1750 troop heavy - tourney list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 troop heavy - tourney list

1750 – Bros. Grim Tourney (65pts short)

HQ

100 – Company Command Squad
    Regimental Standard, Vox Caster, Frag grenades
    Advisors: Master of Ordinance,

70 - Primaris Psyker

Troops

425 - 1st Infantry Platoon
    [110] Platoon Command
    | 4 Flamers, Power weapon, Commissar with power fist
    [55] Chimera Tank
    Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers

[65] – Infantry Squad
    Grenade Launcher, Auto Cannon

[65] – Infantry Squad

[65] – Infantry Squad

[65] – Infantry Squad
    Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter

140 – Veterans
    3 Plasma Guns, 1 Laz Cannon, Vox Caster

100 – Veterans (Air Mobile)
    3 Meltaguns

100 – Veterans (Ground Mobile)
    | 3 Meltaguns
    55 – Chimera Tank
    Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers

Fast Attack

130 – Valkyrie Assault Carrier
    Multi-laser, 2 Multiple Rocket Pods, Searchlight, Extra Armor

55 – Rough Riders
    Las Pistol, Hunting Lance, Frag and Krak

Heavy Support

170 – Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Battle Cannon, Hull Heavy Bolter, 2 Heavy Bolter Sponsons

200 – Leman Russ Demolisher
    Demolisher Cannon, Hull Laz Cannon, 2 Heavy bolter Sponsons

140 – Medusa
    Medusa Siege Cannon, Hull Heavy Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers

Heya, kinda new to posting lists but I read the rules and I think this doesn't violate anything. Anyway, I'm trying to get more into 40k tournaments and tried whipping this thing up. I plan on using the infantry platoon for most anti-infantry tasks and well as light transport popping if necessary. Primary anti tank will be dealt with by the meltagun veteran squads deploying by tank or valkery. The 3rd vet squad with 3 plasmas and a lazcannon are for any meqs or FNP units. The tanks will offer support fire where it's needed but was planning on using the medua for knocking out heavy tanks.

Not the best 40k gamer but any and all criticism is appricated. Oh, almost forgot, the list is 65 points short which i'm thinking of putting into the command squad, was thinking of dropping the Master or ordinance, give them melta and shoving them in a chimera. Thanks for any help you can give. (as for the infantry platoon, ignore any point costs with brackets around them, they add up to the total platoon cost at the top)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

HQ: Lose the vox caster. No one else has it that it would really benefit so its not worth it. maybe give teh command squad some special weapons instead to give it more of a threat level and to make it able to hold out on its own longer than it will with no special weapons. If you didnt have the MoO or the Regimental Standards i would suggest to have teh squad in a chimera, but its better if you dont with the way you have your HQ squad set up. Also where do you plan to stick your Psyker?

Troops: The only thing I dont like is the platoon squad. I would be fine with the powerfist and the power weapon if they were not in a chimera. If you want to keep the heavy close combat weapons I would lose the chimera, but if you want to keep the chimera I would lose the heavy close combat weapons. Because if their in the chimera their not going to be able to use teh close combat weapons. If your afraid they will get slaughtered before they can get close enough dont worry, the number of squads you have will give them enough cover to keep them safe if all things go according to plan. Apart from that your troop choice is fine.

Fast Attack: Fine with me.

Heavy Support: Im a bit iffy about the demolisher but if it works for you then its fine by me. Its just you have a weird combination of weapons on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I'm with Marrius on the HQ - drop the Vox Caster. Also the Master of ordinance has been regularly described (not by me - I've never tried him) as being too inaccurate.
    If you really want to take the Psyker then you have to hide him somewhere otherwise he's going to be shot by something big and nasty pretty quickly

With the troops I think if your taking a powerfist, power weapon and 4 flamers then you need a chimera to get them to the fight, rather than to protect them from it. Also now Chimera's can ferry other troops around after they've dropped the platoon command squad at it's destination so it's definately not going to waste. If you hide your platoon command squad amongst your other ones then by the time it gets anywhere interesting mots of the game will be over, and you risk it being assaulted or shot up before you even get to use the flamers.

You appear to be lacking in AT power - if you face AV 14 tanks then you appear to be relying on one veteran lascannon and your melta veterans. if your opponent pops open your Valkyrie and your chimera your melta's definately aren't going anywhere fast and a couple of AV 14 tanks will just shurg off one lascannon most of them time (unless your good at rolling lot's of 6's). You could change the Valkyrie for a Vendetta for abit more AT power but if that get's popped open and as does the ground mobile squad your down again to one lascannon.
    You could easily swap some autocannon's or the heavy bolter in your infantry squad's for some more lascannon's or get some lascannon support squad's in your platoon.

With your heavy support it would probably be best if you dropped the heavy bolter sponsoons and the hull one on the battle tank. Here hull lascannon's will provide abit more AT if your running out of infantry targets to shoot at. Also some people like to stick sponsoon plasma cannon's on demolishers, but I don't know how well that works
    and on the 8th day god made a talking poodle and forgot all about us
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice so far, here's some info on the issues you brought up with the army.

I've already reworked some stuff for more AT, CCS now has 3 meltas a banner and a chimera to ride in. No more vox. Also I had planned on using the Medusa as a primary AT weapon. S10 with AP1 on a blast template seems really good, and reasonably accurate especially if gunning for large tanks.

As for the psyker, he'll probably be joining a command squad or infantry squad depending of where he's needed, I enjoy him for the extra boost in firepower in such a mobile package.

As for the men with the Close Combat stuff in the chimera. I may be horribly wrong on this but if memory serves, isn't it possible to charge out of a close topped vehicle so long as it does not move for the entire turn? I was going to look it up before committing that unit to the army list but i never got around to it.

Lastly the tanks. They're equipped like that mostly to keep the army wusiwug but I enjoy the load out regardless. Plasma cannons on the demolisher are nice if I KNOW I'm up against a lota terrmies but I'm trying to stay balanced and they really make the tank a little pricey for a role so narrow. Plus heavy bolters on the standard russ have saved my butt on many occasions. It remains a reliable source of firepower even if the battle cannon is destroyed, and even if it's not destroyed 9 S5 attacks are always nice for mopping up whatever the battle cannon doesn't annihilate.
    Last edited by Gregsclafani; June 13th, 2009 at 03:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

the Medusa could actually be used for AT I guess, but if it starts being a nuisence then opponents will shoot at it and it will probs die with AV 12 open topped.

more melta's is good, and I must say I did like the idea of the Psyker's lightning arc.

I don't know if they can charge out the chimera or not but if you spend the first couple of turns with them in the chimera, then off load them they can still charge next turn or the turn after, and your chimera can then shoot and ferry other people around, just cause they can't assault out of it doesn't mean they can't go places in it.

Plasma cannon's are S7 AP 2 blast, and theres two of them. Yes they work brilliantly vs termies but against other infantry if they hit (and you ought to once with two) it's still like firing up to 5 or so auto hitting krak missiles at them. Still if you find the heavy bolters work and are happy with them then that's up to you, I'm just making a suggestion for an alternative, and 9 S5 AP 4 shots are nice.
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I was worried about that with the Medusa. I've only used it in one game and it never got a chance to fire. It's only direct fire, no barrage, so I'm going to hide it behind one of the Russ tanks or a chimera for at least a cover save and then move it out when it needs to fire.

Looked up the rule and it ends up: Yes you can assault out of closed top vehicles so long as the vehicle has not moved yet. Something to remember and can be unusually helpful if your opponent forgets to cover that angle.

And lastly on the plasma cannons, yeah I can see your point but what really bursts my bubble is when I fight armies with lots of light troops and I'm firing plasma cannons at things that could be taken down by frag missiles. In addition with the short range of the Demolisher cannon I often find myself moving it the 6 inches closer to the enemy as needed, making the all of but 1 of the tank's secondary weapons useless for that turn.

Well anyway, I'm going to be playing the above list today, with the minor modifications mentioned before, I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmaster View Post
    the Medusa could actually be used for AT I guess, but if it starts being a nuisence then opponents will shoot at it and it will probs die with AV 12 open topped.
    It actually lives longe than what most people suspect. Out of the 5 games I played so far with it I have only lost it once and that was to a 4 melta guns six inches away. So far I have been keeping a track of the vehicles it has killed without dying and right now Im up to 5 and all of that was from one game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

when I make up 2k points I'm going to run 3 in a squad as that will completely flatten an area but hopefully makes them abit more durable as a) they can't kill them all and b) with 3 to kill they might just not bother.

Still it depends on your opponent and what you have in the rest of your army
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp, just got back from a tournie, I got 24th place out of 35 or somthing.

The Medusa was ok, but only got 2 kills between 3 games (another leman russ, and a land raider) It's relatively inaccurate with it's shots and I've found that some armies proved the medusa to be completely worthless. I was thinking of switching it out for Vendetta but I'll play test it a bit more.

I've found that the vets in the chimera to be the most annoying unit to get near enemy vechiles. I think in all 3 games their tank blew up or became immobilized with the vets left nowhere near anything. Still going to play them but gonna try and get some extra armor on their tank perhaps.

Rough riders proved usless as well, they cost 55 points and most opponents appear to have the ability to slay em before they get close enough.

Overall I like the list I made up, so I'm gonna keep using it as is (with the modifications I mentioned above)

Thanks all for your advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

you need to aim the medusa at enemy infantry ideally, only use it to try and take out tanks if you have to.
    (I'm not a big fan of the bastion breacher shellls).
    Still Leman Russ + Land Raider/3 is more points than the medusa costs so that's not bad.
    Demolisher is better at shooting at tanks as its also got a hull Lascannon. But if you get rid of the rough riders then you can change the valkyrie for a vendetta with its 3 twin linked lascannon's.
    Anyway well done on 24th, I have never been to a tournament but I suspect playing with a scratch built army that you've not had much experience with before is pretty good. Also in every game of 40K the dice have the ultimate decision over who wins and who loses.
    The rep button is good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast