'll get blown away if the opponent knows what's good for em.

At 2000 points you expect things like.. 3 Russ tanks. 2 or 3 Land Raiders. 10 Chimeras. Venerable dreads a-plenty. Those Marine tanks with the Demolisher cannon. Things like that.

I guess it just comes down to me not trusting missile launchers. That strength is just too low to effectively deal with heavy armor.

Them's my opinions. Who knows. Try it out and tell me how the list does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously running with a theme here but yeah not enough anti-armour... I like plasma guns and they should definitely stay but on the two verteran squads I assume are coming down in the valks I would really consider s melta as a replacement for the flamers. altenatively you could go with vendettas instead of valkyries to add 6 twin lascannons to your arsenal...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid-Blue View Post
    not every list in existance has to be melta-love =P
    The smart ones are.

Missile Launchers and Lascannons are best used for popping Rhinos and Chimeras. They will usually only scratch the paint on a Russ, or worse - a Land Raider. I've shot 9 lascannons for 6 turns at Land Raiders and only managed a couple of stun results for my trouble. You'll need meltas and multi-meltas to have any hope of taking AV14 down when you need to.

Put another way:

3 BS4 meltaguns have a 62.98% chance of killing AV14 when firing at 6 inches, or 58.35% at 12 inches. While 3 BS4 Lascannons have only an 11% chance of doing the same from across the table. Missile Launchers can only hope to glance AV14.

Melta Bombs are assault-only. So forget about using them in the same turn you jump out of a Valk. The enemy will either move or shoot you up before you get to use them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by kgoreham View Post
    The smart ones are.

Missile Launchers and Lascannons are best used for popping Rhinos and Chimeras. They will usually only scratch the paint on a Russ, or worse - a Land Raider. I've shot 9 lascannons for 6 turns at Land Raiders and only managed a couple of stun results for my trouble. You'll need meltas and multi-meltas to have any hope of taking AV14 down when you need to.

Put another way:

3 BS4 meltaguns have a 62.98% chance of killing AV14 when firing at 6 inches, or 58.35% at 12 inches. While 3 BS4 Lascannons have only an 11% chance of doing the same from across the table. Missile Launchers can only hope to glance AV14.

Melta Bombs are assault-only. So forget about using them in the same turn you jump out of a Valk. The enemy will either move or shoot you up before you get to use them.
    Well you could say the same about melta guns. To prevent you from getting close enough the target can move farther away or just destroy the chimera causing your squad with meltas to be vulnerable. Now I know the chimera is a good transport but its still a transport. It will increase the lifespan of the squad inside. Most of the targets a melta gun is going after are the ones that can take out a chimera out with less struggle then most things. Now Im not saying its a smart way to go but you dont have to melta spam to do good.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid-Blue View Post
    Fast Attack 3: Amoured Sentinel Squadron - 243 pts
    -3 Sentinels w/ Plasma Cannon x3, Smoke Launcher x3, Searchlight x3

Heavy Support 1: Leman Russ Vanquisher - 220 pts
    -Hull Lascannon, Knight Commander Pask
    Cause for thought. Your Sentinels and Pasks Leman Russ come to a whopping 463pts. If you can find 2 points from somewhere you can get 2 Leman Russ' and a Demolisher in their place.

EDIT: Just noticed you're 2pts under 2000pts.

Now I'm a lover of the armoured sentinel models and i do find them very usefull in my games, especially for holding up things in combat but i really think these boys are too expensive. I'd loose the smoke on them. If these boys aint shooting then you're doing something wrong. Put the 15pts to good use else where on the list.

If you're looking for more long range antitank (as these boys are saying) then you can always go for lascannons on these boys too. Mine always do me proud.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Marrius View Post
    Well you could say the same about melta guns. To prevent you from getting close enough the target can move farther away or just destroy the chimera causing your squad with meltas to be vulnerable. Now I know the chimera is a good transport but its still a transport. It will increase the lifespan of the squad inside. Most of the targets a melta gun is going after are the ones that can take out a chimera out with less struggle then most things. Now Im not saying its a smart way to go but you dont have to melta spam to do good.
    (sigh) Of course the enemy can take out one Chimera. That's why you take things you depend on in pairs or with something else that can back them up if they fail.

Look, a Chimera can move 6" before the vets inside fire. That's a threat range of 18". If you're desperate to kill something and are willing to sacrifice the squad, you can move 12", unload the vets 2", and then fire. For a total threat range of 26". A Hellhound with a hull multi-melta can move 12" before firing. For a threat range of 36". Those are ranges sufficient to kill a Land Raider in mid-field by turn 2 (Remember, he has to advance towards you to do anything.). Forcing the Marines inside to walk into your battlecannons and plasma guns.

There is NOTHING else in the game with that sort of reliable threat vs. AV14. You can be "creative" and "out of the box" all you want. But lascannons, missile launchers, and melta bombs aren't going to get the job done vs. an armored MEQ or Guard list at 2000 pts. Look at the math again. You're 503% more likely to kill a Russ/Raider at 12" (18" - 26" on the move) using 3 meltas than you are with 3 Lascannons. 3 Vet Squads with lascannons costs 270 pts. minimum. One vet squad with 3 meltas in a Chimera costs just 155 pts.

This isn't a contest between equivalent options.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast