1500 Orbital Strike Force - feedback appreciated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

1500 Orbital Strike Force - feedback appreciated

Blood Ravens 5th Company Orbital Strike Force

HQ
    Librarian Brother Antaeus (counts as Tigurius)

Elite
    Dreadnought (Multi Melta, DCCW)
    - Drop Pod

5x Grey Knight Terminators
    - 4 with Nemesis Force Weapons, 1 with Thunder Hammer

Troops
    10x Tactical Squad
    - Drop Pod
    - Multi-Melta, Flamer

10x Tactical Squad
    - Drop Pod
    - Multi-Melta, Flamer

5x Scouts
    - Sniper rifles
    - teleport homer
    - camo cloaks

Fast Attack
    10x Assault Squad
    - Sergeant with Power Sword

Land Speeder
    - multi-melta

3x Scout Bikers
    - Locator beacon

Total: 1500

The idea for this force is not only to deepstrike everything, but to do it with better reliability.
    Essentially, Tigurius' "Gift of Prescience" increases the chances that reserves arrive when you want them (it's also the only counter that I can think of against the IG Master of the Fleet).

Scouts with beacons and homers infiltrate where possible to nullify scattering drop pods. Sure, 'inertial guidance' reduces scatter from impassable terrain and units, but only by the 'minimum amount', so if you're still within 1'' of an enemy unit, you still need to take a mishap test... not pretty :p

Lots of deepstrikers have melta weapons to take an early shot against enemy armour, and scouts lurk around to kill MC's and Wraithlords.

I find that the mix of librarians and drop-pods fit in with the Blood Raven fluff nicely, and I'm starting to give some love back to my old Space Marine army after spending a lot of time with Tyranids, Tau and IG.

Is there any glaring weakness in this force? Thanks in advance for feedback.
    some raven pics

Last edited by redbeef88; June 6th, 2009 at 20:13. Reason: clarification

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by redbeef88 View Post
    5x Grey Knight Terminators
    - 4 with Nemesis Force Weapons, 1 with Thunder Hammer
    Interesting choice! Any reasons? I like the models which is enough of a reason, but I'm still curious I would drop them though, just to fund some extra bits later.
    Troops
    10x Tactical Squad
    - Drop Pod
    - Multi-Melta, Flamer
    10x Tactical Squad
    - Drop Pod
    - Multi-Melta, Flamer
    Powerfists here - currently you've nothing that can hurt a Wraithlord if it decided to charge you.
    5x Scouts
    - Sniper rifles
    - teleport homer
    - camo cloaks
    The Heavy Bolter with Hellfire shells is a bargain, and shouldn't be passed up especially as you're already armed with Heavy 36" weapons. The teleport homer won't work with drop pods btw, only the Grey Knights (so bearing in mind my previous advice you could save points here.
    Fast Attack
    10x Assault Squad
    - Sergeant with Power Sword
    I'd switch these for a Vanguard, with enough locator beacons about you should be able to use Heroic Intervention.

3x Scout Bikers
    - Locator beacon
    These will die so quickly, and with no upgrades other than the beacon they're effectively pointless. If you are going to take them, take them en masse.

In summary:

Drop the Grey Knights, and the Landspeeder.
    Buy Locator Beacons for your Drop Pods.
    Upgrade to Vanguard
    Get a second scout biker unit, and get 3 grenade launchers, Cluster Mines and the Beacon for each, and give the Sergs Power Fists. Then buy as many as you can for each squad.

You can get a 1st turn charge with 2 squads each getting into combat with 2 enemy squads (this will tie up most of their guns), as well as having your DP and a Tactical Squad down adding their weight to the fire. Then your Vanguard (using your locator beacons) and 2nd Tactical show up to slice up the enemy and hold objectives respectively.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

thanks for the advice!
    you're right, Grey Knights seem out-of-place cos I wanted some dangerous 2+ units on the field to draw away the attention. After further thinking, vanguard squads would make more sense as a pre-emptive force as opposed to the reactionary termies.

The changes you mentioned were really helpful re:Wraithlord charge, powerfists are definitely a go .

I'll post up a revision soon, rep for insight!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by redbeef88 View Post
    The changes you mentioned were really helpful re:Wraithlord charge, powerfists are definitely a go .
    It's one of those things you only need to happen to you once
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey red. I've got quite a similar army list, but its Captain+Command Squad in D.Pod, 40 tactical marines in D.Pods, a thunder fire cannon and a 5 man devastator squad with 4 plasma cannons for 1500pts.

I think the majority of you army list looks good, the only problem i have with it are the grey knights. Now i know everyone says they are amazing and all but personal experience has it that just one squad does squat. Personally, and do whatever you want, but i'd get rid of these, which i'm guessing cost nearly 200pts, and either have some sternguard in D.Pod, another Dreddie (could be Venrable Dreddie or Iron Clad Dreddie) or just beaUTIFUL cheap-as predator with maybe twin linked las cannon on top and heavy bolters or visa-versa. They are just my thoughts.
    Have a good one, Tomo

+ Reply to Thread