IG 2000pts 1st list with the new codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

IG 2000pts 1st list with the new codex

I just got the new codex yesterday so I'd appreciate any comments on my first attempt at a 2000pts army.

HQ
    Company command squad 175pts
    Company commnder w/laspistol and close combat weapon
    4 veterans w/plasma guns

Chimera for the above (points cost included in Squad points)
    2x heavy bolters & 1x heavy stubber

Troops
    Veteran Squad 1 w/3 plasma guns and 1 lascannon 135pts
    Veteran Squad 2 w/3 plasma guns and 1 lascannon 135pts
    Veteran Squad 3 w/3 plasma guns and 1 lascannon 135pts
    Veteran Squad 4 w/3 plasma guns and 1 lascannon 190pts
    2x heavy bolters
    Veteran Squad 5 w/3 meltaguns 155pts
    w/2 heavy flamers
    Veteran Squad 6 w/3 meltaguns 155pts
    w/2 heavy flamers

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Squadron 330pts *
    2x Leman Russ Battle tank's w/Lascannons

Leman Russ Squadron 180pts *
    1 Leman Demolisher w/Lascannon

Ordanace battery 405pts
    3x Medusa's w/ heavy flamers

Total: 1995pts

this army isn't designed for tournaments but then the people I play with don't exactly play friendly so any comments to improve it/scrap it and start it again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

*Edited*
    Used to have 3x Leman Russ Vanquisher's in a single squad

Last edited by Chaosmaster; June 12th, 2009 at 17:38.
    and on the 8th day god made a talking poodle and forgot all about us
    The rep button is good

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

You should definitely un-squad something in your heavy support choices just for pure survivability considerations. 3X vanquishers is an odd choice, especially in an army that already has 4x BS4 lascannons and a melta-rush death squad. I think the regular LRBT or demolishers would serve you better over time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Try and split up the Russes, a squadron of three is overkill as they all have to shoot at the same unit and are more vulnerable than as individuals. Split them into 2 groups if possible.

I'd also rather keep the multilasers on the chimeras over the heavy bolters as the lasers are great against light transports. The mounted squads don't have to fire at the same target either so you can go ahead and laser a transport and plasma something else to death. That's just me, though, plasmas can kill the light vehicles well too. They're better against the MEQs, but I can see the HB merits.

I'm personally not a fan of the dual flamers. But hell, if you're going to charge up close being able to roast stuff alive is always a plus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Seconded.

Split up the russes - maybe two LRBT and a separate demolisher?

I'd personally be tempted to prune back on the heavies and find chimeras for the rest of your vets.

Swapping out 1 russ should do it without too much juggling.
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I've just noticed the vanquishers don't have ordinance lol, so they're now standerd LRBT's.
    Thanks for pointing out I should unsquad one too. I love the heavy bolters as the number of times their AP4 seems to count for alot for me is very often. They absolutly masacre tyranid warriors, tau, 'eavy armoured orks and Eldar so whilst the Multilaser's do have an extra S I'll stick with the heavy bolters.
    I do wonder about the wisdom behind the flamers, they're really an emergency option to try and get a swarmed opponent off an objective or something by just flaming them to death. Dual flamers against horde armies really bite but against power armoured targets they're not great. Also if the chimera is close enough to use it's flamers it may well face a power fist next turn so I understand any problems you have with them.

Thanks for all your comments, any more are greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Chaosmaster; June 12th, 2009 at 17:33. Reason: typo
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I

I think your command squad is too juicy. Its a heap of points for five T3 models.

Other than that I think you have some decent stuff here. You have already had plenty of cound advice about dropping the squads of tanks so I won't revisit that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

thanks for pointing out the command squad, that's definately something that needs looking at, almost 10% of my points that would probably die to a round of bolter fire. Their chimera is really for late game objective grabbing so perhaps they'd be better equipped with flamers to just get in their chimera, find a threat and charge it to dismount and flame them before dieing or something similar.
    Chimera's for all my vets does sound fun but since atleast 1 and almost certainly 2 vet squads will die by the late game I won't need a chimera for all of them. Also every turn they're mounted up is a turn they aren't loosing a lascannon shot on something big and scary.
    The rep button is good

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

It is quite legal to shoot the cannon out the top hatch if the Chimera doesn't move The problem is when you get shaken/stunned, either they don't shoot at all or have to disembark and count as moving so still can't shoot the heavy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I know if the Chimera's stationary the lascannon can still shoot out. The problem is that it's incredibly easy to just glance AV 12 and shake it, which + no lascannon with the prompt of stopping a lascannon shot people would be more encouraged to just fire at it.
    Chimera's with heavy bolters kick out a fair amount of fire power on their own, but I've been repeatedly told that since in 5th ed. dedicated transports can run other people around too it's best to have some for moving men to objectives in the last couple of turns, I'd only really keep them mounted to shoot if the opponent has a lot of anti-infantry firepower or for some special reason they're in more damger out of their transport, as losing a whole turns fire cause someone shook your Chimera is annoying
    Last edited by Chaosmaster; June 12th, 2009 at 21:25.
    The rep button is good

+ Reply to Thread