Ig noob!!!! 500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ig noob!!!! 500pts

So, me and eleven others decided to start out building new armies at 500pts each. Each person had to choose a different army (one of each of the 12 different ones), so I thought the IG would be good. Only rules are, must be FOC legal and no independant characters (though I know in 500pt this would be silly). As I will be facing each army this starting force can't be specific against one type (though would have been soooo much easier) and as i'm not familiar with the different codexs yet, thought i'd ask for some advise.

Anyways, been reading the new IG codex and after ALOT of head scratching came up with this. Please comment

HQ

COMPANY COMMAND SQUAD
    -Senior Company Commander with Power Fist
    -Regimental Standard Veteran
    -Vox-caster Veteran
    -Heavy Flamer Veteran
    -Grenade Launcher Veteran
    Total 110pts

TROOPS

INFANTRY PLATOON
    PLATOON COMMAND SQUAD
    -Junior Platoon Commander
    -Vox-caster Guardsman
    -Autocannon Heavy Weapons Team
    -Sniper Rifle Guardsman

INFANTRY SQUAD
    -Sergeant
    -Vox-caster Guardsman
    -Missile Launcher Heavy Weapons Team
    -Grenade Launcher Guardsman
    -5 Guardsman

INFANTRY SQUAD
    -Sergeant
    -Vox-caster Guardsman
    -Missile Launcher Heavy Weapons Team
    -Grenade Launcher Guardsman
    -5 Guardsman
    Total 200pts
    VETERAN SQUAD
    -Veteran Sergeant with power Weapon
    -Vox-caster Veteran
    -2 Grenade Launcher Veteran
    -Flamer Veteran
    -5 Veteran Guardsman
    CHIMERA ARMOURED TRANSPORT
    -Heavy Flamer
    -Heavy Bolter
    Total 155pts

FAST ATTACK
    SCOUT SENTINAL
    -Multilaser

GRAND TOTAL 500pts

So, any good? Am I lacking anything? OTT on anything? Please comment

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now your list is ok, but you have unnesscesary equipment like vox casters. So your playing alot of different armies so you need versatillity in your weapons. The best thing I can think of is grenade and missile launchers because they can shoot blast or krak shells making them good against everything from orks to daemonhunters.

Now the powerfists are also kind of useless too. Your trying to make a shooting army in a H2H army, plus their expensive.

Heres what I would use:

Command Squad
    -Master Of Ordanance
    -Camo
    = 100 points

Veteran Squad
    -3x Grenade Launchers
    -Missile Launcher
    = 100 points

Veteran Squad
    -3x Grenade Launchers
    -Missile Laucher
    = 100 points

Veteran Squad
    -3x Grenade Launchers
    -Missile Laucher
    = 100 points

Veteran Squad
    -3x Grenade Launchers
    -Missile Laucher
    = 100 points

Total = 500 points

Now not only is this somewhat competitive but it is also smart to buy.

Now all you need is:

4 boxes of 10 guardsmen = $100.00
    Heavy Weapons Box = $45.00
    Single Heavy Weapons Box = $15.00

Now with the heavy weapons, put all the men that you would normally glue on the big bases on extra small ones you get with the 20 men boxes. You will need 6. Now glue the missile launcher onto them and the pointing arms onto the loaders. You can also glue the mortars on bases. You are getting 6 weapons instead of 3.

With the 8 guardsmen you save from putting the heavy weapons on a small base you can build the command squad. For the commander glue on a chainsword and laspistol, the Master of Ordanance can be a guy with a vox caster. The 4 people other people just have las guns.

This will leave you with 2 extra guardsmen and is a very economical and competitive buy. Normally I would equip everybody with camo but you dont have the points so remember deploy in cover ALL THE TIME.

Not only will you be bring 46 models to the table in a 500 point game but with a BS of 4 they might actually hit something making them pretty deadly.

Just out of curiosity, which out of the 12 armies is not being played, my guess is Dark Eldar.
    Last edited by xXTrancerXx; June 15th, 2009 at 05:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

HQ: Remove the Heavy Flamer and Vox. The heavy flamer is too expensive and the vox is not needed for these small types of games. I am iffy about the regimental standards and the powerfist Im fine with.

Troops: again drop the vox casters. They will not be needed in such a small game. I do think you have enough troops. A little too much if you ask me. 25 guardsmen should be fine enough. To give yourself a even greater edge and more of a threat to the others I would suggest getting a leman russ battle tank. No sponsons, no hull mounted weapon. The battle cannon should be enough to kill anything in a 500pt game.

Fast Attack: You could lose the sentinel because one wont last long. You could use the points of the sentinel to buy more weapons for the leman russ like heavy bolter sponsons.

Well, thats my two cents. One last thing though. I am wondering what other armies will be used in this game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

it looks like I'm thirding the drop the voxes thing. Also it would probs be best if you dropped the powerfists, alot of points for not much effect.

Also I'd strongly advise don't take Trancer's suggestion of grenade launchers. Certainly not in that large numbers. The battlecannon idea by Marius would be very nasty, but there is a very big limit to what 12 grenade launchers can do. It'll stop any of your opponents transports but that's about it against MEQ armies, and missile launchers can do that anyway. Krak grenades can't piece power armour and frag grenades can scatter. Some is ok but I'd certainly advise some plasma guns. These can also drop transports but they mutilate power armour guys and if it overheats and kills a guardsmen no ones really going to shed any tears over him. Also plasma's effective against any infantry, just point for point it's better against MEQ's.
    and on the 8th day god made a talking poodle and forgot all about us
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i take grenade launchers all the time - you shouldnt underestimate them - krak grenades hitting on 3s is pretty good for 5 points. Plus you can move and shoot them 24 inches. It sure beats lasguns. Plus how many armies main troops are MEQs, 6/12
    Last edited by xXTrancerXx; June 15th, 2009 at 18:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Grenade launchers have their merits but 12 of them in 500points is more than a tad OTT. Also the only real advantage they have over plasma (besides the ocupational hazard of over heating) is that you can fire 24" away on the move, and with missile launchers you definately don't want them doing too much moving
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are right, we both have our points - but it is inevitable you will have to move to capture an objective.

I was trying to thing up a cost effective / competitive 500 point list and buying lots of blisters has always been a pain for me. Ive been playing guard for years and only have 3 plasmas and 4 meltas. I do have 8 Flamers and 9 Grenade Launchers though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

you can buy 5 plasma's/melta's for £5 off GW if your short, and considering the price of warhammer in general I'd say that's pretty cost effective. Maybe if you gave 2 squad's plasma guns and missile launchers and 2 grenade launchers and missile launchers, 2 to hold nearby objectives and 2 to go get other ones
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a pretty good idea do they sell the plasmas in NA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I don't think they sell them in local stores but they certainly do online

5 plasma guns - £4.50
    5 meltaguns - £4.50
    You would probs have to pay postage and packing, and I don't know how much they'd cost in other currencies, but I think if you have a £10 or more order it's free postage in the UK
    Last edited by Chaosmaster; June 15th, 2009 at 20:18. Reason: fixing a hyperlink
    The rep button is good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast