1500 point Salamander, first army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 point Salamander, first army

Ok I collected 40k many years ago and trying to get back into it and dug out all my old marines and bought some new stuff so it didn't look too dusty. I didn't want go ultramarines or DIY really and what I had sort of suited salamanders so thought why not? Was a bit disheartned to find out that they are really popular atm, but meh. Here is what I came up:

Vulkan 190
    Captain with power sword and storm bolter 118
    Command Squad 4 flamer + apothecary + razorback 175

5 Terminators with cyclone 230
    Dreadnought with multi-melta and heavy flamer + drop pod 150

10 man tac squad flamer, multimelta, combiflamer + rhino 215
    10 man tac squad flamer, Missle Launcher, combiflamer + rhino 215
    10 man tac squad flamer, Missle Launcher + rhino 205

Total: 1498

Vulkan and command squad go together, I kinda liked the idea of super flamey squad and command squad was the only way to do it so captain is stuck with terminators.

My problem is this is my first list and I don't really want to win all the time or people to not like playing it so would it be fairly friendly? I already own most of these bits, I have the bit for a whirlwind and 5 assault marines and don't fancy spending anymore money untill I know I want to stay in the hobby this time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Welcome! I know what you mean by them being very popular right now. Hopefully that'll die down over time.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMasterSword View Post
    Vulkan 190
    Captain with power sword and storm bolter 118
    Command Squad 4 flamer + apothecary + razorback 175
    Both HQ's are good selections. At 1500 points I'd only take one or the other. If you choose to take the Captain I would recommend a Relic blade since you lose the extra attack with the storm bolter anyway. The Command squad will just burn through horde, but I would consider getting at least one powerfist.

5 Terminators with cyclone 230
    Dreadnought with multi-melta and heavy flamer + drop pod 150
    Terminators are very fluffy for a Salamander list. Normally with Vulkan in the list I'd recommend TH/SS Terminators and attach him to the squad to take advantage of his chapter tactics. If you get them I would get a Land Raider for these guys.

Dreadnought looks good.

10 man tac squad flamer, multimelta, combiflamer + rhino 215
    10 man tac squad flamer, Missle Launcher, combiflamer + rhino 215
    10 man tac squad flamer, Missle Launcher + rhino 205
    At 1500 points you really only need 2 Tactical squads. Consider dropping one and giving your sergeants powerfists. If you ever plan on combat squadding these guys Razorbacks would be a good option. Also, a meltagun or two would be good. With some of your leftover points I'd use that Whirlwind you mentioned.

As far as your original list goes I'd play it. I consider any time you have a valid list and looking to just play for fun you're fine. Besides, it'll give you a chance to see what works for you. You've got a great theme going. Try it out and have fun. If you decide to stay with the hobby I would recommend a few minor changes. Consider getting some MM Attack bikes for you Fast attack and a Vindicator or AC/HB Predator for your heavy support at a later time, or just proxy some in.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Chirality; June 12th, 2009 at 15:55.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply!

Well I could give someone in the command squad as well as a flamer I think. I have most of it built but unpainted and don't mind a bit of chopping. I also realised that I have a librarian in terminator armour. The only reason the captain was really there was to have the flamey command squad lol.

The popularity of salamanders did bother me a bit, but I couldn't be bothered to lop the arms off all of my poor marines to make black templars with BP+CCW. When I was younger I tried BT- although at the time that just involved spraying black spray paint everywhere... Also thought white scars with everything I can outflanking but similar list to below but I would feel sorry for the drop pod dread coming down on its lonesome on turn 1...

Actually...I just thought if I kinda make my own ish chapter I could buy both Vulkan and Khan and choose to use one or t'other...hmmm...decisions...

Sgt powerfists are probs a good idea. So 2 tac squads would really be enough? Meh I thought I might need 3 but I would like to field that whirlwind- my main opponents are orks and IG and after a few games getting to grips with the rules they've already learned to hate it.

+ Reply to Thread